Cringe-worthy sight

chemgeek

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
chemgeek
It was a nice day here in Central NY, one of several warm, sunny days in a row. So it's a good time to go flying and get the old engine heated up and exercised. While I'm pulling my plane out of the hangar and pre-flighting, I see a tied-down C172, surrounded by snowbanks (I shoveled my hangar out while the shoveling was easy--now it's solid ice) ground-running the engine, periodically gunning it, for like a half-hour. That can't be good for the engine...yikes. Then I took my plane up and gave it a good run for 75 minutes.

What would specifically be harmed by that?

About all I can think of is not getting the oil to normal ops temp.

Probably trying to top up the battery while watching the ammeter. Takes a while.

Gunning it is kinda dumb though. Suck up stuff and beat up the tail.

We had a similar moron at IAD. Had a real pretty 172 and he'd comeout and not even untie it and sit there and run it for 30 minutes at high rpms. First, it's extremely antisocial. If he wants to tear up his engine like that, he could move it to the run up area or the corner of the ramp or something that he's not blowing crap all over the aircraft behind him. Second, I told him its not doing anything good for his engine. I suggested he just fly the thing. Yes, it is IAD, but at the time of evening he was doing this, he could have been up in the air in a few minutes and flown for 30 minutes and come back. If not, I told him there were plenty of folks around that would be happy to fly it for him.

What would specifically be harmed by that?

About all I can think of is not getting the oil to normal ops temp.

Probably trying to top up the battery while watching the ammeter. Takes a while.

Gunning it is kinda dumb though. Suck up stuff and beat up the tail.

Ground running adds combustion products, including water, to the oil, but doesn't get the engine hot enough to drive it out. Probably doing more harm than good than just letting the engine sit, plus beating up the prop with any grit and pebbles on the tarmac. With a little extra effort, he could have just flown it...assuming it's in annual and the pilot is curent.

Best is simply to preserve it and renew as required.

So, actual question.
Would just turning the engine over a few times help rather than hurt?
Seems it may recoat the parts with oil without adding any bad stuff.

Just wondering..

So, actual question.

Just wondering..

some say that sucks moisture into the engine. Possibly better to just let it sit if you cant fly it.

Maybe charging the battery?

If you followed the OEM cold wx procedure no issue with a ground run.

Only cringe thing I see is people starting planes right to a high power setting

So, actual question.

Just wondering..

I believe you’d scrape some lube off the cylinders and cam/lifters. The 2 places that rust will normally show up are not really benefiting from cranking only - cam/lifter and cylinders.

Why on earth would any pilot on a decent day sit on the ground and do ground run for any period of time is beyond me

Why on earth would any pilot on a decent day sit on the ground and do ground run for any period of time is beyond me
Balancing a prop? Prep for an oil change before a long flight?

There’s at least two.

If my only choices were ground run or not run at all, I would choose to run the engine. I suspect the person in question was trying to get the oil up to temp to drive the moisture out. I agree doing it in the tie down is questionable, but if he couldn't fly it legally, what else could he do? I'd argue getting the cam & lifters oily trumps most of the other concerns.

It's unlikely you'd get the oil up to the 180F or so required to drive off the water by a static runup without also causing heat damage to other parts of the engine. This is NOT a good idea.

It's unlikely you'd get the oil up to the 180F or so required to drive off the water by a static runup without also causing heat damage to other parts of the engine. This is NOT a good idea.

Not as an endorsement of the operating technique but I wonder scientifically if this is an OWT. Never seen any real measurements of it, but also have never seen an engine after any ground run time that wasn’t just evenly hot. Cowled and no airflow it all pretty much bakes evenly.

Also always wondered why 180F is some magic, also likely OWT number. It’s 30 degrees short of boiling point so it really isn’t doing much to water. Tiny bit of accelerated evaporation.

All of these truthy sounding things, have never seen anyone measure anything. Seems cagey like many aviation truisms.

I do know you’ll burn yourself on the most massive (and slowest to heat) portions of the case after even a short ground idle so we know that it has made it to at least 140F.

Also never seen an CHT anywhere close to takeoff temps (above 300F) during any ground ops of any sort, and that’s likely going to be the hottest place in any engine barring exhaust gasses and the exhaust system, and the EGTs are usually off scale low during taxi also.

So... just a quick inventory of known temps seems to indicate this probably really is an OWT, but interested in real data.

If it is an old wives tail, some really smart wives are promulgating it. The number came to me by way of AeroShell, straight from their "answer book"

Therefore, unless the oil temperature reaches 170°F to 180°F during flight, the engine will not boil off the water that has accumulated in the crankcase. The result: rust and corrosion. Note that an excessively high oil temperature will also cause problems. Here are some tips to help avoid oil temperature problems:

Monitor the oil temperature during flight. It should be about 180°F even in winter. If it is lower, you may need a winterization kit. Otherwise, check with your mechanic to see what is causing the excessively low oil temperature

Last edited:
I guess it's wrong for someone to do what they want with their own personal property. :rolleyes:

Think you missed the point, or more likely you are just trying to be edgy?

