Cross Fingers for Matt!

tonycondon

Gastons CRO (Chief Dinner Reservation Officer)
Display Name

Display name:
Tony
Well the forecast for tommorrow is looking iffy, but Matt Michael will at least be doing his Private Pilot Oral Exam in the morning. Hopefully it will be flyable and he will get the flying portion out of the way too. Im meeting him at the airport at oh dark thirty to send him on his way.

and the forecast is ugly, so Matt is driving over to knock the oral out

Ya I know. He wasnt so sure, has spent the last several days studying pretty hard for the oral. I told him just to skew every question into a glider answer and then talk and talk until the examiner just begs him to stop :)

That oral book that he was looking through actually has some pretty tough questions in it. The thing is you just talk them through you aren't expected to instantly spew out the exact answer that the book has. I think this is what gets people worked up.

I knew he would pass. When is the flight portion?

Cross fingers for Tony more like! If I bomb the checkride he will look dumber than me!

Seriously, thanks for the support especially the good luck "crosses" from the gals. I'm not superstitious in the least but the thought is a lot more helpful than the classic "you'll do fine".

There was no hope in trying to chat up the examiner on gliding or anything for that matter. He was only interested in the answer and cut to the next question when he got what he wanted. Afterward he actually apologized for being so short with me saying that he has to be really disciplined to stay on schedule.

I've always been more wound-up about the Q&A portion of checkrides than the flying. Dispite my studying there were a couple areas where I almost bombed the session. Rod Machados airspace/vis triangle visual aid really saved my butt. I could more or less decode METAR/TAF but totally forgot the differences between the two in terms of what, when, how often, etc. Never used that stuff in real life and it's been 13 years since I had to know it for my last checkride! He probably let me pass because my written results suggest that I'm not always stupid.

Anyway, will be glad to get the flight done tues.

MM

We'll be glued to this board on Tuesday to see if we should congratulate Matt or heckle Tony ;)

Fly safe! (and have fun, but you know that)

David

MauleSkinner said:
We'll be glued to this board on Tuesday to see if we should congratulate Matt or heckle Tony ;)

Fly safe! (and have fun, but you know that)

David

Regardless of what happens I say we congratulate me AND heckle Tony.

wby0nder said:
Regardless of what happens I say we congratulate me AND heckle Tony.

To add a little 'pressure' to the situation -- you HAVE to pass next week. Tony is tired of flying with me ;) so I need a safety pilot to keep this crazy IR stuff going! :D

-Chris

CJones said:
To add a little 'pressure' to the situation -- you HAVE to pass next week. Tony is tired of flying with me ;) so I need a safety pilot to keep this crazy IR stuff going! :D

-Chris

I'm your man! I love instrument flying and my 400hours instruction given (in gliders) might make me a little more useful than your average new private pilot.

Tony is a long way from being tired of flying with you especially in that RV!

MM

And Matt goes for his flying portion tommorow at 10 AM, weather is supposed to be severe clear, has been great flying the last couple days. Will post on outcome.

And he Passed! Congratulations Matt!!! I will let him post the gory details of the Oral and Practical Tests, cant wait.

Thanks folks! I'll spare the gory details but will say that you can in fact make plenty of mistakes and still pass a checkride. It's amazing how being under the microscope really brings out the flaws. I'd like to practice for a few weeks and return to demonstrate that I'm actually not a complete idiot. I am greatful for the kindness and generosity of my examiner and ever so glad to have it over with... till the commercial ride anyway at which time I will be sure to have my skills brushed to perfect private pilot standards.

MM

Back