Crazy year

N5922S

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
N5922S
So far this year, we've had, at most, 5 days when I'd feel comfortable taking someone for their first airplane ride. Even when it seems great on the ground, the rock-n-roll starts about tree level. Last Saturday, the KTYR TAF included a low-level wind shear alert.

I've been flying for 45 years and I don't recall weather like this. WAZZUP??

No kidding. Winds and bumps have been a regular thing lately. I am very glad I started my journey when it wasn't like it has been. If this were my introduction, I may not have made it. Now I am getting used to it. Not fun for passengers but at least I don't don't get scared anymore. Well, almost

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So far this year, we've had, at most, 5 days when I'd feel comfortable taking someone for their first airplane ride. Even when it seems great on the ground, the rock-n-roll starts about tree level. Last Saturday, the KTYR TAF included a low-level wind shear alert.

I've been flying for 45 years and I don't recall weather like this. WAZZUP??
It's the hot air and pure wind from all the politicians ratchetjawing in an election year. ;)

For us it has been the rain and /or wind...:eek: Neither is fun at all for giving someone their first small plane ride.:):):)

Well you see there's this here sun thing up there that heats up the earth's surface, heating different areas differently, like a plowed field vs a forested area for example. Creates vertical currents hence turbulence or the bumpies. That's why it's usually a lot smoother early in the morning, or in the evening.

Well you see there's this here sun thing up there that heats up the earth's surface, heating different areas differently, like a plowed field vs a forested area for example. Creates vertical currents hence turbulence or the bumpies. That's why it's usually a lot smoother early in the morning, or in the evening.

WOW!!!:eek::eek::eek:

Does Bernie have a solution for this unacceptable state of affairs? :rolleyes:

I fly in the northern half of Texas very frequently - weekly and often daily, and there have been plenty of nice days that were smooth enough for discovery flights.

No kidding. Winds and bumps have been a regular thing lately. I am very glad I started my journey when it wasn't like it has been. If this were my introduction, I may not have made it. Now I am getting used to it. Not fun for passengers but at least I don't don't get scared anymore. Well, almost

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Student pilot here... Although the cancellations have been frustrating, I actually think getting my initial training in these crazy winds has been good for me. I'm not even remotely bothered by bumpy skies and can nail crosswind landings (maybe not always gracefully, but they don't scare me). The rare days when the skies are calm are almost unnerving for me! My first solo xc the other day was supposed to be calm wind, but ended up with mod turbulence and gusty winds.... right up my alley!! :)

Last edited:
I'd rather live in hell. It'd be cooler and less humid.

Funny, tell people I live in Alabama and they begin insulting the south. Crazy especially when they've never have lived here. I usually respond and say good, then you won't be moving here. BTW I've lived in NJ, MN, RI, WA and 5 foreign countries.

I'd rather live in hell. It'd be cooler and less humid.

Sure down in low areas of FL, GA, SC but not in the mountains.

My brother lives in TX and is always complaining about winds / turb. High of 79 here today and calm. I'll take that any day over TX.

Funny, tell people I live in Alabama and they begin insulting the south. Crazy especially when they've never have lived here. I usually respond and say good, then you won't be moving here. BTW I've lived in NJ, MN, RI, WA and 5 foreign countries.

I've lived in (for at least 3 months each) and built projects in:

Eunice, LA
Long Beach & Laurel, MS
Albertville & Pell City, AL
Thomasville, Thomaston, Thompson, Augusta, Waynesville, Swainsville, Sandersville, Fitzgerald, Baxley, Hazelhurst, Vidalia, Milledgeville, Brunswick, Waycross & Statesboro, GA.

And more that I'm not remembering right now I'm sure.

6 months out of the year it was hell working outside across almost the entire region. But, granted, not quite as bad as Houston. Spent 18 months there. You couldn't pay me enough...

Sure down in low areas of FL, GA, SC but not in the mountains.

Oh, I agree with that one.

Gotta give the Yanks a mulligan, if my balls froze off I would be bitter too.

I'd rather sweat and shovel **** than shiver shoveling snow.

Albertville not too bad but I wouldn't want to live there either. I'm not far from Pell City, south of BHM. I agree about Houston, that is a humid place. I lived in the N. Ga mountains and the climate was similar to NJ. Now Korea, wow, cold as heck in the winter and hot and humid in summer like the deep south. Talk about extremes.

