Crazy web site price quotes

Warren Dunes

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Warren Dunes
Perhaps this post belongs in a humor thread. Or a mental health thread. While looking at aircraft sales ads online one said that it crawled the web and determined on average how much aircraft of different makes and models transacted for... A few examples:
Piper PA-38-112 Tomahawk $35,290
Cessna 150 $42,257
Piper PA-28-140 $ 68,160
Beech 77 Skipper $ 63,352
Cessna 152 $94,019
"They're coming to take me away,
Ha ha, they're coming to take me away,
Ho ho, hee hee, ha ha,"

Now that’s a damn map

Every time that I think that the market is stupid and is moments away from correcting itself, I am proven wrong. This keeps up and I will sell Peggy. For some reason, I am still haunted by the spring of 2008.

I can maybe explain the 152 differential, but not the others. Those numbers may be skewed due to a number of the AOPA 152 Reimagined aircraft. If you don't remember, those are 152's that have been thoroughly overhauled and are being marketed like new for $120k.

"Piper PA-28-140 $ 68,160"

smh

What were "normalized prices" for something like a PA-28-140? "Normalized" being what were prices before the market really started going crazy and driving prices up? There is probably a much better and more objective way to ask this question, but I am hoping the spirit of what I am asking is clear enough.

I really only started paying attention to the market (specifically, for a PA-28-180) in the last 18 months or so when I started working on my PPL and thought how convenient it would be to own instead of rent, but the sticker shock was real. I was relieved to learn shortly thereafter that I'm not alone in that sticker shock. From reading POA and speaking with others, I understand 2008/9 resulted in prices cratering and some folks bought great aircraft at a great price. Reasonable opinions and experiences will undoubtedly vary, but I'm just curious what "would be" normal but-for crazy swings in the market - if that's even possible to say.

I had my 182Q insured for $75,000 for several years, I just bumped it to $150,000! It’s crazy what stuff is selling for, cars, trucks, boats, houses and yes airplanes! With the high rate of inflation, I don’t see things going down until we have a crash of some sort. But, even if we get a 25% correction, that still puts most things worth more than 5 years ago.

I had my 182Q insured for $75,000 for several years, I just bumped it to $150,000! It’s crazy what stuff is selling for, cars, trucks, boats, houses and yes airplanes! With the high rate of inflation, I don’t see things going down until we have a crash of some sort. But, even if we get a 25% correction, that still puts most things worth more than 5 years ago.
It's certainly has me thinking about listing my Warrior for a nutty price, thinking we will get a mean reversion at some point. It's like housing circa 2006.

How are things at the Ford Dealership?

How are things at the Ford Dealership?
I sold out about 2 years too soon!! Those guys are killing it! Dealerships have never been so profitable!! But, who would have imagined a virus and free money and a chip shortage from DC causing this result??

It's certainly has me thinking about listing my Warrior for a nutty price, thinking we will get a mean reversion at some point. It's like housing circa 2006.
I do a little real estate and the prices aren’t the results of the “everybody gets a mortgage” policies of the 2000’s, pricing is being driven by demand and low mortgage rates.

Back