Critic my ad please

Texastaildragger

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Rick
Saw Airplane sellers 2014 thread and thought maybe some pointers were due my ad, since I've had little interest.

PA-28 CHEROKEE 140 • CHECK THIS OUT • 72 Cherokee Cruiser PA28 5166TT 911 SMOH Paint 4/10 Interior 6/10 Apollo( Garmin) Radio w G/S 76A w Mode C Wont win any beauty contest , but if you want a reliable time builder then look no further. Great IFR trainer . Will trade for Citabria or Scout. $23,000 ALL LOGS no damage history • Contact Rick Risinger, Owner - located Vernon, TX USA • Telephone: 940-839-6505 . • Posted February 10, 2014 • Display Specs Page • Show all Ads posted by this Advertiser • Recommend This Ad to a Friend • Email Advertiser • Save to Watchlist • Report This Ad • View Larger Pictures

Any help would be appreciated. Don't think the price is too high but I could be wrong.

Well....... I don't see any pictures.... First thing needed. Even if the plane is a 4/10, I still want to see a picture to grab my attention.

In annual? Flown recently?

Need to give horsepower of the engine.you need pictures of plane and panel. Also all info on equipment such as ,does airplane have toe brakes,electric trim.the more info the better.

The text of your ad is all over the place. You mention time builder and great IFR trainer (dubious and subjective opinion and of which you provide scant evidence to support that opinion) but you have will trade for Cit...right in the mix.

While time builders are looking for cheap (in your favor) they are only looking for a few tens of hours and certainly not interested in a single analog GS (not in your favor). Exactly how many time builders have something to trade that you want? Answer: zero. Therefore, to spend $23K for a few hours needed is not financially prudent. Targeting the time builder is the wrong demographic. What you want is the semi-retired who will love her. Target that guy.

And what is a '76A' I could guess but why should I have to? When is IFR cert due on equipment that make it IFR trainer?

Lastly but most importantly, I want details on the engine. Which engine and I can go from there but at least show compressions and how many hours ago. When is annual due?

Last edited:
You're in "Trade-for-plane" That's a tough category to get any bites in. Price is ball park if you're willing to haggle a little. I didn't get much action on Barnstormers when I sold a similar plane. Got far far far better results from eBay.

Thanks for the help. Pics didn't make it in link but are on Barnstormers. I really appreciate y'all's opinions. A total rework is order me thinks.

Paint is 4/10? I'm sure you are being honest, but unless it's coming off in sheets or completely faded away, I'd probably call it a 5/10. :D

Paint is 4/10? I'm sure you are being honest, but unless it's coming off in sheets or completely faded away, I'd probably call it a 5/10. :D

I second that...

I wouldn't be able to "critic" your advertisement, regardless of its accuracy of details.
I could, however, respond to your request to "critique" the document. At such a time that anyone would "critique" the document, that person would be a critic per your request.
While being critical, on my part, you'd be wise to bone up on spelling, punctuation, and structure in order to create a good initial impression. Critic is always a noun; critique can be a verb or a noun, depending upon its application. Always proof what you've written prior to publishing same.

HR (Best wishes for a satisfactory sale)

Yes actually paint is probably 5 maybe 6. I just don't want to jerk folks around but it is 40 years old.,she is showing a little age......aren't we all.

Yes actually paint is probably 5 maybe 6. I just don't want to jerk folks around but it is 40 years old.,she is showing a little age......aren't we all.

Just call it "Original Paint" and move on to the good attributes.

"Critique my ad, please." A critic is a person who critiques, also the ad placed is not please, hence the coma. Or is that too critical? :D

"Your ad is so boring, it put me in a coma."?

In the day and age we live in pictures are almost a requirement. Can you post a tiny URL to pictures if you're in a trade-a-plane but get some pictures out there.

No pics? Let potential buyers decide if paint is a 4/10 by viewing pics. Also, review Jose's thread. Pretty funny or sad, but unfortunately true.

"Critique my ad, please." A critic is a person who critiques, also the ad placed is not please, hence the coma. Or is that too critical? :D

I can take a critique or critical analysis . And I admit to poor punctuation , but apologize for putting you in a COMA :rolleyes:

Can you post your barnstormers ad. It's a little easier to see what everyone else is seeing. (Sorry for any grammar errors)

1. Grab a GoPro and do a good video with your narration showing the entire plane. Post it on YouTube, and put the link in your ad.

