Cross country flight planning

Joffreyyy

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Joffreyyy
http://www.gaceflyingclub.com/Member Download/172S Skyhawk Information Manual Searchable.pdf

If I use this PoH. In performance section there is a calibrated airspeed. If I am trying to figure out True airspeed How do I get that?

Also it is only needed for the time, fuel and distance to climb chart correct (everything else is already TAS)

Would this be correct when doing a cross country flight plan?

Thanks.. (Just seeing what I would need to do to get True airspeed on my flight plan log)

Have you talked to your CFI about this?

For a cross country, you'll be estimating true airspeed, until the day of the flight -- since true airspeed is dependent upon atmospheric conditions...

You will have to make assumptions about temperature.

Which will then allow you to estimate groundspeed and wind correction angle, by calculating how forecast winds aloft will affect that speed.

But like your airspeed calculations, these will be estimates and you'll need updated info on exact winds aloft, or as close as you can get, for the actual flight day.

For total accuracy, you would calculate a real true airspeed during the flight, using real atmospheric information and the correct the flight log on the day of the flight with the changes.

But usually you'll just track groundspeed and see if you're hitting waypoints at the times you estimated.

If you're hitting them early, great. You're getting there faster and burning less fuel than you estimated.

If you're falling behind schedule, watch those fuel gauges and the clock. Might need to land for gas.

If you're not understanding the relationship between calibrated, indicated, and true airspeed, definitely talk to your instructor and let them know.

Unless that POH is for your specific airplane, I'd use it only for reference IMO. Talk to your CFI about this and have him show you. In all honesty both GS and TAS will be estimates until you get the exact numbers once airborne. So be sure to check the math you did on the ground with the actual numbers you're doing in the air.

Back