Cross Country RV Road Trip. Any Suggestions

Worldwide trade

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
WorldWiseTrade
So from Portland to Denver there seems to be plenty of great places to visit. From Denver to the east coast I am looking for suggestions or maybe going to hire a driver to get the RV up to New England vs. miles and miles of miles and miles.

We drive an RV between our homes in Delaware and Arizona (round trip) once or twice a year, in addition to shorter trips out West. You have to be either like a truck driver (look at it as a job), or really enjoy a road trip (which I do). Otherwise, pay someone to do it.

Fly, stop at as many places as you like.

I do not enjoy driving. In my early twenties I hauled exotic cars up and down the east coast and the Midwest. Now, I don’t even like driving back to Wilmington DE, and that’s to visit family. Good luck on your travels east!

I hatred toll roads worse than I loathe paid parking. I wouldn't say that strictly keeps me from the east coast but it's just another reason.

I like a long road trip IF there's no schedule. As soon as you have to be somewhere by a certain date, it's not fun any more.

My wife bought a RV sight unseen on ebay, we flew to San Francisco to pick it up, and drove it back to Connecticut over two weeks. No reservations, we just headed in the general direction, wandered to see any sights we wanted to see, and stopped when we got tired. Best vacation we ever had. No good route suggestions for you as it was March so we took the southern route due to snow in the mountains. We avoided the interstates whenever we could.

Hutchinson, KS and the Cosmosphere.
Oshkosh, WI
Dayton, OH
Niagara Falls, NY I actually prefer the Canadian side then up to Toronto, but with covid and CPB, too much of a hassle.

can't help with that particular route
but I can agree with others about it depending on how much time you have. If you have enough time, do the trip if it's at all appealing to you.

a few years ago My family of 5 took our 31 ft class C RV from NE Florida to the Grand Canyon and back over a 19 day trip. That was really too far for only just 19 days, but still we would all do something similar again in a second.....it was a really good trip! I only had "about 3 weeks" off of work and we made it work. I figured that we would all be on our last nerve living 5 people in such a small space....my Wife was still very happy but I think she was very close to needing a break. I could have kept going a long time (and I was doing 100% of the driving!). Kids were good too. It was a really great trip.....tons of memories made! Amazing!

My plan was to pick a semi-major destination that we were interested in about half way going in each direction...then drive drive drive to that "midpoint" then take a short break...the drive drive drive to the canyon for a few days, then repeat. What happened was something different.

We used a web site called roadtrippers (as well as other things) to find points of interest along the way..and we pretty much winged it for the most part. Pretty much every day we stopped somewhere significant, either mid day or at the end of the day...a museum, parks, etc...

The first day was for me...aviation related... The Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola.

We stayed a lot of nights in parking lots....truck stops, cracker barrel, etc.... and I discovered that after about 3 nights like that I had to find a campground or RV park where I could plug the RV in and unplug my mind for a better sleep. When we found something we liked, we stayed longer...for example, Albuquerque was 1 nighter than turned into I think 3....partly because by the time we got there I was exhausted but partly because there was so much to do there. Another example was Page AZ and just stumbled on a campground on Lake Powell...intended one night and ended up staying I think it was 3 nights.

I don't think I could even list all the things we did on the trip

It's out of your way to do the whole thing, but there's still lots to see and on the old Route 66 (Santa Monica, CA, to Chicago, IL), where you can still get your kicks. Amazon has a plethora of books on that highway, some focus on the highway in only one of the 8 states it passes through.

ah yes, one of the many points of interest we saw along our trip... a bit of rte 66. Stumbled on a decent car museum along it someplace in NM. Also saw the girl in a flat bed ford taking a look at a guy on the corner.

Back