(cross-post redboard) Bogus ad answerer

Dr. Bill

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Bill Mitchell
Long post, but it's the transcripts of me and this guy e-mailing back and forth about my plane advertised for sale. It reminds me of the Nigerian "you've inherited money/I need someone in USA to launder money" scheme.

I'm trying to sell my Cessna 150 - I advertised in Trade-A-Plane. Here is a responder. Never Again!
rolleyes.gif

He wrote:

I will like to know if the airplane is still for sale. Let me know the
present condition (Send more pics if there is any) The asking
price.Kindly indicate which is your Prefered Method of payment.Bank
Draft,Cashier Cheque Or wire transfer.

I will also be glad if you can fix a date and address that i come view it.

I 'll await your swift response.

Regards

James wheeler.

(I responded with the requested data.)

Thanks for you response. I think need the plane. I will need you contact phone number were you can be reached at all times.

Do send me more pics and specs of the aircraft and Kindly state the bottom price for the airplane I would need us to set up a meeting so that I can take a good look at it before we proceed.Currently am attending a summit in the UK with W.H.O but hopefully I should be done by Monday so anytime from then will be ok with me.

I await your response ASAP.

James

My response (though I'm somewhat suspicious, I'll take any fools money):

Ummm... Do you really feel the need to reach me at "all" times? :)
Tell you what: my phone number was in the last e-mail! Just give me a call and we'll compare schedules. I'll bet we can find a time when you can see the plane, as I am certainly a motivated seller! (n.b.: I gave you the dates I'm available, already. See previous e-mail)

As far as the "bottom price" for the plane goes, well, the price is 18.5K. Now, EVERYTHING is negotiable, so I'd love to have someone bring me an offer; but, the defined price is obviously negotiable so the "bottom price" would be at best an undefined null set.

I do not know what "other specs" you wish to know, so here are some things: One radio, one VOR, MX300 flip/flop nav/com and transponder with mode C. IFR certified. Good tires. Fresh annual. Good compressions. Glass is clear, as it's been hangared most of it's life. It has the O-200 Continental motor that puts out 100 bhp at 2450 rpm. It burns around 6 gph when leaned at altitude. It cruises around 115 mph. It holds 22.5 gal usable fuel, with 26 gal total. It's useful load is 495 lbs. I've cruised at 11,500 many times.

I hope this is helpful!
Bill

To which he replied:

What is the bottom line price for the aircraft?

James

To which I replied:

The amount that you bring to me, that I accept, is the bottom line price. To give us a place to start, I am asking $18,500.00

Keep smiling!
Bill

This is what I got back:

I will settle for the price. I truly appreciate your effort and time
in all. I hope you are not supposed to be collecting any extra fee
from me? I regret to state that I won't be able to come over to view
the aircraft, as we have just concluded our meeting here in the UK and
I have been handed a letter of transfer that commences from tomorrow.

Am sending you a comprehensive mail with the way things are going to
go through because I have just been posted out of the state to Western
Europe for official responsibilities (W.H.O.).

The shipping and moving firm will have to meet with the owner of the
aircraft but I know there won't be any transaction unless you have
given my words and approval.Payment has been drawn out to your name so
as to proceed with this transaction.

A check/ Bank Draft of $45,000 will be sent to you, you will take 20%
of it as deposit for the airplane just to make sure that it is not
sold to any other person, and to pull off the ads on any advert that
it might have posted on.

You will make sure the rest are been remitted to the shipping and
Moving Firm so as to enable them carry out all the inspections and
rightful responsibilities as regards to this transaction, because they
have confirmed to me that unless they receive some part payment ASAP.
They won't be coming over to the state.

As soon as they confirm the status of the transaction successful and
approved by government that is after going through inspections and all
legal proper documentaries the complete funds for the aircraft will be
wired into your nominated account before the release of the title or
the change of ownership documents.

I will need you to provide me with either your company name or name
and address that will be attention to the check/Bank Draft.

Thanks for your understanding and effort.

Please keep me advised as to any additional requirements you have.

Respectfully James.

Now I for sure know things were too good to be true. I sent:

Ah, I see. Very well, then. I will be expecting your bank draft payable to me. The aircraft will be released when all funds have been acquired.

Nice doing business with you.

Bill Mitchell

Then I get:

Bill.
Thanks for your understanding.I will need you to provide me with the
name and address that the check will be made out to .Note that courier
services don't deliver to P.O boxes so you contact physical address is
required.

James.

To which, I sent him the address of my name, my airport, my hangar number. (Don't wanna be giving out too much personal info, you know...)

So, I got a good laugh, and thought it was all over. Then today I get another Trade-a-Plane ad inquiry:

A Trade-A-Plane web user wishes to inquire about your ad.

This message is from: james.wheeler95@gmail.com

I will like to know if the airplane is still for sale. Let me know the present condition (Send more pics if there is any) The asking price.Kindly indicate which is your Prefered Method of payment..Bank Draft,Cashier Cheque Or wire transfer.

I will also be glad if you can fix a date and address that i come view it.

I 'll await your swift response.

Regards

James wheeler.

Sigh.

