Creating An Instrument Approach

OtisAir

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
OtisAir
Anyone on the forum have TERPS experience?

Regulations state that even individual pilots can request an approach to be created (not meaning it'll be approved of course) for an airport. Wings Field (KLOM) had at one time an NDB approach, in addition to two GPS approaches. Since then, the NDB got busticated and will not be replaced. Having only GPS approaches with no IFR approved GPS in the Viking Witch (N8388W), I'd like to make use of a convenient VOR nearby.

There are several VORs in the area including one that aligns itself with final quite well. I'd like to explore the possibilities of designing a VOR approach off of Modena VOR (MXE) into Rwy 06 at Wings (KLOM).

http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/air_traffic/approach.html

:blueplane:

Anyone on the forum have TERPS experience?

Regulations state that even individual pilots can request an approach to be created (not meaning it'll be approved of course) for an airport. Wings Field (KLOM) had at one time an NDB approach, in addition to two GPS approaches. Since then, the NDB got busticated and will not be replaced. Having only GPS approaches with no IFR approved GPS in the Viking Witch (N8388W), I'd like to make use of a convenient VOR nearby.

There are several VORs in the area including one that aligns itself with final quite well. I'd like to explore the possibilities of designing a VOR approach off of Modena VOR (MXE) into Rwy 06 at Wings (KLOM).

http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/air_traffic/approach.html

:blueplane:

It would probably be cheaper to just put in an IFR GPS unit. Serious.

Ed is right, besides MXE is 23nm SW of LOM. Thats a long way. PTW is only 13nm but intecets the runway at a 60* angle so they can't use that for an approach. The best would be NXX which is only 6nm and lined up for 24 pretty well, but that is military and I don't even know if its opperational.

Ed is right, besides MXE is 23nm SW of LOM. Thats a long way. PTW is only 13nm but intecets the runway at a 60* angle so they can't use that for an approach. The best would be NXX which is only 6nm and lined up for 24 pretty well, but that is military and I don't even know if its opperational.

The VOR approach into KPHN is 22 miles from the ECK VOR and 60 degrees off the best runway heading. But it puts you over the runway at 500 feet for the circle to land.

I get the impression from this thread that the original poster thinks they want you to draft and submit a proposed approach... my impression is that you can request one, but they don't expect you to do any of the work. Will they really "accept" your TERPS-planned approach, verify the data, and publish it??

Back