cross country with a 396

Kelly

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
PA24
I know it's already been superceded by the 496, but yesterday was another flight that made me so glad I got a Garmin 396 with xm weather last year. I flew from northen Michigan to southeastern Pa while most of Pennsylvania and 1/4 of Ohio were covered with storms.

In just under 4 hours I skirted around a substantial weather system, crossed two fronts and got home by ducking into West Virginia, going up north of Camp David, then shooting a GPS approach.

Monitoring 122.0 I heard many people asking flight service for advice and then landing short, making huge deviation decisions and in two cases making pireps in heavy rain and turbulance... Contrast that to a smooth flight never close to any significant weather and always having options. Without in flight weather, it is a trip I would have cancelled based on the outlooks. But having updated radar pictures and forecasts (yes, it's not "real time", but delayed) as you are enroute is priceless for making safe routing decisions. Now if I could just get my daughter to let me choose the music channel.....

Attachments

• mi pa weather.jpg
    mi pa weather.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Kelly said:
Now if I could just get my daughter to let me choose the music channel.....
Ha! As if! Sounds like you were able to make use of it for strategic decisions. Just what it was designed for.

I only have a lowly 96C. I really like it, but it's got no wx.

Well Kelly i only have a 196 so i opted for a stormscope,i figure that will help. Got to love on board Wx. btw i bought The WX10A used at OSH now have to get it installed.
Dave G

Back