Cross country in a Tiger, PNE-CRW-PNE (long)

poadeleted3

Pattern Altitude
Just got back today from a most enjoyable trip to Charleston, WV, our longest cross country to date. 3 hours there, 3.4 back. As I posted elsewhere, I seem to have decided to see how little fuel I could burn this trip, instead of seeing how fast a Tiger can cruise. Sigh. If only that were the only mistake I made this trip.

I'll get the mistakes out of the way first, then move on to more fun stuff. I haven't made any real doozies since getting my license, and seem to have decided to make a couple to keep myself humble this trip. The worst was on departure Saturday morning. Somehow, I'd hit the passenger's squelch button on the Garmin 430 just as we were pulling onto the runway for departure. Instead of trying to figure out what was wrong, I decided to fix the problem in the air. I didn't want to hold up people behind me. That turned out to be an issue, because what I thought was a simple squelch problem instead turned into a major distraction. You see, I didn't know that there WAS a passenger side squelch on the Garmin 430. After lifting off, I turned my squelch down, with no effect of course. I could barely hear the tower. I'd planned to ask for clearance into the Class B to climb out, but without being able to really hear communications I decided that was a bad idea. Instead, I changed my mind and decided to duck under the Class B. Problem was, I couldn't remember whether I was under the 1500 ft level or the 3,000 ft shelf, and our charts were on the back seat. I've always preferred to keep them there during departure instead of out where I thought they could be a distraction. It was windy, bumpy, and I was very busy flying the plane and trying to avoid Willow Grove's Class D airspace. I cruised across Wings Field just a couple hundred feet above the traffic pattern, then finally got to a point where I knew I could start climbing out of the low level turbulence, fix the darn squelch, get the charts, and get my act together. Not at all a good way to start a flight. It was a poorly planned, poorly executed, and poorly flown departure. :( There were lessons learned, but these sort of things aren't supposed to happen. Then, upon return to PNE today, I told a very busy controller I was east of the airport instead of west. I corrected myself, but then wasn't sure if he was talking to me in 950TE or another Tiger flying in the area. When I questioned which plane he was talking to, the rushed controller was NOT happy with me. ARRRRRGGGGHHH!!! At least the problems on return will be solved with a bit of practice at a controlled field, and I'll always double check to make sure I'm not responding to someone else's instructions.

Oh well, there was a lot more flying than just that to be had this weekend, and the rest of it was just fantastic. We got the first sign that our weekend was going to be good when we got to the airport, and the airplane we had scheduled, and that I'd flown just the day before, was getting it's alternator replaced. Now normally this wouldn't be a good thing, but after we waited around a bit waiting for our plane to get fixed, they asked us if we wanted a nice shiny new one with Tiger's beautiful stars and stripes paint job. Wow... went from a nice plane, to a really nice plane. Good way to start the weekend :)

It was a little windy on departure, and pretty bumpy down low, but we climbed out of it quickly into one of the most beautiful flying weekends I've seen in a loooong time. I can tell by the posts that a number of us have been enjoying this phenomenal weather. Visibility unlimited, sky clear and a gorgeous blue, a forecast for it to remain that way all weekend, and a westbound tail wind all the way from Philly to Charleston, WV. Nirvana, man! We threaded our way between the ADIZ and Camp David to Martinsburg, saluted the factory where our plane was born, and headed over the West Virginia mountains for Charleston. As we started over the mountains we ran into the only bad weather of the trip when a cloud appeared, but we were able to work our way around it and complete the trip. Cathy was snapping pics and drooling over the plane, Sean was in the back asking "how many more hours," as he was anxious to get to CRW and play with his cousin, and I was having a ball getting the feel for the Tiger and trying to get used to the sight picture and quit climbing. All in all, a good time, and very satisfying to be making a trip in a plane with my very own pilot's license that we would not have had time to make by car. As we approached Charleston, I could see the airport from 25 miles out, and was cleared to land straight in on 23 from 20 miles away. Wheee!!! I made a pretty decent landing to complete our trip, then ran to the bathroom. LOL

Sunday, I got to do something most special when my Mom accepted my invitation to go flying with me as a present for her birthday, which is tomorrow. She walked around the plane with me, admired it appropriately, took some fun pictures, and we buckled in. She made my day when she told me after engine start that she never thought she would get to go flying with her son for her 56th birthday. She wanted to see the Garmins in action, so I set Beckley (BKW) on the GPS, but on departure I used the advanced navigational technique of following the river upstream to the New River Gorge Bridge, her requested destination. Sunday afternoon was just as pretty as Saturday was, but we weren't able to go flying until after 3 pm, so the thermals were out in full force. After circling the bridge and heading back to Charleston, I decided to stay high as long as I could before descending for both our comfort. I explained to Mom what slip was, she said it sounded fun, and I told her if she didn't like speak up and we'd stop and circle down. Circling down would have defeated the purpose of staying high, but I figured it was worth a try. Again, I was cleared for a straight in (this time to 33) and cleared to land from 20 miles out. As we approached the airport the tower controller asked me if I was going to be able to get down from where I was, and I assured him I could. We slipped from 5500 ft right down to the runway almost, flaring right over the number pretty as you please. I was all puffed up and happy, and Mom giggled over the controller's lack of faith. Best of all, Mom had a big grin, that she didn't get rid of for quite a while. In the picture I took of us together, she was busy trying not to giggle at me running for her after setting the camera's timer LOL.