2. Prepare a spec sheet and have it ready to send to people with inquires with the price of the plane on it with your contact info.

3. Have the last 5- 10 years of the log books scanned in PDF and send it to anyone who asks.

4. Post ad on Barnstormers also. Saturate the market with your plane, be a serious seller.

5. Do not negotiate price with buyers until they have seen the plane, and hopefully flown in it. No need tipping your hand to tire kickers.

5. Do not negotiate price with buyers until they have seen the plane, and hopefully flown in it. No need tipping your hand to tire kickers.

No way am I, as a buyer, traveling to look at a plane until I've had multiple conversations with the seller and agreed a price.

If you refuse to negotiate up front you will be limiting your audience to people within 100-200 miles.

No way am I, as a buyer, traveling to look at a plane until I've had multiple conversations with the seller and agreed a price.

If you refuse to negotiate up front you will be limiting your audience to people within 100-200 miles.

That doesn't make sense, why bother wasting everybody's time negotiating on something that you don't know the condition or value of? Pictures and people lie. I have walked up to planes that the deal was haggled out by parties and found tens of thousands of dollars of stuff wrong in the first 5 minutes and I have killed deals that were weeks in the making because the plane was represented inaccurately in phone conversations.

If you insist on negotiating up front, you will be limiting your selection to planes within 100-200 miles, or you are going to waste a lot of time on the phone.

Buying and selling, I have always agreed to price before anyone spends time and money traveling to look at an airplane. The only exception was the 182 that we bought, it was 50 miles away and we drove over and looked at it. My deals have always been contingent on the airplanes being as represented and so far the ones I have bought were. I rejected a couple airplanes on condition, but I knew the price. When selling I have, and always will represent them honestly. :D
I am not saying I bought or sold without pre-buys, but I am not going to travel half way across the country without knowing we are in agreement on price. ;)

That doesn't make sense, why bother wasting everybody's time negotiating on something that you don't know the condition or value of? Pictures and people lie. I have walked up to planes that the deal was haggled out by parties and found tens of thousands of dollars of stuff wrong in the first 5 minutes and I have killed deals that were weeks in the making because the plane was represented inaccurately in phone conversations.

If you insist on negotiating up front, you will be limiting your selection to planes within 100-200 miles, or you are going to waste a lot of time on the phone.

That doesn't make sense, why bother wasting everybody's time negotiating on something that you don't know the condition or value of? Pictures and people lie.

I didn't attempt to negotiate up front with my AC purchase... the SELLER did! Basic agreement was he would take care of ANYTHING and I mean ANYTHING that the A&P (Tiger expert) found, but that I would buy the AC at the listed price (if there wasn't anything super major engine or corrosion). It needed and received a full annual ... the bill the seller received was not for the faint of heart.

Won't both parties be better off wasting 20 minutes on the phone, than if one party agrees to buy an airline ticket, spend a day or two away from the office, travelling to meet the other party at the airport, at a pre-set time, then spending 2-59 minutes looking at a plane has/doesn't have hangar rash, has/doesnt have crazed plexi-glass, etc???

(And, I would argue if you would send me good pictures and copies of the logs via email, I wouldn't need to waste the 20 minutes.)

Good one.

Another longer version I ran across:

The Rules of Grammar
1. Verbs has to agree with their subjects.
2. Prepositions are not words to end sentences with.
3. And don't start a sentence with a conjunction.
4. It is wrong to ever split an infinitive.
5. Avoid clichés like the plague. (They're old hat.)
6. Also, always avoid annoying alliteration.
7. Also too, never, ever use repetitive redundancies.
8. Be more or less specific.
9. Parenthetical remarks (however relevant) are (usually) unnecessary.
10. No sentence fragments.
11. Contractions aren't necessary and shouldn't be used.
12. Foreign words and phrases are not apropos.
13. Do not be redundant; do not use more words than unnecessary; it is highly superfluous.
14. One should never generalize.
15. Comparisons are as bad as clichés.
16. Do not use no double negatives.
17. Eschew ampersands & abbreviations, etc.
18. One word sentences? Eliminate.
19. Analogies in writing are like feathers on a snake.
20. The passive voice is to be avoided.
21. Eliminate commas, that are, not necessary. Parenthetical words (however) should be enclosed in commas.
22. Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
23. Kill all exclamation points!!!
24. Use words correctly, irregardless of how others use them.
25. Profanity is for *******s.
26. Understatement is always the absolute best way to put forth earth shattering ideas.
27. Use the apostrophe in it's proper place and omit it when its not needed.
28. Eliminate quotations. As Ralph Waldo Emerson said, "I hate quotations. Tell me what you know."
29. If you've heard it once, you've heard it a thousand times: Resist hyperbole; not one writer in a million can use it effectively.
30. Puns are for children, not groan readers.
31. Go around the barn at high noon to avoid colloquialisms.
32. Even if a mixed metaphor sings, it should be derailed.
33. Who needs rhetorical questions?
34. Exaggeration is a billion times worse than understatement.