Albertville not too bad but I wouldn't want to live there either. .

It wasn't too bad of an area except that Tyson is taking over just like they have NW AR. You can smell the chicken sh!!t for miles from all the chicken houses in the area and litter being spread "as fertilizer" on the fields.

No other company can so degrade the local environment as quickly as Tyson can when left unchecked. Thus they tend to go to areas where they know they'll have carte blanche.

Oh, and Arab. I forgot about Arab. It's right around the corner, now THAT'S an interesting place.

LOL yeah there seem to be a ton of chicken plants up that way. Not too bad around Huntsville area, 'Moon Town' airport pretty cool grass strip/airport. Arab never been. What's interesting about it other than being a small town?

I've lived in (for at least 3 months each) and built projects in:

Eunice, LA
Long Beach & Laurel, MS
Albertville & Pell City, AL
Thomasville, Thomaston, Thompson, Augusta, Waynesville, Swainsville, Sandersville, Fitzgerald, Baxley, Hazelhurst, Vidalia, Milledgeville, Brunswick, Waycross & Statesboro, GA.

You've been everywhere, man, you've been everywhere... You should write a song.

Picked up the Mooney in Atlanta in August. Not in a big hurry to go back. Too hot. Glad you guys like it, I really am. I am a Northerner.

Picked up the Mooney in Atlanta in August. Not in a big hurry to go back. Too hot. Glad you guys like it, I really am. I am a Northerner.

You know it gets plenty hot here in Cbus in the summer, humid too. We just get the summer weather of GA and the winter weather of NY. Worst of both.

Thought we were talking about wind and crazy weather, not having a ****ing contest about north vs south? I spent plenty of time (30 yrs) below the Mason Dixon. Happier now that I am up north, but don't fault anyone who feels otherwise.

I fly in both the north and south,bad weather is bad weather.

You've been everywhere, man, you've been everywhere... You should write a song.

I've been involved in projects as either an architect's project manager, an owner's project manager, or the general contractor in at least thirty states, likely more. And literally lived in that many, during the week at least.

The only states I've not spent a significant amount of time in are Alaska and Hawaii. Went to Alaska last year for the first time on vacation, never been in Hawaii. But I have a really good feel for almost all the lower 48. Both good and bad.

What I always enjoyed doing when I'd roll into a new area is stop at a convenience store, ask where the worst part of town is and then go tour it. First making sure I was legal to carry of course. :)

I have pretty strong opinions about various areas, good and bad, but they're all based in personal experience from literally living there and seeing how much better it is than other areas.

In general:

Average temperature and work ethic are inversely proportional (at least in the construction trades and ancillary groups).

Good food and work ethic are inversely proportionate, i.e. There are cultures that eat to live and there are cultures that live to eat.

There are exceptions to both of those generalities of course but in general...

You know it gets plenty hot here in Cbus in the summer, humid too. We just get the summer weather of GA and the winter weather of NY. Worst of both.

The absolute hottest Wx I can remember did resemble Ga. It lasted a week, and was quite unusual. No one commented about the hot Atlanta wx being unusual at all.

I spent five years in Cbus, OH. Many more hours shoveling snow than complaining of high temps. My first year there, the high temp was 88°, a fine spring afternoon. The TV weathermen count the number of 90° days each month . . . Where I'm from, the weathermen count the number of 100° days in a row, but nobody mentions anything until it's higher than 3 or 4.

So happy to be back South! Only scraped my windshield once in two winters, and that was just habit. Now I just hit the windshield washer fluid and it all goes away.

But I do miss the amazing climb rates on those cold morning. Nothing quite like taking off solo with half tanks when the temperature is 8°F. My wife stayed in bed that morning, snuggled in blankets. Didn't enjoy preflight though.

As for "crazy" weather, I haven't seen much, just more reporting of faraway weather events that we used to not hear about. There's not any more of it, there's just much much more reporting of it.

Well, winds sucked in north GA today. Took a friend flying, bounced around and then landed a bit stiff...nose tire popped! It's a go cart cart tire so I don't think it was rated for the blow I gave it. :(

We are getting our asses handed to us by a good ol gulf squall line as we speak.

Wicked. Nexrad shows it looks like we are right underneath training boomers.

Glad I'm down here wishing I was up there yada yada........

Back