Don’t think anyone was talking right or wrong in the big picture, seems obvious they were talking good forum or whatever you want to call it, like not slamming your doors.

Charge battery, check some issue, warm up before mx, lots of reasons.

Also always wondered why 180F is some magic, also likely OWT number. It’s 30 degrees short of boiling point so it really isn’t doing much to water. Tiny bit of accelerated evaporation.

Not an OWT, the vapor pressure of water is temperature dependent. 180 F is the normal operating oil temp in our engines. (Higher is discouraged by oil and engine mfgrs.) At 180 F the vapor pressure of water is about half that of the boiling point (355 torr). At 140 F, the vapor pressure of water is not even half that, about 150 torr. The rate of evaporation of water at 180 F is therefore more than double that at 140 F. About an hour of operation at 180 F is required to reduce the water levels in your oil to minimum, steady-state levels. Ground running won't generally be able to achieve the necessary temps, so your steady state water concentration will be much higher than if you went and flew it. Ground running at high rpm probably doesn't do much for engine cooling, either.

If the intent of ground running an airplane is to prevent engine corrosion, it doesn't really work. If charging the battery, well, there are battery chargers for that. If you have an AGM battery and no current drains in the aircraft, it should go the whole winter without losing significant charge. A flooded cell is a different matter.

I just hate seeing an airplane mistreated, but hey, it's not mine...

The dew point of the combustion products of a properly running engine is about 180 degF. Below that, water will be condensing into the crankcase oil. The vapor pressure of water (or most anything for that matter), doubles about every 18 degF too.

Any of you ever done an extended ground run with an engine monitor to watch temps? Must not have, judging by these comments.

Any of you ever done an extended ground run with an engine monitor to watch temps? Must not have, judging by these comments.

The temps shown by Cht are localized to the area of the probe. The actual temp varies all over the head. The areas closer to the exhaust being considerably hotter than other areas. Reduced airflow through the engine during ground ops does not allow for even cooling. Uneven temps and the different expansion rates are not good for the cyls. I'm no thermodynamicist, however, this is some of what I have read from lycomings thermo engineers

Not an OWT, the vapor pressure of water is temperature dependent. 180 F is the normal operating oil temp in our engines. (Higher is discouraged by oil and engine mfgrs.) At 180 F the vapor pressure of water is about half that of the boiling point (355 torr). At 140 F, the vapor pressure of water is not even half that, about 150 torr. The rate of evaporation of water at 180 F is therefore more than double that at 140 F. About an hour of operation at 180 F is required to reduce the water levels in your oil to minimum, steady-state levels. Ground running won't generally be able to achieve the necessary temps, so your steady state water concentration will be much higher than if you went and flew it. Ground running at high rpm probably doesn't do much for engine cooling, either.

Well aware of that, but it’s hilarious to read Shell’s wording above that it’s “boiling”.

Completely unscientific and impossible at 180F. Nothing is boiling in our engines until you’re needing O2 on board by law. LOL.

Wasn’t it Tom who showed a pool of water the size of someone’s fist sitting in the oil pan of an engine that was run at normal temps here once, and due to the shape of the pan and drain location it would never leave?

That last line about cooling isn’t usually backed up with any real numbers either. If you tightly cowl the thing it’s going to get hot without air, no doubt, but at idle you aren’t heating the cylinder head all that fast and the entire engine gets hot pretty evenly, judging by actually sticking your hand near things in there after only a few minutes.

Never seen any real measurements taken.

Someone said they read something by Lycoming engineers but no reference to it.

That first full throttle shove for takeoff is where a massive amount of heat is produced and would be the biggest concern for “uneven heating”.

It’s essentially the “shock cooling” OWT in reverse.

Well aware of that, but it’s hilarious to read Shell’s wording above that it’s “boiling”.

Completely unscientific and impossible at 180F. Nothing is boiling in our engines until you’re needing O2 on board by law. LOL.

Wasn’t it Tom who showed a pool of water the size of someone’s fist sitting in the oil pan of an engine that was run at normal temps here once, and due to the shape of the pan and drain location it would never leave?

That last line about cooling isn’t usually backed up with any real numbers either. If you tightly cowl the thing it’s going to get hot without air, no doubt, but at idle you aren’t heating the cylinder head all that fast and the entire engine gets hot pretty evenly, judging by actually sticking your hand near things in there after only a few minutes.

That first full throttle shove for takeoff is where a massive amount of heat is produced and would be the biggest concern for “uneven heating”.

