Crosswind Landings Rock!

How do you deal with strong crosswinds?

• Do you avoid them?

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • Do you enjoy the challenge?

Votes: 44 77.2%
  • Do you exercise judgment and not even depart if XW component is too great?

Votes: 17 29.8%
  • Do you calculate XW component when you hear surface reports strong winds off runway heading?

Votes: 16 28.1%
  • Do you divert to avoid strong XW?

Votes: 3 5.3%
  • Do you seek out XW practice with an experienced CFI?

Votes: 10 17.5%

• Total voters
K

KennyFlys

Here's a video of numerous crosswind landings by turboprops through heavy jets. There's one particular characteristic you'll see in the more successful landings. What is it?

I figure this also a good time to introduce a poll on XW landings. Do you enjoy the challenge? Do you avoid them? Do you exercise judgment and not even depart if XW component is too great? Do you ever calculate XW component when you hear surface reports indicating strong winds off runway heading? Do you divert to avoid strong XW?

Attachments

• X-Wind_1.wmv
    5.7 MB · Views: 50
jeez most of those sucked

i enjoy the challenge of a crosswind. especially at my home airport that is 24 feet wide and has trees in 3 quadrants. can you say mechanical turbulence?

ive found as a CFI that the most common crosswind that is not corrected for is the very light one. when the component is 3 knots or less the student rarely perceives the crab and almost always ends up landing sideways and drifting to downwind side of runway. attention to detail is a must.

Wow, those were pretty crazy. Probably the best thing I saw on there were the pilots that broke off the approach and went around to find a better runway! I kind of enjoy xw landings, though I don't have much experience with them.

They all have very strong landing gear. :D It looks like there was a pretty strong crab in at touchdown.

Cross winds have not scared me for a while now, but trained on a runway that was 90 degrees to all others in the area, 40 feet wide surrounded on 3.5 sides by tall trees. The problem with that is that you never get used to stable cross winds as there were rotors constantly rolling off the trees. Figured that if I survived training there, few other airports would scare me. So far I haven't found any.

Do you avoid them? Nope....though I would not say I go looking for them either!

Do you enjoy the challenge? Not really...though when I do pull a good one off it feels great!

Do you exercise judgment and not even depart if XW component is too great? I have, and will again. If the XW is really fierce why risk it?

Do you calculate XW component when you hear surface reports strong winds off runway heading? Yes I carry an XW wheel on my kneeboard.

Do you divert to avoid strong XW? I have not yet, but I would.

Do you seek out XW practice with an experienced CFI? Not since I was getting my PPL, though I probably should.

Crosswinds do not really concern me. My view is that if it's possible I'm capable. If it is not possible I will find somewhere to land it where it becomes possible.

My biggest concern during large crosswinds is the taxing before and after the flight. The part I hate the most is the time it takes me between getting out of the airplane and getting it securely tied down. If there are people at the airport--these two become less of a concern.

I don't actively look for a CFI to cover crosswind landings. Although the last *REALLY* windy flight I made was with Tony during my BFR. Crazy bastard actually went up with me.

I land in moderate to strong crosswinds more often than not :eek: For me they are somewhere between an irritation and a challenge. I don't mean to imply I'm some superpilot or anything, just that circumstance provides that I end up landing in those conditions often and so I consider them commonplace, if not exactly "easy"! Fortunately I am also landing in either gravel or grass more often than not, which for a tailwheel airplane mitigates the "danger" somewhat. That being said there are days that I wish my airstrip was 50 feet long and 2500 feet wide ;) and days that I drive instead.

And then there are the times when taking off into a crosswind in the winter I am crabbed on the takeoff roll :eek:

Last edited:
I was screaming GO AROUND! for a few of those.

Some of those are the maximum crosswind test of the Boeing 777 prototype.

Anyone ever see the short video compilation of small planes landing in a somewhat light crosswind at a fly-in? I think about 1 in 10 managed to put the upwind wheel on the tarmac first. Eye-opening.

I don't actively look for a CFI to cover crosswind landings. Although the last *REALLY* windy flight I made was with Tony during my BFR. Crazy bastard actually went up with me.

yea what was I thinking. my logbook says 19G20 at a 30 degree angle. ya done good though, my arms were crossed.

