CSEL Training Requirements

GM404

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
GM404
Greetings All...

I am a 600 TT private pilot that will be "going back to school" to get my IR and CSEL..eventually the CFI/II as well. I am wanting to do it all by part 61 and am a bit confused on the requirements. Long story short, I know I need 20 hours of dual for commercial/instrument operations for the CSEL. Where I am confused is the aeronautical experience part. I have plenty of night landings at a controlled airport and lots of XC time (most trips being in excessive of 500 NM day and night). I read the reg and it looks like I would have to *re-do* these XC flights once I am "in training".

What I would like to do is; get the dual I need for the IR and count 10 hours of that towards the CSEL. Then, with the remaining 10 hours, get the complex time that I need. I am good on commercial maneuvers, so I am just trying to figure out how I can knock out these ratings for the least amount of hours and $$$. And no, I am not looking to meet the "minimums" and "just pass a checkride"...I don't want to get stuck in some pseudo part 141 training where I have to log 50 hours to get experience I already have.

Thanks for your input!

If they are logged properly, you don't have to redo them. It isn't like 1 particular day you start your comm training. You could get your complex time in right after private if you wanted.

If they are logged properly, you don't have to redo them. It isn't like 1 particular day you start your comm training. You could get your complex time in right after private if you wanted.

That's good to hear. I thought that's how it might have worked, but it's been a number of years since I have dug in Pt 61 to see what's changed. So I could really do 10 hours of complex and be good to go? (in theory, anyway).

That's good to hear. I thought that's how it might have worked, but it's been a number of years since I have dug in Pt 61 to see what's changed. So I could really do 10 hours of complex and be good to go? (in theory, anyway).

Well, you still have to be able to complete all the pts tasks, and have the appropriate training documented. Most don't have everything documented properly, unless they have been planning it. For instance, night solo landings while the tower is open?

Well, you still have to be able to complete all the pts tasks, and have the appropriate training documented. Most don't have everything documented properly, unless they have been planning it. For instance, night solo landings while the tower is open?

True...thankfully I have been pretty good at keeping a pretty specific logbook.

Note that some of the CP-ASEL requirements are solo or "supervised solo" -- that means either you are the sole living human being in the plane, or you have an instructor along solely as an observer (and it's logged accordingly) and nobody else helping in any way. FWIW, my experience is that for someone with an IR, good basic proficiency, and the basic CP experience requirements met, a 3-day weekend usually works to get the CP done (including the practical test on the afternoon of Day 3).

Note that some of the CP-ASEL requirements are solo or "supervised solo" -- that means either you are the sole living human being in the plane, or you have an instructor along solely as an observer (and it's logged accordingly) and nobody else helping in any way. FWIW, my experience is that for someone with an IR, good basic proficiency, and the basic CP experience requirements met, a 3-day weekend usually works to get the CP done (including the practical test on the afternoon of Day 3).

Thanks, Ron...I appreciate it. I kinda thought this is how it would be, (and should be) but I know the FAA can be a little goofy and vague. I've practiced most of the commercial maneuvers since I got my private, so haven't been too concerned about that. I just didn't want to get hosed into flying a bunch of needless hours if I have actually met the requirements.

When I was training for my PP, I was at a "pilot mill" school that offered 141 and 61 training. I did part 61 but they were training me like I was a 141 student. After fighting and fighting to get my night XC dual with the school, I went to a small FBO and asked a CFI if I could go and do the XC with him. Well, the NEXT day he signed me off for my checkride and was floored as to *why* I hadn't taken my checkride yet. If I had stuck with the original school, I would have flown another 10 hours..AT LEAST. So...just don't want that to happen doing the CSEL.

Back