Cross-country training

RotaryWingBob

En-Route
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iHover
For 61.109 (c) (1), what is the definition of cross-country flight training?

The reason for my asking is that I just realized that I'm 0.3 hours short. Can we fly a leg for 0.3 hours and log it as cross-country training, or must it be an actual cross-country flight (>25 nm for helicopter)?

RotaryWingBob said:
For 61.109 (c) (1), what is the definition of cross-country flight training?

The reason for my asking is that I just realized that I'm 0.3 hours short. Can we fly a leg for 0.3 hours and log it as cross-country training, or must it be an actual cross-country flight (>25 nm for helicopter)?

I'm too lazy to look at the helicopter distance, but I believe for you folks it is >25 nm versus the fixed wing >50 nm. Regardless, yes, you need to go and land beyond the distance (assumes not for ATP).

Later edit:

Okay, I looked. It is landing >25 nm. See 61.1(b)(3)(v). BTW, 61.109(c)(1), just in case you hoped otherwise, is dual.

Last edited:
Ed Guthrie said:
I'm too lazy to look at the helicopter distance, but I believe for you folks it is >25 nm versus the fixed wing >50 nm. Regardless, yes, you need to go and land beyond the distance (assumes not for ATP).
That's what I guessed, Ed, and it is 25 nm. I guess a quick dual flight to Smoketown is in order (29 nm). Oddly enough I've got plenty of solo x-c, just not quite enough x-c training.

Back