Cross country trip planning - where to stop, what to see?

Tmcdavitt

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Tmcdavitt
Fellow forum members -

I am planning a trip this summer with the family (the wife and 3 kids- 6, 4, 1) in the trusty Cherokee 6 from the Houston area to Muskegon, MI. I plan on doing the trip VFR daytime only. My intial plan calls for a stop in Hot Springs, AR (KHOT) and another stop somewhere to the east of St. Louis (SLO?) before heading into Muskegon (KMKG).

Are there any good airports with fuel and food that we should stop at? I'm trying to keep the legs about 250- 350 miles apart for bladder and leg purposes...

Is there anything that we should avoid or be aware of? I plan on going far east of the Chicago airspace and following the eastern coast of Lake Michigan as opposed to flying over the open water.

Thanks.

Instead of Hot Springs, consider Petit Jean State Park, KMPJ, Morrilton, Arkansas -- http://www.petitjeanstatepark.com/

Very pretty state park in the middle of Arkansas. Runway near to the park, cabins available, lots of kid friendly activities. Might be a good place for your first overnight stop.

The only problem with Petit Jean would be getting around after you landed. The airport is a long way from the main lodge, etc. If you want to stop there, be sure to call ahead and arrange transportation.

I posted a link that is now gone. Sorry I couldn't help.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Thanks for the pointers. I actually used a feature in airnav that I didn't realize existed (trip planner).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

If you don't mind grass, get a cabin at Gaston's. Nice restaurant on the field also. Trout fishing on site also. I think they even sell 100LL.

The Airnav feature I use most is fuel near an airport. Rough plan the leg at bladder range then plug something near there into Airnav and pick the cheapest fuel near my route. Has worked for me coast to coast and Osh a couple times. Found some cool little airports, people and towns.

Back