And finally:
35. Proof read carefully to see if you any words out

PA-28 CHEROKEE 140 • FOR SALE OR TRADE • 72 Cherokee Cruiser PA28 5166TT 911 SMOH 150 HP Paint 5/10 Interior 6/10 Apollo( Garmin) Radio w G/S , Garmin Audio Panel, Mode C w/Altitude Encoder. Toe Brakes on both sides . Times change , flown regularly on x countries of two to four hours. ALL LOGS NDH, current Annual (Sept 2013), Compressions 73, 74, 76,76 , new Starter , new Electric fuel pump. Looking for Citabria or Scout in the $50,000 range. Can deliver. Great first plane. Why rent ?Asking $23,000 • Contact Rick Risinger, Owner - located Vernon, TX USA • Telephone: 940-839-6505 . • Posted February 10, 2014 • Display Specs Page • Show all Ads posted by this Advertiser • Recommend This Ad to a Friend • Email Advertiser • Save to Watchlist • Report This Ad • View Larger Pictures

Is this better. I'm not smart enough to load more than one photo, but that was obvious by my misspelling of critique.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Won't both parties be better off wasting 20 minutes on the phone, than if one party agrees to buy an airline ticket, spend a day or two away from the office, travelling to meet the other party at the airport, at a pre-set time, then spending 2-59 minutes looking at a plane has/doesn't have hangar rash, has/doesnt have crazed plexi-glass, etc???

(And, I would argue if you would send me good pictures and copies of the logs via email, I wouldn't need to waste the 20 minutes.)

20 minutes is a standard call, that's not wasting time, multiple hour long calls over the course of weeks is wasting time. I have learned over the years that there is little to be gained from viewing the pictures and log book scans.Pictures are nice and give you a basic idea, but they are far from giving the information needed to negotiate on. As for the log books, there is little they tell that I could make any kind of decision on. Granted I can save a couple hours on site and make notes on findings, but personally I prefer to look at the logs and plane together so I can look and verify things as I get to them.

20 minutes is a standard call, that's not wasting time, multiple hour long calls over the course of weeks is wasting time. I have learned over the years that there is little to be gained from viewing the pictures and log book scans.Pictures are nice and give you a basic idea, but they are far from giving the information needed to negotiate on. As for the log books, there is little they tell that I could make any kind of decision on. Granted I can save a couple hours on site and make notes on findings, but personally I prefer to look at the logs and plane together so I can look and verify things as I get to them.

I haven't been able to talk to anyone on the phone for "multiple hour long" since I was a 17 year old kid chasing cheerleaders....

Certainly not going to talk for hours to a stranger about a plane.

Maybe it is a generational thing.

A twenty minute phone call , should not be a problem,if you are really interested. I would make up a list of questions beforehand. I would drive the conversation ,with the prepared questions.

Is this better. I'm not smart enough to load more than one photo, but that was obvious by my misspelling of critique.

the paint looks oxidized in the picture. do you think running over it with a buffer would help? It really may add some shine and get rid of some of the chalkiness.

I'd try to figure out how to load more pics. Everyone loves a panel shot.

Last edited:
the paint looks oxidized in the picture. do you think running over it with a buffer would help? It really may add some shine and get rid of some of the chalkiness.

I'd try to figure out how to load more pics. Everyone loves a panel shot.

:yeahthat:

A good random orbit buffer, compound, and a wheel or two should cost less than $200 and then you have a nice buffer for your car, boat, other plane, whatever.

https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...7.3&ei=N30PU9H_M-OiyAHwooCYAg&ved=0CHEQpiswAA

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...-articles-help-newbies-machine-polishing.html

Those tutorials are for auto paint, make sure that everything is compatible with your aircraft and paint and that the technique is applicable.

Back