Cross Country Flight

I've flown from the Seattle area to Virginia and back in a 180 Hp Maule and it is slower than the Cherokee. I planned 4 days and it took me 8. Imbedded thunderstorms across the Midwest pushed me WAY off of my planned track from Sante Fe, NM to Norman Oklahoma. I wound up in North Platte, Nebraska where I stayed on the ground for a few days waiting out weather. Spring is the height of tornado season across the SW & Midwest, so be VERY flexible in your planning. Small planes and violent weather don't mix well regardless of the number of ratings you have. Start with a plan, but make sure you're OK with modifying it on the fly. Look at any detours as a chance to see something unexpected and enjoy the adventure as it unfolds. If you relax and avoid get-there-itis you'll have a great time and you'll really get to know your plane.

This has probably already been mentioned, but I would schedule several extra days to allow for weather or mechanical delays.

@Domenick... looks like it was an epic journey. Great write up and pics...
Earlier, I did much more entertaining flight from New Orleans back to Seattle with a non-pilot buddy in early June before Katrina hit. He could hold altitude and course. What we had planned as 3 days became 11. On the hunt for the best steak in Hays, KS, borrowed a junker car from a cook and went off to shoot pool. Tornadoes in Nebraska and met awesome airport managers. Crashed a birthday kegger, shot pool, and got tattoos. Long slow climb out of broiling Douglas, WY. Raced some weather into Boseman. Spring weather was a continuing issue. Spitting distance from home, got stuck in Ellensburg. Ground adventures abounded.
https://www.demonick.com/flying/flying.logs.NEW-S43.html

Back