A lot of us real mechanics (as opposed to armchair mechanics) have seen the damage caused by condensation that accumulates in the engine during ground runs. Some of us have found the water actually inside rocker covers and between the piston and cylinder walls when we pull apart an engine that was run on the ground for ten or 15 minutes. There's a lot of water there. And no water anywhere if we pull apart an engine that was flown in. Not an OWT at all. An owner can do what he wants, just like a pilot can fly like he wants, but ignorance kills both engines and people.

Tom's right. Preserve it and leave it alone.

A lot of us real mechanics (as opposed to armchair mechanics) have seen the damage caused by condensation that accumulates in the engine during ground runs. Some of us have found the water actually inside rocker covers and between the piston and cylinder walls when we pull apart an engine that was run on the ground for ten or 15 minutes. There's a lot of water there. And no water anywhere if we pull apart an engine that was flown in. Not an OWT at all. An owner can do what he wants, just like a pilot can fly like he wants, but ignorance kills both engines and people.

Sure but there’s no indication that was the reasoning or thinking of this person doing the ground run nor that they did it regularly. For all we know they were troubleshooting something and didn’t want a dead battery on top of their other avionics misery. LOL.

They’ll fly it tomorrow after their mechanic fixes their 1970’s quality electrical system made by Ford. LOL.

And it has nothing to do with what I asked for. Real scientific measurements. Teaching from anecdotes is fine. Teaching from real measurements and effort is better.

Might also mention that if anyone finds water in pretty much anything in Colorado except ten minutes after a rainstorm with the oil cap off and the cowl door open, we have much bigger problems. Ha. :)

As one mechanic here said to me once, “If you find a Colorado airplane with corrosion it wasn’t a Colorado airplane.” ;)

On ground runs-----I had a plane from WA State trailered down to me in AZ. It had been out of annual for 10 years and the owner ran it regularly during this time. Engine a C-85.
The engine was pretty well rusted inside. Crank, cam, lifters, etc. I had the owners credit card for parts, and my labor was going to be a Champ that was unairworthy. I had been trying to buy it for the last 10-12 years. When I was up in WA I had removed the prop so in could NOT be started or even turned over.
When I got the Champ the engine (C-85) was in excellent shape.

On our race car and motorcycle engines, we pulled a slight vacuum in the crankcases (using the exhaust flow). This would be a good thing in aero engines, as a general practice; lower internal friction and more boiling of condensate.

On our race car and motorcycle engines, we pulled a slight vacuum in the crankcases (using the exhaust flow). This would be a good thing in aero engines, as a general practice; lower internal friction and more boiling of condensate.

Probably all sorts of neat ideas if engines in light aircraft weren’t 1930s tractor engines. LOL.

BS. You take a Lycoming that was flown in cold weather, let it cool, and you'll find water in the rocker drains.

BS. You take a Lycoming that was flown in cold weather, let it cool, and you'll find water in the rocker drains.
In really cold weather, yes. Milky brown stuff on the dipstick, too. It's the reason we need winter fronts and oil cooler blocking plates in that weather. In the flight school we used both, and we didn't have much crankcase moisture unless we were flying near our limit of -25°C.

Most recreational pilots don't fly in that weather. Probably a majority of pilots in the lower 48 have never bothered to even start the thing at -25°C (-13°F).

Then there is those with no shades or cover in the summertime down in south. 160° interior temperatures is not good for leather, plastics, or electronics.

Tom

Most recreational pilots don't fly in that weather. Probably a majority of pilots in the lower 48 have never bothered to even start the thing at -25°C (-13°F).
the Alaskan airman believe the cold dry air is the best flying.

The oil temperature, 180 F in your example, is measured where the oil enters the engine after the oil cooler. After working its' way through the engine, before entering the cooler, the oil is about 40 degrees warmer, say 220 F in your example. That's above the boiling point of water... that's how hot the oil gets on its way to the sump where it can evolve that water into vapor out the crankcase vent. Works pretty well, actually.

The oil temperature, 180 F in your example, is measured where the oil enters the engine after the oil cooler. After working its' way through the engine, before entering the cooler, the oil is about 40 degrees warmer, say 220 F in your example. That's above the boiling point of water... that's how hot the oil gets on its way to the sump where it can evolve that water into vapor out the crankcase vent. Works pretty well, actually.

Well that’s enlightening info actually. Which makes me wonder other than cheaper sensors, why measure at the coldest point.

Also makes me wonder why the quote from the engine maker says the oil has to reach the low temp instead of the actual oil temp. Just laziness/convenience of where most people would be measuring? Their wording doesn’t really hint at a location or how to measure.

Which leads to the question again of why we aren’t more specific in these words.

