Crossing Colorado Plateau VFR

iamtheari

Administrator
Management Council Member
Display Name

Display name:
Ari
I'm snowed in and dreaming of Arizona. I'm daydreaming of going there the dignified way: in my own airplane with no security theater or noisy transmission of airborne diseases. I'll end up going commercial, of course, but it will take just as long as flying myself and cost about the same for two adults to go, plus we can bring our dog with, so I can't be blamed for thinking about it. (Commercial flights mean we have a 1 hour drive to airport, leave 1 hour early in case of bad roads or traffic, add 1 hour for security, 2 hours to Denver, 1 hour layover or up to 72 hours if unlucky, 2 hours to Phoenix, 1 hour to get bags, 1 hour taxi ride to family's part of town--total of 10 hours vs. 8 hours in the air plus two fuel stops and a 1/2-hour taxi ride on arrival.) The direct route takes me along familiar airspace as far as the vicinity of KRKS, and then places I've never been by ground or by air across the Colorado Plateau between the Front Range and other mountain ranges to the west. (Forgive my unfamiliarity with the names, I did not pay attention in geography class and still haven't found a good atlas or other source to actually learn the subranges of the Rockies.)

What are the main hazards to VFR flight through that region, basically from Casper, WY (KCPR) to Tuba City, AZ (T03)? Should I just go? I have to be flexible in my plans anyhow because of the unpredictable layover in Denver.

Depends on the weather. You could have made it today. Direct is doable. Probably make it at 10.5k or below.

Last edited:
First question is always what aircraft? Looking at the VFR sectional, I'd forget about Rock Springs and go more east to avoid higher terrain.

Looks totally doable VFR. Pay very careful attention to the weather. You'll need to stop for fuel in the middle, probably 4V0. Basically, you need good forecast ceilings, higher than the tallest peaks. Visibility should be forecast more than 10 miles. And check the winds aloft. Around the peaks, winds above 20-25 knots could either rattle your teeth or result in downdrafts that are hard to outclimb. Daylight only, as there is nothing around there at night: you'd be flying IMC even if it's technically VFR legal. I also carry a Pulse-Oximeter during anything over around 8000', but you'll need to make your own call on that. I live at sea level and it sounds like you don't, so you're probably more acclimated to it. I tend to find that, for myself, I'm good at 9,500' as long as I remember to take deeper breaths. At 10,500', I start to feel the effects in earnest, and that's where I want O2 if I'm going to be up for a bit.

The big thing about flying VFR is to have no deadlines. If there's pressure to get somewhere, often we make dumb choices to go anyway. Realize that your flying day may take several days to materialize in either direction.

First question is always what aircraft? Looking at the VFR sectional, I'd forget about Rock Springs and go more east to avoid higher terrain.
Following the Green River south of RKS is fairly benign. Heck CPR D--> T03 looks okay too.

To the OP, just watch the weather and plan to fly about a day after a front passes through. The western slope has some high ground elevations but it's easy enough to avoid the dark brown in the sectional....and the severe clear after a system blows through makes for nice sight-seeing along the way. There's a lot of remote country so flight following is a really good idea. I also carry sufficient gear to stay warm if I have to make an unplanned stop either on or off airport. One other thing, do the trip in daylight...

Good tips so far. I wouldn't actually plan to land at Tuba City. That was just an airport I picked to show the general area I'm asking about. I'd be flying an Arrow and probably make fuel stops in Casper and Grand Junction, with a route of S25 KCPR KGJT DVC KGEU, for legs of 323, 245, and 385 nm (DVC adds 5 nm to the leg but buys more clearance from peaks in the interior of the plateau). The segment KCPR KGJT DVC is the one I'm asking about, because of those really dark brown colors on the sectional chart to the west and closer to the east of the magenta line.

In that region, when the weather becomes IFR or severely windy does it stay that way a long time or tend to blow over in a day or two? That would be my main concern, is getting stuck for a week or more due to weather. I have to build in a couple of days of flexibility even flying on United so I don't mind a chance of waiting for two or three days. But if the delay has a significant probability of being two or three weeks, it would really hurt. (Not enough to justify get-there-itis, but enough to have to buy a commercial round-trip flight and abandon my plane for a few months.)

Good tip on the pulse oximeter especially. I recommend all pilots get to the pharmacy and buy one, then use it. I have one in the cockpit every time I fly. On my long IFR cross-country we were mostly at 12,000 MSL and I wanted to keep tabs on myself. I live at 2,000 MSL and definitely had lower O2 saturation after a few hours at 12,000 MSL but still in the good brain operating range. All told, that day accounted for a little over 11 hours in the logbook, about 5 under the hood, and about 1200 nm round trip. That was enough to inspire faith in the ability of plane and pilot to make a serious trip, either VFR or IFR, through mountainous regions, as long as one plans for it.

The weather usually blows through quickly. A 2 day storm is unusual. I did get stuck in Riverton WY once for a couple days because of some pesky freezing fog. I'm a bit on the conservative side with that stuff.

Gas stops at Casper and Grand junction will be on the spendy side. You may want to check 100ll.com to find cheaper gas. Rawlins does have a crew car and the FBO guys are helpful. Can't say much for the town of Rawlins though, Pizza Hut Subway McDonald's and Burger King might be the safest food options. Have you had your hepatitis shots? Okay that question really is for all travelers.

I don't think there is such a thing as too conservative with freezing fog. Good thought on fuel prices. It looks like those two stops are really painful for full service but not bad for self. Grand Junction is $4.35 self and $5.80 full, quite the spread.

Direct goes right through MOAB. Id file a flight plan or stay over highways. Those remote deserts are DESERTED. Some impressive scenery the canyon on the colorado right above MOAB where the old bridge is....All these red spires...

Back