I sent:

Dude. Didn't we already go through this? The seeming lack of sincerity on your part likely precludes any possibility of you ever owning an aircraft. Call me, we'll talk, and maybe I'll give you a ride!

Bill

Hope you found it entertaining as I did!
deadhorse.gif

Sorry this happened to you; good for you for figuring it out before it got too far.

Had kinna the same thing happen to me when selling a Bonanza. In the end, the fella agree to pay my asking price if I would take in trade a condo in Sacramento, CA.

Best,

Dave

When the DEPOSED PRESIDENT OF NIGERIA writes directly to YOU for help, dammit, YOU HELP!

He didn't get to the part where he was going to send you a casheir's check for too much money?

Sure he did! From the story:

A check/ Bank Draft of $45,000 will be sent to you, you will take 20%
of it as deposit for the airplane just to make sure that it is not
sold to any other person

I wondered why I hadn't seen you around the airport as much lately. You enjoying living out there?

Sorry this happened to you; good for you for figuring it out before it got too far.

Had kinna the same thing happen to me when selling a Bonanza. In the end, the fella agree to pay my asking price if I would take in trade a condo in Sacramento, CA.

Best,

Dave

Someone tried this trick on me when I was helping my husband sell a Corvette engine on eBay. The asking price was $1000, but he wanted to send me $2000. I cancelled the transaction as a fraud, but he sent the "money order" anyway. His accounting practices must have been bad because he sent it to me twice.

Someone tried this trick on me when I was helping my husband sell a Corvette engine on eBay. The asking price was $1000, but he wanted to send me $2000. I cancelled the transaction as a fraud, but he sent the "money order" anyway. His accounting practices must have been bad because he sent it to me twice.

And you DIDN"T REFUND his $3000?!!!!!

Right, ooops, that was the most important part of the story! I was supposed to cash it and send him the difference. I'm sure it was just an honest mistake on his part . . . . :nonod:

I can't remember if it was here or on the red board that someone told the story of having a few yards of dirt to be had if they came and got it after grading their property so they advertised on the Internet.

He got an email for the UK that said they would pay the asking price and shipping if he would take a cashier's check.

That's my favorite.

Joe

I can't remember if it was here or on the red board that someone told the story of having a few yards of dirt to be had if they came and got it after grading their property so they advertised on the Internet.

He got an email for the UK that said they would pay the asking price and shipping if he would take a cashier's check.

That's my favorite.

Joe
Oh I love the MAC story, where the guy sent him a box of broken computer parts and the scammer had to pay duty on it!! Classic!

I wondered why I hadn't seen you around the airport as much lately. You enjoying living out there?

Much as I like Taxicafornia, probably won't see me moving there under any but the most extreme of circumstances. Last time I went to a party there, several folks though I was a narc (short hair I guess or just my military bearing at the time). Just didn't feel like I fit in.
I would miss the conversations about how deadly force should be employed if someone was seen stealing my motorcycle, too <g>

Best,

Dave

Much as I like Taxicafornia, probably won't see me moving there under any but the most extreme of circumstances. Last time I went to a party there, several folks though I was a narc (short hair I guess or just my military bearing at the time). Just didn't feel like I fit in.
I would miss the conversations about how deadly force should be employed if someone was seen stealing my motorcycle, too <g>

Best,

Dave
Dave in 2011, I will have lived in Taxifornia for 30 years at which time the State law says I have to get a nose job, boob job, or sex change. Then I'll fit in, I think.

Joe

2011? Is this because all of the Terminator/Schwarzenegger time traveling?

2011? Is this because all of the Terminator/Schwarzenegger time traveling?
Scary as it is I moved here in 1981.

Here you go Scott. This is the pic I'll take to the doctor. I'm sure I'll look just like that. Who knows, if we get a Democrat in the Governor's mansion Medi-Cal might even pay for it.

attachment.php

Attachments

• tshirt1.jpg
    tshirt1.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 169
Hyper-Tits Markup Language.

UK investigators estimate one fellow has duped about 13,500 people out of $40.5 million dollars on this basic scam! Be careful out there.

Article here.

Scary as it is I moved here in 1981.

Here you go Scott. This is the pic I'll take to the doctor. I'm sure I'll look just like that. Who knows, if we get a Democrat in the Governor's mansion Medi-Cal might even pay for it.

attachment.php

Proverbs 5:19 (King James Version)

let her breasts satisfy thee at all times; and be thou ravished always with her love.

Glory be!!

Proverbs 5:19 (King James Version)

let her breasts satisfy thee at all times; and be thou ravished always with her love.

Glory be!!

Amen.

Even when they show up in person with 100K in cash....

http://cbs13.com/local/craigslist.scam.business.2.1009422.html

Note how they call it "Craigslist scam." When the teefts used newspaper classifieds they didn't call it "New York Times scam."
In Boston, we have the "craigslist killer" who apparently found his victims using the erotic ads posted there. All this noteriety is probably boosting hit counts on craigslist.

In Boston, we have the "craigslist killer" who apparently found his victims using the erotic ads posted there. All this noteriety is probably boosting hit counts on craigslist.

So if he answered ads in the Boston Globe he'd be the ???

Back