Cross wind take off

26 G 34 In the 152- I have no idea how much was considered crosswind ( this was landing) I was rather busy and didn't have a choice of another airport.... So I puckered and managed

It's more normal for it to be 17 G 24. so far the students have dealt with 15-18 with a lot of help. But, they catch on pretty quick.

There's nothing wrong with using the nosewheel as a crutch, but if you're doing things right, you shouldn't need to do this. You should have the appropriate rudder and aileron inputs that the nose gear is entirely spurious as you reach rotation speed.

Incorrect.

Just for discussion's sake, if I have a left x-wind and I push on the right rudder pedal while my C-182's nose gear is still on the ground, I'm headed for the right side ditch. Period. There's a whiffle tree and a bungee cord that are going to make sure I do.

I'm not "using it as a crutch", in regards to the nose gear. I'm explaining (because the original poster specifically asked about a Cessna 182) that up until the point enough weight comes off the nose gear and the strut extends all the way downward into the centering cam, right rudder is not correct.

You can't do it because you have nose wheel steering up until that point.

He asked about a 182, so I'm explaining the 182's systems. This falls under: Know your aircraft.

As soon as you get the weight off the nose gear, and once it falls into the centering cam and the nose gear isn't pointing to the right anymore, then you're correct. Then you can apply right rudder.

That happens at rotation speed unless you're doing soft field takeoffs in gusty cross-winds and holding the nose in the air. If he's doing that, good luck.

Unless you're at some crazy DA and weight loading, a C-182 doesn't exactly loiter near the ground after liftoff. That transition from runway to flying happens plenty quick.

Anyway, at rotation and liftoff in the 182, by the time you apply that "immediate" right rudder at liftoff, you're going to be taking it right back out to allow the aircraft to weathervane into the crab, because otherwise you're going to be blown downwind.

There's no need to "stay in ground effect" if you took off at normal rotation speed. Unless you're doing softfield takeoffs and forcing it into the air as soon as she'll fly, you should get into the normal climb attitude immediately.

Have you flown the 182 much? Grab the POH and play along here...

*Published* rotation speed is 55 knots. Vx is 65 knots. At 55, you will start to climb off the runway, but you still have 10 knots to gain after rotation if it's done at the published speed. (LOTS of people don't lift the nose gear at all, which is sloppy, for a normal non-gusty non-crosswind takeoff.)

Assuming our OP isn't sloppy with his 182, the CHANGE in a gusty crosswind is to go ahead and leave the nose gear on the ground for another 5 knots or so.

He was asking about DIFFERENCES from a normal takeoff.

My point to the original poster was that in the 182, you don't *have* to lift the nose wheel off at 55 in gusty conditions. Let it help with the x-wind a tiny bit longer.

Leave it on the ground until 60, then rotate. It'll probably hop off the runway all three wheels simultaneously at 60 knots anyway. It's ready to go flying.

(My 182 with the STOL kit is ready to go flying and can start "hopping" at about 45 MPH - not knots, MPH -- indicated. You're WAY behind the power curve there... but we can REALLY use the ground-effect tricks. I left our numbers for our aircraft out of this discussion, since he's flying a normal 182.)

Depending on load and headwind, you're not even going to be able to count to one before you accelerate from 55 through 60. This is SUBTLE stuff we're talking about here.

You almost have to watch someone ELSE do it and stare at the airspeed indicator to see it. You feel it under your butt more than you stare at the numbers on the ASI.

Not just because of engine failure, you always want to track out straight. You'll be at some fields where there is a parallel runway which you don't want to be drifting towards and there may be upwind traffic that is attempting to side step around you.

Should I say it? Duh. When did the OP ask about traffic patterns?

Also if you're just doing pattern work, realize that when you turn crosswind your crosswind will become either a headwind or a tailwind, be prepared to turn earlier or later to compensate.

More pattern stuff. Wasn't his question. He specifically asked about crosswind TAKEOFF techniques in a C-182.

