Crosswind kicked my a....

Tomahawk674

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Tomahawk674
Went up today, it had been about a month since I had gone up. (School, WX, etc). The last time I had been up, it was just T&Gs but there had been very little wind, which lead to 6 greasers and a floaty, which left me very satisfied... err not today...

I just wanted a fun local flight so the CFI suggested flying to a little airport closeby. Wind was 270/14 gusting 18, we took off rw 17.

When we go to our destination we set up for runway (also a 17) and then I noticed how much "fun" the landing was going to be. Lot of work and intervention from the CFI...

When we headed back, we chose rw 31 to help easy things out. Still, I got my but whooped by the wind. Did 4 touch and goes on 31 but my landings barely got better.

All in all, a good learning experience even though I though I was just going to go cruising around. Turned out to be a heck of a crosswing lesson.

Oh that's right, Mark did say something about wind this morning ... :rolleyes:

You know, I've found that with a little time between flights, the thing I "forget" quickest is that 'disconnect' for your hands and feet necessary for a crosswind landing.

Normally, coordinated flight involves coordination of hands and feet in one fashion - we all know the feeling - it's the first lesson in manipulating your planes path through the air.

Crosswind landings involve 'disconnecting' that muscle memory, and using a different one: Feet for nose alignment, and aileron for left/right movement. It just ain't natural, but it MUST be learned and remembered, IF you want to master the X-wind landing!

Good luck with yours!

Back