Cross midfield to downwind

First of all the OP's question was about entering the pattern at a controlled airport where he had been directed to do so. (FWIW, CTLSi isn't the only one on this thread who seems to have missed that). ...

Before we beat up CTLSi let me point out that the OP could have been more specific in the way he or she worded the question.

[BEGIN RANT]

Flew out of KSQL today, first flight with a new club ...

First off, there are ~14,000 airports in the United States. Not all of us have memorized the ICAO codes for all 14000. Would it kill anyone to type 'Flew out of San Carlos Airport today....' ?

... When I came from the south west, they asked me to cross midfield
(emphasis added)

This is what my 9th grade English teacher called an 'indefinite pronoun'. This mistake always causes confusion. I particularly hate it when the indefinite pronoun is the word 'they'! :mad2:

'They say never go oversquare.' :nonod:
'They say avoid downwind turns.' :yawn:
'They asked me to cross midfield.' :confused:

Who the heck is 'they'?

[/END RANT]

Since the only other party mentioned in the OP is the 'new club' they way I read the post it was the 'new club' that wanted some weird pattern entry.

[ETA: The reference to the 'handout' in one of the early answers added to the possibility that the OP was at a non-towered airport trying to follow a local noise abatement procedure. ]

Had the question read 'the tower told me' then the next post would have said 'do what the tower says, nothing more or less. Don't confuse the procedures for non-towered airports for those with control towers.'

On the bright side, the OP did give me a chance to rant about one of my favorite pet peeves! :yes:

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Ron Levy
He does -- PP-ASEL, earned in a Flight Design CTLSi two months ago. The person who needs his head examined is the DPE who signed that ticket.

-------------------------------

The DPE that signed me off has a 50 year pin. He said he had done over 2000 checkrides. He is the senior guy in the state, does ATP, commercial, instrument and private exams.

BTW. I am an aircraft owner. My aircraft has full Dynon and Garmin glass in it. The DPE was pretty impressed with the panel. I had to show him how some of it worked it's so current.

Ron Levy is a obvious board troll. How close are you to losing your 3rd class med Levy? Flying as a sport pilot soon?

Originally Posted by Ron Levy
He does -- PP-ASEL, earned in a Flight Design CTLSi two months ago. The person who needs his head examined is the DPE who signed that ticket.

-------------------------------

The DPE that signed me off has a 50 year pin. He said he had done over 2000 checkrides. He is the senior guy in the state, does ATP, commercial, instrument and private exams.

BTW. I am an aircraft owner. My aircraft has full Dynon and Garmin glass in it. The DPE was pretty impressed with the panel. I had to show him how some of it worked it's so current.

Ron Levy is a obvious board troll. How close are you to losing your 3rd class med Levy? Flying as a sport pilot soon?

You need to just stop talking, period.

In a CT you can do a descending 270 in a heartbeat, I do love that.

Not to be a nudge, but a 270 deg turn would put you on downwind from the crosswind over the runway. Given that you are using a perpendicular "crosswind". You would be doing a 225 deg descending turn to the 45 deg entry. Or, you would be doing a 180 deg descending turn, and then a subsequent 45 deg turn again to enter the 45. But not a 270. Again, not being a nudge about it. :thumbsup:

Do what tower instructs you to do.

I do mid-field crossovers all the time to get a good bird's eye view of the field, and the sock.

AWOS lies. Often.

Not to be a nudge, but a 270 deg turn would put you on downwind from the crosswind over the runway. Given that you are using a perpendicular "crosswind". You would be doing a 225 deg descending turn to the 45 deg entry. Or, you would be doing a 180 deg descending turn, and then a subsequent 45 deg turn again to enter the 45. But not a 270. Again, not being a nudge about it. :thumbsup:

Correct. But you end up going through 270 to get on the downwind. You don't do it all at once, my brain just abbreviated the process. ;)

Back