Our flight back today was every bit as pleasurable, except for the fact that we had a headwind for a good bit of it. Instead of going direct, I chose to come back via Morgantown, because I didn't like the lack of landing areas away from the interstates on our trip down Saturday. Different scenery, just as pretty a day. It was a longer flight, though, and we were able to prove to ourselves that a three and a half hour leg is both comfortably doable, and as long as we want to be in the plane without stretching our legs. For the first time ever, I decided to make use of the autopilot because my hand got tired. That was nice in a way, and I can see the use on a long trip or when I'm busy, but I think it's boring. I'll not use it much. Had another first when I got back to Philly, when I descended through the Class B. I've never been in Class B before. I think I have a few new hairs on my chest now. :)

As for our happiness with the Tiger vs Skyhawk on long cross countries, we both like the Tiger better. Cathy would like to see the speed I promised, and is giving me dirty looks for cruising at about 55% power this weekend, but aside from that we thought the Tiger was superior in every way. We both thing the Tiger is more comfortable, easier to get into, easier to get Sean in the back, we can see out of it better, and I think it is way more fun to fly. It can work out of most GA airports just fine, with the exception of some truly short, obstructed, or unusual ones. And nobody EVER comes over to check out the Skyhawks on the ramp, not even the new ones :)

Beautiful, just beautiful. Now you know to push the throttle in a little more. We've all made those mistakes and worse. You're filling up your bucket of expereince faster than draining your bucket of luck. Glad you and Cathy liked the Tiger. Great pics too!

Joe, 135 kts at 9.5 gph is 14 mpg. A skyhawk is buring 8 gph and going 110 kts. 13 mpg. The Tiger goes 23% faster in the same hour. Is the rental rate 23% higher? Probably not....

bbchien said:
Joe, 135 kts at 9.5 gph is 14 mpg. A skyhawk is buring 8 gph and going 110 kts. 13 mpg. The Tiger goes 23% faster in the same hour. Is the rental rate 23% higher? Probably not....

Plus you're flying a LOW WING airplane so you look much cooler!!!

great story Joe....I enjoyed reading it. That's awesome that your mom had a good time...do you think she'll go out with you more often now?

Nice write-up, Joe. A few thoughts:

My mom enjoys flying with me, too. I think it is fun to get a chance to give a new experience to the person who opened up so many new experiences for you when you were a child.

Re: having to pee. I always pee before I fly, and I make everyone who will be flying with me pee, too (in a bathroom). Funny, though, that one of my best landings was when I REALLY had to pee. I was with my mother then, too, and I told her, "The milisecond I get this plane to the ramp, I'm shutting down and running to the bathroom. Don't touch anything. I'll be back to finish the postflight." I got a straight-in, and maintained 115 KIAS on final (in a C172). Landing was the last thing on my mind, so, of course, I made one of the best ones of my life.

Regarding the comparison of Skyhawk and Tiger. I know how you feel. Try the Zlin sometime (but it is a two-seater). It isn't a fair comparison, though, between the Skyhawk and Tiger because the Tiger is not really meant for training. Compare the Tiger to a C172S or PA28-180, though, and . . . the Tiger still wins!

Yeah! for Joe. Doncha' just love it when a plans come un-together?

My CFI said, just before I departed on my longest x/c up til then (450nm one way), "You're stupid if you don't learn alot of things on this trip." Or something like that. Anyway, I learned A LOT that trip! Looking back, I can honestly say those lessons learned came from one screw up after another. If nothing else you burned into your brain what not to do and why not to do it.

That was a good write-up.

gibbons said:
Plus you're flying a LOW WING airplane so you look much cooler!!!

Oh, absolutely :) That Tiger is very smart looking.

Great write up, Joe, and great photos. Thanks.

Your mom looks very happy. I am glad you were able to take her flying and that she enjoyed it so much. I'm looking forward to more of your flying adventures.

Joe, thanks again for your good stories, glad you had a great weekend. Now I REALLY want to try a Tiger. Maybe there are some for rent in the Atlanta area???

NickDBrennan said:
great story Joe....I enjoyed reading it. That's awesome that your mom had a good time...do you think she'll go out with you more often now?

Sadly, I don't know if I'll get another chance or not. That's why I siezed this one, even though we really couldn't afford it. She lives in South Carolina, and we are in Philly. She had come to Charleston to throw an 80th birthday party for her father, and it was important to her that we be there also. That's what made the freedom of general aviation so wonderful on this trip. My wife couldn't get the vacation time I did, so we probably would not have made the trip via car.

Joe:

Glad you enjoyed it! You most certainly picked the nicest three day strech of weather we've had for a while. Your trip is what having the licence is all about.

BTW - Can I ask what a rental Tiger goes for, $ per hour?

