Crosswind Landings

GauzeGuy

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
GauzeGuy
Hello all,

First post here, though I've posted a bit over on studentpilot.com

I'm a PPL student, flying a Cessna 172. The hours I have put in a growing to be quite a bit more than I'd like, with landing issues being the main problem. I feel like I've finally been able to get most of it down, though crosswinds pose the biggest challenge at this point.

Ironically, I tend to do better with a stronger, direct crosswind, rather than a smaller crosswind component. My big issue with the mild crosswinds is over controlling -- hence why the stronger crosswinds have typically worked better for me. I get the whole "wing to the wind, rudder to the runway" bit, but trying to make that happen on final has been problematic.

In doing a search through the forum, it seems that flying 5' or 10' above the runway while maintaining the center line is the most recommended fix for the issue. Other than that, any other recommendations that might help me through this issue? :confused:

If over controlling is the problem, force yourself not to.

If the nose swings past centerline, you pushed too hard with that foot, push with the other foot.

Same with aileron.

Don't let yourself go back and forth, dampen yourself. Use just enough.

Only way to fix it is practice.

If you normally push the pedal 1", try 1/2" increments. Focus. Do two of them quickly if you need a full 1" after all.

Tie what the eyeballs see directly to the controls.

If the runway is moving quickly away from where you want it, more control movement to stop it. If its moving slowly, less. Ratios. Pressures.

And relax about it. It'll come. Be rational instead. Think. Over controlling means the controls are moving too much. How do you stop that?

If you were running around the room flailing your arms and someone told you to stop flailing, what would you do? ;) ;) ;)

Don't flail the controls.

I was just flying with a student who is very close to his checkride but xwind landings were his nemesis. We finally got a good day to practice them and they continued to be a problem until I told to not land but just fly down the runway a few feet above it. That did the trick. He nailed the landing and every one thereafter. Good luck!

If you understand the concept, but are overcontrolling, it's just a matter of practice. Relax and keep working at it.

I had the same problem for my first couple landings in a 172 after transitioning from a low wing. You have identified what you're doing wrong - you'll snap out of it.

Sounds a bit like you are flying the "Maneuver" and not the airplane. Let me explain...you understand the concept of wing into the wing and rudder the nose over, you said that. But im guessing that you don't have the sight picture down when you get to the runway yet. You don't just push the rudder and lower the wing. You need to give it enough rudder to maintain center line alignment, and enough aileron to keep the drift under control. All of these things are constantly changing so you need to keep your control inputs moving. Its not a big deal, you will get it just keep practicing on those windy days.

Flying is easier on crosswind days, it makes you pay attention.
On calm days, you have nothing to "fight" and you over control and make it harder than it should be.
A light touch, finese, treat her like a lady and you will be rewarded.

Watch a few episodes of Flying Wild Alaska, or Alaska Wing Men... really. Watching those guys/gals operate in 30-40 kt crosswinds made me feel a lot better about my 15-20 kt landings. Note how they maintain control and "fly it to the ground"... amazing. And don't get me wrong, watching a program isn't a substitute for learning and practice, but it shows you that it can be done.

Watch a few episodes of Flying Wild Alaska, or Alaska Wing Men... really. Watching those guys/gals operate in 30-40 kt crosswinds made me feel a lot better about my 15-20 kt landings. Note how they maintain control and "fly it to the ground"... amazing. And don't get me wrong, watching a program isn't a substitute for learning and practice, but it shows you that it can be done.

Also watch what they do as soon as they touch down... Full control deflection into the wind. Never stop flying it, touchdown is not the end of the flight.

We could all use a little more of their mojo. ;)

How wide and long is the runway you are practicing on ??. I fought the same thing when I was learning to fly, and almost quit. The solution for me was to go to a nearby airport with a very wide , long runway and shoot some landings. The runway I was using was narrow and did not give me a chance to analyze what I was doing wrong. The wider runway gave me room to be off a bit and figure out what I was doing wrong. If I landed 15 or 20 feet of the center line we where still safely on the runway. The first landing on the wide runway was 20 feet or more off center, but it allowed me to play with it and try to get my brain and my feet to cooperate. The second was better , and the third , fourth, and fifth, were on the center line. I have had no problems since ( about 30 years ) . Which is not too say that all my landings are great by any stretch of the imagination !. I found that the wider, longer runway gave me the chance to land longer and work with it to grow my skills. Maybe it would work for you. If what you are doing is not working for you, what can you change to allow you time in the landing attitude to find that hand, eye , foot coordination you need ???. Change something, try a new aproach to the problem. Talk to your instructor and see if they have a suggestion to help. My instructor told me that he thought it would do no good but if I wanted to try it then he was willing to go. He told me later that he learned something new as well , that some times you have to be willing to be flexible to give a student all the room they need to learn. He was fantastic !!!!!!. I hope my embarrasing story may give you new hope and a different perspective. Keep trying and you will get there, and the reward will be a lifetime of the beauty of flight. It really is worth all the frustration. Fly safe and enjoy.

Randy

My son was having the same problem, strong x-winds were OK but light to moderate he was touching down slightly crooked. What we finaly did was I got him to touch down on the upwind main wheel and keep the wheel tracking the centerline of the runway, as long as possible with just the upwind main wheel touching, then increase power and take off again.

This was in a taildragger but you can do it in a 172 as well. Do it with your instructor of course.

Hello all,

I'm a PPL student, flying a Cessna 172.
In doing a search through the forum, it seems that flying 5' or 10' above the runway while maintaining the center line is the most recommended fix for the issue. Other than that, any other recommendations that might help me through this issue? :confused:

Welcome to the zoo....:yesnod::D

Another thought... you might try some lessons in a LSA. Really. I did about 30 hours in a 152 and had very little mastery of the pedals, it just wasn't needed. It was only after switching to the LSA (CT), did I realize how much I was missing. The extra pedal work finally made me feel like I was "flying" the plane, and made handling crosswinds much easier.

It's not 5-10 feet, it's 5-10 inches. From that altitude, in landing configuration, a teensy-tiny power reduction will result in a perfect landing if the airplane is on speed and aligned.

Hello all,

I'm a PPL student, flying a Cessna 172. The hours I have put in a growing to be quite a bit more than I'd like, with landing issues being the main problem. I feel like I've finally been able to get most of it down, though crosswinds pose the biggest challenge at this point.

Ironically, I tend to do better with a stronger, direct crosswind, rather than a smaller crosswind component. My big issue with the mild crosswinds is over controlling -- hence why the stronger crosswinds have typically worked better for me. I get the whole "wing to the wind, rudder to the runway" bit, but trying to make that happen on final has been problematic.

Back