Crazy Weather!

Lawreston

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Harley Reich
With regrets that Washington State, Colorado, New Mexico, and others have been royally nailed with storms, it's just absolutely bizarre that on January 07 Maine grounds should look as in the first photo. It's Merrymeeting Airport, Bowdoinham. N4065V is the plane in which I began the journey. The runway's been closed for several months -- except on occasion -- because there's been no decent frost line. It may freeze over but within days it's back to being too soft. Photo #2 might appear to be three pilots, dejected because they can't fly.
They are pilot/owners, but they'd been looking at a house for sale across the road. It was 55° when I took these photos.

HR

Attachments

• Merrymeeting 010706.jpg
    Merrymeeting 010706.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 17
  • Merrymeeting Dejected Flyers 010706.jpg
    Merrymeeting Dejected Flyers 010706.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 16
And the annual ski plane flyin at Oshkosh is scheduled for the 27th of this month. Methinks I might be able to take a wheeled airplane up instead! I don't think they have any more snow than you or I!

I don't think they have any more snow than you or I!

Grant, I can vouch for that. Lake Winnebago is mostly open water and the ground around here is all mushy. The last time I flew in the daytime I saw standing water everywhere. Right now there is a dusting of snow on top of the slop. Normally by now the ground is at least frozen. The skiplane fly-in has had a streak of bad luck with weather it seems. Last time I went was 2002, and there was actually snow then.

If the ground is still this soft with no snow by January 27th, I imagine the only way in will be through KOSH and the free shuttle (or driving). It is supposed to stay colder for a while now. I hope we get a little snow to please the skiplane pilots. :fcross:

Ice storms are an amazing phenomenon. I grew up in a construction company that builds power lines, and worked on a few storm jobs where miles of line came down because of ice. It's really a domino effect; the ice builds up on the lines and poles until designed load limitss are exceeded. The weakest structure comes down, and the added load brings all the rest down - usually for miles.

We got the first snow flurry of the season today here in the Philadelphia area. It's very late.

Back