Gary

Gary said:
Joe:

Glad you enjoyed it! You most certainly picked the nicest three day strech of weather we've had for a while. Your trip is what having the licence is all about.

Gary

The weather certainly couldn't have been better! Yeah, this trip the license actually proved it can be useful :)

After the fuel surcharge, we paid $98 hr for the Tiger, which doesn't seem bad at all.

Joe,

Sounds like you had a great trip. Glad the weather co operated with you. Great pictures. :<)

Len

Gary said:
Joe:

Gary

Gonna rent one Gary? Don't forget the Super Glue :)

Sounds like you had a great trip Joe. Nice report and pics.

Thanks Joe. I was anxious to read about your impressions of the Tiger. As usual, you gave us an interesting and informative read. Just curious .. did you try flying with the canopy open? If so, any impressions about that?

Thanks for sharing ... :cheerio:

dcroce said:
Thanks Joe. I was anxious to read about your impressions of the Tiger. As usual, you gave us an interesting and informative read. Just curious .. did you try flying with the canopy open? If so, any impressions about that?

Thanks for sharing ... :cheerio:

We didn't try flying with the canopy open, though I thought about it. To be honest, even on the ground there is a lot of wind in the cabin from the prop wash, I'll bet it's really wild in the air. We'll have to try it when it's a little warmer, though, just to see what it's like :)

Anthony said:

Anthony

Love to try one! They are sharp planes. For the moment I'll have to stick with the Cherokee. However, if it works out, I'll have a spare tube of super glue in the flight bag.

I'll assume you are all dug out from the snow and your Tiger is done and ready to fly.

Gary

dcroce said:
did you try flying with the canopy open? If so, any impressions about that?

Windy (secure all charts and other paper), loud (headset required, duck out of wind when speaking into mic), runway length requirement is increased (don't know if that is in the POH but I learned it from observation), climb performance decreased (again, don't know if that is mentioned in the POH) and fun!

Len

Gary said:
Anthony said:

Anthony

Love to try one! They are sharp planes. For the moment I'll have to stick with the Cherokee. However, if it works out, I'll have a spare tube of super glue in the flight bag.

I'll assume you are all dug out from the snow and your Tiger is done and ready to fly.

Gary

You can always fly mine! Just come out to CO!

The snow practically dug itself out. I shoveled in a shirt, no hat, no gloves and it melted. Was 53 yesterday and 63 today and higher later this week. Typical CO weather. If you don't like it wait a half hour and it'll change. Nothing like the east. Very pleasant and mild most of the time, but then you get a blizzard in April, but it passes quickly.

No Tiger yet. I should have it "this week". But, they said that "last week", whe that was "this week". :)

Bill Jennings said:
Joe, thanks again for your good stories, glad you had a great weekend. Now I REALLY want to try a Tiger. Maybe there are some for rent in the Atlanta area???

Bill,

The flight school I teach at rents a nice 1978 Tiger. You can check it out at www.superiorflight.com.

Dave

Joe,

Great write-up. Sounds like you and your family had a great time. Don't be so hard on yourself about your mistakes. Learn from them and move on.

Glad you liked the Tiger, they are great cross country airplanes.

Dave

Joe: I flew 950TE this sunday but you know that. Tigers are fun smooth planes arn't they? sounds like you had a good trip.

Gary; Tigers where Joe and I rent go for $83 per hour wet plus a $12.00 per hr fuel surcharge due to the current high cost of fuel. A few FBO's around here have added fuel surcharges with the hope they can lower them rather than raise rental rates.

Adam Zucker

AdamZ said:
Joe: I flew 950TE this sunday but you know that. Tigers are fun smooth planes arn't they? sounds like you had a good trip.

Gary; Tigers where Joe and I rent go for $83 per hour wet plus a $12.00 per hr fuel surcharge due to the current high cost of fuel. A few FBO's around here have added fuel surcharges with the hope they can lower them rather than raise rental rates.

Adam Zucker

???? I had 950TE this Sunday :) We had a fantastic trip. Cathy has decreed that when we win the lottery tomorrow night, we are buying a Tiger. The Skyhawk has been replaced in our hearts, despite being such a useful plane.

I was charged $15 hr fuel surcharge this weekend :(

It's actually a nice thing for me to hear that other places are charging the fuel surcharge. The FBO that I rent planes from charges something like $8 per hour as a fuel surcharge. It never made much sense to me, but if it's becoming a standard thing, I'll hold my tongue.

The Tiger looks and sounds like a lot of fun. Maybe someday I'll have to go somewhere to check one out.

Oops Joe: I meant 957TE I'll check the bill for the surcharge. The sheet attached to the clipboard said $12.00 Anyway glad you had a good flight. We are fortunate to have a place to rent Tigers in the area.

AdamZ said:
Oops Joe: I meant 957TE I'll check the bill for the surcharge. The sheet attached to the clipboard said $12.00 Anyway glad you had a good flight. We are fortunate to have a place to rent Tigers in the area.

957TE is the other Tiger that I thought the control tower was trying to call yesterday. Combine that with 937TE I saw sitting on the ramp, and you've got opportunity for all kinds of fun when the radio is all busy!!!

Back