Cross Linking and 3rd Class Medical

R

Ryanlivingston

I was diagnosed with minor Keratoconus i my right eye a year ago and had corneal cross-linking done in March. It was successful, and I am now fitted with soft contacts. I can see 20/40 or better in both eyes and am wondering whether the AME will accept the cross-linking procedure.

Will I be able to pass my 3rd class medical with this procedure done? I am not sure whether it is approved by the FAA to fix Keratoconus.

Thanks, Ryan

I was diagnosed with minor Keratoconus i my right eye a year ago and had corneal cross-linking done in March. It was successful, and I am now fitted with soft contacts. I can see 20/40 or better in both eyes and am wondering whether the AME will accept the cross-linking procedure.

Will I be able to pass my 3rd class medical with this procedure done? I am not sure whether it is approved by the FAA to fix Keratoconus.

Thanks, Ryan
Call a local AME and ask for a consult, not a thurd class exam.
Or, if you're a member of AOPA, call them.
Or, contact aeromedicaldoc.com

What is cross-linking?

sorry I can't provide any info on your request, but I do want to share that you're the second person I've heard with keratoconus. My mom had severe keratoconus (strike 2, auto correct ... no idea if it will leave that spelling alone) ... anyway, diagnosed back in the 60s. They used hard contacts to help hold the cornea shape and gave her many years of good to declining adequate eyesight. Eventually they lost the battle and she was legally blind for a number of years. Eventually she had corneal transplants and enjoys 20/20 vision again. Not relevant to flying and your medical questions, but just wanted to share. Not something we generally hear anything about.

What is cross-linking?

Some sort of newfangled way to strengthen the collagen of the cornea to prevent further progression of the keratoconus. Like that glue that you cure by shining UV light on it or some such. An alternative to corneal transplant. That's all I know.

Cross-linking in the chemical world I know is the use of particular metal ions to "glue" starch molecules together.
In shorthand of my own making: water + starch + metal ion = modified water. When done right you can stack the modified water in the corner.

Such a material could reinforce the eye while remaining clear.

Thanks, Ryan

I'd be shocked if it doesn't pass.

I should add, this is my opinion. But I've had keratoconus in both eyes for decades.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was diagnosed with keratoconis about five years ago. I discussed this with my ophthalmologist, my AME, consulted with the aeromedical units of the FAA, AOPA, AMAS and our airline union's aeromedical group. My experiance was very good.

First point is that I take a First Class every six months. This may be why I was not advised that I would require a SI as Dr. Chien indicated. I researched various treatment options and found Dr. Brian Boxer Wachler. He has developed a cross-linking treatment which does not involve ablatiting part of the cornea, and was getting very good results. I contacted him and we discussed the treatment over the phone. He sent me more information which we reviewed. The FAA Aeromedical Office's position was that I could hold a First Class until I could no longer pass the vision requirements. Should I undergo this treatment, I would be grounded until I passed two vision tests, conducted by my ophthalmologist, showing stable 20/20 in each eye. These two tests needed to be conducted 7 days apart. I was advised that upon completion of that requirement, I could return to flight status and simply needed to submit a fully completed 8500-7 at my next physical.

I had the treatment over four years ago. I had Intacts inplanted in each eye to help correct the keratoconus induced astigmatism, and the crosslink treatment to halt the progression. I remained grounded for one month, passed three eye exams, each 7 days apart, corrected to 20/17 with glasses. I had my ophthalmologist complete the 8500-7 and forwarded a copy to my AME and the FAA Aeromedical Office, then returned to work. At my next physicial, I had all of my records from the treatment and follow up, and listed the treatment on the form 8500-8 along with the 8500-7. My AME completed the exam, issued my new First Class and kept the file until my next exam 6 months later, when he returned it to me. I have listed the treatment on each subsequent application. The FAA Aeromedical office never contacted me or my AME for any additional information. My vision has been very stable, no issues and I'm very staisfied with the outcome. The only side effect which I noticed was an occational feeling like I had something in my eye, which lasted a couple of months then disappeared.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back