Crossing Eglin Airspace

tecprotb

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Tim RV10
In June I'm flying from DFW to South FL. I'm wondering what to expect crossing over Eglin air space. I have flown from OSH to Destin and used the North/ South corridor, and It was difficult enough. I don't plan to go far enough south to use the East/ West corridor. If I'm using flight following will they route me around?
Thanks,
Tim

Yes Tim, if flight following they're pretty good about routing. There is restricted space they've always directed me around. MOA's they've worked me through, but be ready for some amended clearances. If it's real busy or bad weather and I'm IFR, they've put me on the airway north of Crestview a few times. I usually pass through going from Dallas to Orlando and back.

Best,

Dave

just curious, what was difficult about the N-S corridor ?

we would leave peoria punch in direct destin and it was always a straight line, no issues

Don't let the Elgin guys scare you. If you are ifr they will reroute as needed. Sounds like you are Vfr though so as long as you stay on flight following and pay attention to your charts you will be fine. That east west corridor is full of sight seeing traffic and military anyways.

just curious, what was difficult about the N-S corridor ?

we would leave peoria punch in direct destin and it was always a straight line, no issues

When flying in from the North I was given land markers to fly to, it was not direct. I had to ask for vectors.

To better clarify my question, When using FF will I still have to use the East/ West corridor, or will they allow me direct through the MOA's.
If I have to fly that far south then I will plan accordingly.

To better clarify my question, When using FF will I still have to use the East/ West corridor, or will they allow me direct through the MOA's.

I flew IFR and planned to use the N-S corridor. They told me no to worry about it and go direct since it was cold. I wouldn't think E-W would be that big of a deal since you don't need to cross through any restricted areas.

as far as FF, I didn't think they could prohibit you from going into a MOA since you're VFR, but I'd be interested to find out for sure.

Two choices: fly north of the restricted areas like north of crestview and defuniak area or fly south of the restricted areas and take the east west corridor.

The east west corridor is not really a big deal just stay a bit south of the beach and above 2000 feet and youll be out of most of the traffic.

When you went through the north south corridor the restricted areas were hot which is why you were directed to probably crestview and then south to field 2 and white point.

Eglin controllers have always been good to deal with, and accomodate all types of traffic. They get a lot of VFR pilots into and out of Destin, they do get busy, holiday weekends can get a little sporty, lots of folks flying to and from the beaches. :D It can be a little intimidating at first, but they will normally help you and keep you out of their way and out of trouble. ;)

Have anybody seen a sundowner c23 with wheel pants yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd plan on using the corridors but expect the possibility of being cleared direct. Last time I was there (which was a while ago) I was using FF and they cleared me direct through the restricted areas.

In June I'm flying from DFW to South FL. I'm wondering what to expect crossing over Eglin air space. I have flown from OSH to Destin and used the North/ South corridor, and It was difficult enough. I don't plan to go far enough south to use the East/ West corridor. If I'm using flight following will they route me around?
Thanks,
Tim

I've flow IFR into Destin several times from approaching from the west and have often been vectored direct thru the restricted airspace.

It's pretty easy if you're getting flight following.

If you ask to land at Destin, Eglin Approach will ask "Confirm you have both Eglin and Destin in sight"

I used to be both in flight test squadron on Eglin and a CFI at the military aero club. Occasionally, GA traffic intending on going into Destin would land at Eglin instead... and pilot would be surprised when their airplane became surrounded by youngsters with assault rifles. Get flight following, enjoy the view of the beaches, and don't mistakenly land at Eglin.

Back