They probably don’t say “indicated” temperature for a reason? Lawyers don’t trust indicators? Differing installations? Etc.

We sure get specific on turbines but these old ass tractor engines, we still do the 1930s and 40s vague stuff with 1970s car gauges.

Any modern engine the engineer just sticks the sensor exactly where they want it and the computer won’t let you harm it. But I know... too newfangled for light GA and piston power.

I think it’s funny that the top minds in piston power plant tech tell us all to get engine monitors. So yay. We’ll have 1/8 the sensors giving us data that my 20 year old car with an OBD port provides. Haha. Oh by the way... interpret it yourself. Why would we program a microcontroller to do that? :)

On the flip side, that same “abused” engine with vague data and just pouring fuel through it, will probably make it to TBO and beyond. They’re big sloppy motors that take an impressive amount of abuse, but they started as stuff that would survive great-grandpa beating them up on the farm. Rebuilt them on the farm, too.

We act like they’re really fussy but on the low compression ones at least, they’re not that fussy.

I just like seeing reasons behind the numbers. 180F being the lowest temp in the engine because we are measuring at the coolest point, works for me. That isn’t exactly the wording quoted from the manufacturers though.

I’d also like to see a 40F split measuring the other side of the cooler but haven’t seen anybody do it. Seems like one could even do that inaccurately with an IR gun these days since that plumbing is visible.

Ground idle with occasional blasts of full power. 200F below the metal damage point. If you see 40F delta between the intake of the oil cooler and output, are you really losing 200F from the damage point to the oil cooler?

Be fun to give one of our typical engines to a modern race team and instrument it up as much as they do theirs. @Ted DuPuis probably came the closest of anybody here who’s talked about it. And of course the late Ben H.

It’s kinda like digging for the basis of the MP green arc on the O-470 182s.

“So what’s this based off of?”
“The POH.”
“So Cessna based that off of a recommendation from Continental?”
“No.”
“What did they base it off of?”
<Blink...> “Stuff...”
“Vibrations? Prop? Anything?”
“Not that anybody has found published anywhere.”
“Okay. Well we’ll teach ‘em to keep it in the green...”

Now there are engines and prop combos we can find real data on, but some... nope. So I’m just saying it’d be really cool if we had data.

How many decades did the oversquare garbage from radials stick around in the straight engine folklore?

Or here we go. Shots fired... Shock cooling” affecting every single installation and flight profile? Heh.

That said I do love my obnoxious 13-15 GPH lumbering six cylinder monstrosity and avoid the things the old folks say are bad for it. Just don’t have any real data to prove much of it.

The power table in the book is based off of some WWII guy saying identical numbers were good, basically. It took until the late 90s to debunk that. :)

Reactions: Ted
Well that’s enlightening info actually. Which makes me wonder other than cheaper sensors, why measure at the coldest point.

Also makes me wonder why the quote from the engine maker says the oil has to reach the low temp instead of the actual oil temp. Just laziness/convenience of where most people would be measuring? Their wording doesn’t really hint at a location or how to measure.

The engine manufacturer specifies max oil inlet temps because they know what happens to oil's lubricating properties when it gets too hot. And it can get too close to its flash point, too. By specifying a max inlet temp, the airframe manufacturer has to design an oil cooling system that will keep the oil within that in any normal operating environment or condition. The engine manufacturer will have tested the engine to determine the oil temperature rise inside it at max power and max ambient temps.

I learned a long time ago that engineers have good reasons for the specifications they come up with. Stuff that looks silly can suddenly makes sense once one understands the factors behind it.

The oil experts say maintained oil temp (indicated temp) is about 50* less than what that oil sees on its way through the engine and 100% of your oil is exposed to cylinder walls, the hottest surface in the engine, every 5 minutes. That explains the 165* normal oil temp lower limit somewhat, but really explains the high temp limit better.

The oil experts say maintained oil temp (indicated temp) is about 50* less than what that oil sees on its way through the engine and 100% of your oil is exposed to cylinder walls, the hottest surface in the engine, every 5 minutes. That explains the 165* normal oil temp lower limit somewhat, but really explains the high temp limit better.

That’s cool. Well hot. Ha. :)

Lyc usually specifies a max inlet temp of 245°F. If the temp rises 50° in the engine, that makes it 295, and the oil is getting pretty thin. It will start smoking at temps not much over that, and smoking means it's charring and degrading quickly.

Lyc usually specifies a max inlet temp of 245°F. If the temp rises 50° in the engine, that makes it 295, and the oil is getting pretty thin. It will start smoking at temps not much over that, and smoking means it's charring and degrading quickly.

That makes sense. Interesting that is 100F roughly from aluminum damage still. But if it’s degrading...

Still seems pretty difficult to get to in an idle ground run with occasional full power blasts of silliness. :)

Back