Credit Card Suggestions?

MSmith

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Mark Smith
Anybody have suggestions for a replacement for the AOPA Visa?

I'm looking for a Visa, because I already carry a MasterCard and there are enough places that don't take Amex or Discover to avoid them (for me).

Interest rate is not important - I always pay in full.

A cash back reward would be good.

Beyond that, any perks are gravy.

I think that Consumer Reports does a regular comparison of cards, though they're always changing so frequently that I don't know how timely it would be. IOW, I don't have any direct advice for you.

USAA- they are always very responsive, treat you as if you are the customer. They do have a reward points program that is reasonably ... ummm... rewarding.

USAA always amazes me- they are the proof that a big bureaucracy can work well, as they have always been helpful and responsive in in surance, and banking. When you call them, if you get the wrong person/department, the person who answers will not ever get off of the phone with you unless and until the right person has been identified, and has been introduced to you, on the phone, by them. And they thank you. Amazing.

Ah. I also have no military or public service background. Thus, no USAA. :(

MSmith said:
Ah. I also have no military or public service background. Thus, no USAA. :(

Have you exhausted all categories of membership? My wife and I are members by virtue of our respective dads' retired military status.

I thought USAA was a bit like Sam's club. If you can prove you are a carbon based life form and know someone who once had any sort of affiliation with the uS government or heard of the US government you could take advantage of there services.

smigaldi said:
I thought USAA was a bit like Sam's club. If you can prove you are a carbon based life form and know someone who once had any sort of affiliation with the uS government or heard of the US government you could take advantage of there services.

Maybe not that loose, but not too far either, esp. since linkage to emlisted personnel became a qualifier.

Look into it, at least, they are a stand-up organization.

Here's USAA's eligibility page. Note that to check you for eligibility they ask a LOT of questions, about the fourth of which is your SSN.
https://www.usaa.com/inet/ent_references/CpStaticPages?PAGEID=cp_eligibility_landing

Their list of qualifiers consists of:
  • Active duty officers and enlisted personnel.
  • National Guard, Selected Reserve officers and enlisted personnel.
  • Officer candidates in commissioning programs.
  • Recently retired or separated military personnel.
  • Children of USAA members.
  • Former USAA members.

I've had good return with Discover's Gas Card. But, you have to call and request it specifically. It's not marketed regularly.

Also, I just got a MasterCard Business Card from Advanta. Initially, I got it for a 1.99% rate on the duration of a balance transfer. But, they have a 6% rebate on fuel charges.

Just check out CardWeb.com. They have a great guide to look for what you might want.

SCCutler said:
Have you exhausted all categories of membership? My wife and I are members by virtue of our respective dads' retired military status.

Yeah. The best I have is my father-in-law. As this card is the "only on Mark's credit" card, that probably won't work.

Before you ask - we have one joint card, and each of us has one card on our own. That establishes credit for both of us independent of the other should one of us die.

I have a CitiCard mastercard.

Their cash rebate program gives you:

5% back on Fuel purchases (auto gas only i believe, never tried using it on Avgas though)
2% back on Grocery, Hardware, Office Suply stores
1% back on Everything else

Everytime you reach $50 in cash back rewards, They send you a check.

MSmith said:
Anybody have suggestions for a replacement for the AOPA Visa?

I'm looking for a Visa, because I already carry a MasterCard and there are enough places that don't take Amex or Discover to avoid them (for me).

Interest rate is not important - I always pay in full.

A cash back reward would be good.

Beyond that, any perks are gravy.

Check BankRate.com

Back