In something like 3000 hrs and probably twice as many landings, I've never encountered a crosswind I couldn't land in. That doesn't mean I don't think such a wind exists, just that they're rare. Of course it helps that I've spent a lot of time in planes that do well with crosswinds and am based at an airport with crossed runways.

The biggest to date was a direct crosswind that the ASOS was calling 45G50 (steady is easier than gusty) on a fuel stop in the Baron coming home from Texas. I did need differential thrust (Baron) which is almost cheating, but the landing was surprisingly easy. The wind was so strong on the ground that it kept blowing fuel out of each tank I was trying to fill until I found a rag I could shield the opening with.

damn lance thats pretty strong. ive always felt that if i needed differential power it was probably time to find a different runway. steady is much better than gusty though. that 19G30 with jesse was quite the ride.

Crosswinds do not really concern me. My view is that if it's possible I'm capable. If it is not possible I will find somewhere to land it where it becomes possible.

My biggest concern during large crosswinds is the taxing before and after the flight.

I land in moderate to strong crosswinds more often than not :eek: For me they are somewhere between an irritation and a challenge. I don't mean to imply I'm some superpilot or anything, just that circumstance provides that I end up landing in those conditions often and so I consider them commonplace, if not exactly "easy"!
And then there are the times when taking off into a crosswind in the winter I am crabbed on the takeoff roll :eek:
These two posts pretty much cover my feelings as well

Anyone ever see the short video compilation of small planes landing in a somewhat light crosswind at a fly-in? I think about 1 in 10 managed to put the upwind wheel on the tarmac first. Eye-opening.
I sure have. That was at OSH one year. I add it to my list of reasons to not fly into that place during the show week. Too many numnuts in the cockpit for me. If I want to be around people that don't have a clue as to how to use the machine they are in and cause a hazard to those around them I will just drive to work.

All the answers in your poll are questions. You are asking a question and the only choices are to ask more questions. It is like asking someone "is the sky blue" and they respond "is the sky red?" In the end you have not gotten an answer.

grammar-nazi.jpg

They're fun and just another part of landing at my home base airport. Especially in the colder months because the winds tend to be VERY fickle. At a nearby airoprt that my teacher used to take me to practice them durring my private training the winds were like this <- ->. Made things interesting and really taught the importance of flying it on the ground. Half way thru my training it wasn't a big deal at all.

All the answers in your poll are questions. You are asking a question and the only choices are to ask more questions. It is like asking someone "is the sky blue" and they respond "is the sky red?" In the end you have not gotten an answer.
Check the one most applicable to you.

Multiple practice landings with 90 degrees direct crosswind off right wing in a C150, and also in a 172.
Would not want to try anything higher in those aircraft.

I could easily answer "yes" and "no" to each question... every takeoff and landing is different.

I have operated in winds gusting past book limits, but not by much.
Haven't diverted to another field yet because of wind, but I will if I have to.
To those who are not sure if they want to expand their personal limit, I say: if you can hold the centerline on the takeoff roll until you lift off, you should be OK, if you pay attention while climbing out.
And if you try an approach and do not feel safe trying to flare and touch down, go around and either try again or go somewhere else.

yea what was I thinking. my logbook says 19G20 at a 30 degree angle. ya done good though, my arms were crossed.

I think you made a typo.

Mine says 19G34 in your hand writing.

Check the one most applicable to you.

How do you deal with strong crosswinds? I apply proper technique
Do you avoid them?
No
Do you enjoy the challenge?
yes
Do you exercise judgment and not even depart if XW component is too great?
yes
Do you calculate XW component when you hear surface reports strong winds off runway heading?
I can do it in my head. Also my airport has two runways. One E-W and one N-S so usually is not a problem
Do you divert to avoid strong XW?
I can if I have to and have that as part of my plan to know what other airports are around. Not just for XW but in case the principal airport closes for some reason.
Do you seek out XW practice with an experienced CFI?
No, I can practice on my own. In primary training my CFI would take me out and we would practice XW until I could do them well and then I would have problem landing without the XW.

Back