Cross-Country Planning - DFW Class B Tranisition

DrewG

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
DrewG
I'm planning a flight in a couple of weeks from OK to the Austin, TX area (KEDC, specifically). The direct route would require a transition through the DFW Class B area, but I've been thinking about planning a route that barely skirts the Class B to the west and only adds about 5 minutes to the plan.

The only reasons I could think of to to so would be (1) I haven't ever flown in/through Class B and (2) I have the impression that I'd probably be vectored a bit while flying through the Bravo and thus, the trip would end up taking longer than it would by skirting the Bravo in the first place.

What say you all? Am I better off transitioning or going around?

Transitioning much easier.

A quick look on Skyvector.com for a flight between KOKC and KEDC shows you skirting the west side of the DFW Bravo and the 6000 foot segment. So it will be an easy thing. Just be on Flight Following, be ready to be switched to Regional Approach (118.10) a bit south of Gainesville (KGLE).

Even if they ask you to remain clear of the Bravo, the course shown via my link isn't that much of a "detour" to comply.

We would be departing from KSWO (Stillwater, OK), so the direct routing takes us more into the "meat" of the Bravo. I was planning on cruising at 8500 if I jog around it (or if I'm on 179 direct course, most likely 7500 or 9500). If I am to transition Bravo, is it wiser to swing out to the edge along that 6000 foot segment in case I was told to remain clear?

Last edited:
And buzzing about DFW's Bravo isn't as scary as it's made out to be.

The controllers are really good and willing to accommodate your requests for entry into the Bravo as their workload, your direction of flight, and what's going on at the big airport.

I routinely fly out of KDTO headed south with flight following and get "55WB Radar Contact 1.5 miles south of Denton. Fly heading 190, climb and maintain 3500, cleared into class bravo airspace. We'll get you to your desired altitude abeam Arlington."

The few times I don't get that, the controller was operating at manic auctioneer speeds and gusting to 120 words a minute. I was in no hurry and satisfied to do my part to not add to his workload.

In a nutshell, don't be skeered of operating in the bravo. Just be on your game with the aviating, navigating, and communicating, and you'll do just fine.

We would be departing from KSWO (Stillwater, OK), so the direct routing takes us more into the "meat" of the Bravo. I was planning on cruising at 8500 if I jog around it (or if I'm on 179 direct course, most likely 7500 or 9500). If I am to transition Bravo, is it wiser to swing out to the edge along that 6000 foot segment in case I was told to remain clear?

Being based at Denton, I haven't passed through at that altitude yet. So I'm not sure what instructions you'll get.

IF you do KSWO => KLUD => KWEA => KEDC, it's hardly a detour and keeps you out of the Bravo.

BTW; if you get around Denton and need assistance, let me know.

I'd plan direct. At 8500 you should be well above most of the action and you'll most likely get cleared into B and not have much conflict. I agree with Mike, transitioning the Dallas bravo is not bad, especially up high like that.

Last edited:
How comfortable are you on the radio?
If you frequently fly in and out of towered fields, it shouldn't be a biggie.

After you do it once, you will want to go over every time you are in town.
Fun to fly with the big guys.

Fly through it if you want the experience of flying through Bravo, but don't avoid it for the reason that you have never flown through Bravo before. Personally, I would skirt the edge of it, just because there isn't an overriding reason to transition the space. Like you said, it's a minor detour, and doing so just keeps things simpler in the end.

How comfortable are you on the radio?
If you frequently fly in and out of towered fields, it shouldn't be a biggie.

After you do it once, you will want to go over every time you are in town.
Fun to fly with the big guys.

I'm pretty comfortable on the radio. My local flying keeps me in contact with Class C approach control and I always obtain flight following on cross-countries, as well.

I'm pretty comfortable on the radio. My local flying keeps me in contact with Class C approach control and I always obtain flight following on cross-countries, as well.

Eh, it'll be a non-issue then. I was pretty apprehensive about it at first, but once I had done it, I couldnt wait to do it again!

Yup, you're golden. It will be no different than what you described. Its just plain old flight following.

It's scarier not being on the radio - well, it isn't maybe, but it should be. We fly as much as six times a week in the airspace doing aerial photography and there are a lot of times there are guys bouncing around not talking and there are a LOT of planes around them. I believe in see and avoid and keeping my eyes open, but there are plenty of times when that extra warning or callout is helpful when you are watching two other planes.

You could always just climb to 11,500 and just go over the top.

Back