I got no impression he didn't know what a crosswind (or any other wind) does to his pattern work. :dunno:

I just keep my feet on the rudder pedals and keep it tracking straight till takeoff. The whiffle tree is pretty flimsy anyway, once you have picked up some speed the rudder is doing most of your steering.

I agree with denverpilot that keeping the nosewheel running on the ground until you're ready to takeoff is good. In a strong x-wind its good to keep the airplane planted until its time to leave the ground, and then to leave the ground quickly! For a normal takeoff however I'll lift the nosewheel off first and let it run on the mains until airborne

All went well Friday. We had 15 g23 direct right crosswind. Take off was a non event. Thanks for the replys.

Yeah I am fine with pattern work. Thanks for staying on point. It is crazy how if you ask a simple direct question all of a sudden your a 20 hr student pilot again. Lol. Anyway thanks

Incorrect.

Just for discussion's sake, if I have a left x-wind and I push on the right rudder pedal while my C-182's nose gear is still on the ground, I'm headed for the right side ditch. Period. There's a whiffle tree and a bungee cord that are going to make sure I do.

I'm not "using it as a crutch", in regards to the nose gear. I'm explaining (because the original poster specifically asked about a Cessna 182) that up until the point enough weight comes off the nose gear and the strut extends all the way downward into the centering cam, right rudder is not correct.

You can't do it because you have nose wheel steering up until that point.

He asked about a 182, so I'm explaining the 182's systems. This falls under: Know your aircraft.

As soon as you get the weight off the nose gear, and once it falls into the centering cam and the nose gear isn't pointing to the right anymore, then you're correct. Then you can apply right rudder.

That happens at rotation speed unless you're doing soft field takeoffs in gusty cross-winds and holding the nose in the air. If he's doing that, good luck.

Unless you're at some crazy DA and weight loading, a C-182 doesn't exactly loiter near the ground after liftoff. That transition from runway to flying happens plenty quick.

Anyway, at rotation and liftoff in the 182, by the time you apply that "immediate" right rudder at liftoff, you're going to be taking it right back out to allow the aircraft to weathervane into the crab, because otherwise you're going to be blown downwind.

Have you flown the 182 much? Grab the POH and play along here...

*Published* rotation speed is 55 knots. Vx is 65 knots. At 55, you will start to climb off the runway, but you still have 10 knots to gain after rotation if it's done at the published speed. (LOTS of people don't lift the nose gear at all, which is sloppy, for a normal non-gusty non-crosswind takeoff.)

Assuming our OP isn't sloppy with his 182, the CHANGE in a gusty crosswind is to go ahead and leave the nose gear on the ground for another 5 knots or so.

He was asking about DIFFERENCES from a normal takeoff.

My point to the original poster was that in the 182, you don't *have* to lift the nose wheel off at 55 in gusty conditions. Let it help with the x-wind a tiny bit longer.

Leave it on the ground until 60, then rotate. It'll probably hop off the runway all three wheels simultaneously at 60 knots anyway. It's ready to go flying.

(My 182 with the STOL kit is ready to go flying and can start "hopping" at about 45 MPH - not knots, MPH -- indicated. You're WAY behind the power curve there... but we can REALLY use the ground-effect tricks. I left our numbers for our aircraft out of this discussion, since he's flying a normal 182.)

Depending on load and headwind, you're not even going to be able to count to one before you accelerate from 55 through 60. This is SUBTLE stuff we're talking about here.

You almost have to watch someone ELSE do it and stare at the airspeed indicator to see it. You feel it under your butt more than you stare at the numbers on the ASI.

Should I say it? Duh. When did the OP ask about traffic patterns?

More pattern stuff. Wasn't his question. He specifically asked about crosswind TAKEOFF techniques in a C-182.

I got no impression he didn't know what a crosswind (or any other wind) does to his pattern work. :dunno:

Back