Crosfill between Aera 760 and GTN 650

CLAUDIO C ROBETTO

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Claudio
Does anyone know how to hardwire Aera 760 and GTN 650 so they can transfer flight plans each other? Other than FS 210 or FS 510....

I have an Aera 660 wired to a GPS175 using MAP-MX via serial wire. this is one way communication from the 175 to the 660 making the 660 a MFD to the 175. But if I connect the 660 to the 175 over Bluetooth (the 175 does not need the 510 for this) then I can transfer back and forth between the 660 and 175. I asked Garmin techs at Oshkosh about this and was told that the Bluetooth (510) connection is FAA approved for two way communication while the serial connection between the Handhelds and the panel mounts are not. He said something about TSO’D equipment connected to non TSO’D equipment So what I do is use my non TSO’D IPad mini 6 with Garmin Pilot to send Flight planning to the TSO’D 175 via connects, which is transferred to the non TSO’D 660. But I do have the non TSO’D 660 is wired to my TSO’D GTR225 and the non TSO’D 660 is allowed to send frequency info to the standby position of the TSO’D GTR225. Clear as mud

I have an Aera 510 on a permanent mount with a ships power connector that is wired to a GNS-430W to crossfill. My recollection was that the connection was a single wire attached to the power/data connector that attaches to one of the D-sub connectors on the GNS-430. Setup was straightforward based on instructions in the GNS-430W and Aera 510 manuals. Whatever I put in the GNS-430 shows up on the Aera 510. The Aera 510 is also hooked up to an XM-WX puck to get Nexrad and METAR overlays.

Recently panel mounted my 760 and hardwired it to my GPS 400.

Hardwire communication between the 760 and 400 is done via RS-232. The 400 is set to output MAPMX. Keep in mind the receive port opposite the MAPMX port will be disabled due to hardware limitations. This hardwire connection allows the GPS to send flight plan info to the 760.

To get flight plan info from the 760 to the GPS 400 I go through a FlightStream 210 via bluetooth.

I'm still trying to figure out all the ins and outs on flight plan sharing. The 760 has an internal and external flight plan mode and it affects how plans are transferred. There is also an auto send and auto accept setting that I'm still playing with. Then there is "direct to" and "obs" mode. Lots of things to work through.

Would like to learn what tips and tricks folks have learned about flight plant sharing between the 760 and a panel mounted navigator.

Back