Credit for SIM Work Remotely?

Discussion in 'Cleared for the Approach' started by USAF-LT-G, Dec 13, 2017.

1. USAF-LT-G

USAF-LT-G Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    USAF-LT-G
    I was thinking about this today... and even did a quick google search to see if anyone had thought of this already, but came up with nothing.

So, your an IFR pilot, and you need to do your 6 approaches, holds, etc. within 6 months in actual, sim, trainer, etc. - and you have to have a safety pilot or CFI, etc.

With today's technology... What if Pilot A owned his / her own SIM at home, and Pilot B acted as a safety pilot but wasn't physically at your house when you wanted to do some procedural work? (Say You're in Denver, and they're in Washington). Why couldn't you hook up a webcam, or have them remote desktop into the machine / webex or something to satisfy the requirement, and then just have them sign / fax a logbook entry? Wouldn't that all still technically satisfy the rule?

Just curious if anyone has even thought of this.... I mean I suppose you could make a business out of this too... "rent a remote safety pilot"

2. SkyHog

SkyHog Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Everything Offends Me
    I’m going to give the lazy answer which I try to avoid - but can you log sim time with a safety pilot? I thought you had to have a CFI present to log.

3. USAF-LT-G

USAF-LT-G Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    USAF-LT-G
    Hmm.. actually you're right, according to 61.51 part (g), "a person can use simulator or training device time provided an "authorized instructor is present to observe that time and signs the logbook..."

Ok, so I'll slightly revise my previous comment, to ask why this still couldn't be accomplished remotely.... with an instructor observing via some web cam or something similar.

4. chartbundle

chartbundle Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    chartbundle
  5. SkyHog

SkyHog Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Everything Offends Me
    That would be awesome. If that does pass, I might just get me a FTD for the basement of my house and log thousands and thousands of hours just for funsies.

6. denverpilot

denverpilot Taxi to Parking

Display Name:

Display name:
    DenverPilot
    It’s the holidays. I figure this might show up in March or April, if it hasn’t run afoul of serious opposition inside FAA.

There’s some serious problems with it as an overall concept, and they’re probably trying hard to figure out how to make it both useful for currency while not making it useful for time-building.

I’ve suspected for a long time that only very small numbers of pilots will be happy with the final rules on this one. We shall see what the lawyers have come up with.

But I doubt we’ll see it until long after everyone involved is back from holiday travel and time off.