Crazy Passenger...

Well, I don't know what the situation was in this case but there was a flight that I took from Atlanta to Detroit and when we landed in Detroit there were no gates available and we sat on a Taxiway for more than 3 hours. The crew had to shut down the engines so we had no ventilation. The crew also did there very best to completely ignore the passengers. I can tell you that I was pretty upset.

There was another time when passengers were stuck on board and aircraft for more than 12 hours at Detroit Metro Airport. There were law suits filed against the airline in that instance. I can't imagine any reason for keeping people on an aircraft against their will for such a long period of time. Especially without proper ventilation. There has to be a better way to handle something like that.

One of the many reason why I hate to fly commercial.

Jeannie

While I think it was pretty pathetic to leave passengers stuck onboard for longer than an hour or so, how this guy went about it probably got him banned from any future DAL flights.

I won't blame the pilots for what is forced upon them by the company. But, I'd certainly praise if they stood up to the airline for the health and benefit of the passengers.

While I think it was pretty pathetic to leave passengers stuck onboard for longer than an hour or so, how this guy went about it probably got him banned from any future DAL flights.

I won't blame the pilots for what is forced upon them by the company. But, I'd certainly praise if they stood up to the airline for the health and benefit of the passengers.

I wouldn't be surprised if it got him on a Homeland Security watch list either.

Jeannie

Ummm...I HATE being stuck on a plane, and I think that the airlines should suffer when they do that....but talk about a pompous ass.

I am SURE the crew just enjoyed being stuck in the plane just like everyone else....I mean WOOOHHEEEEE they do not get to fly, they just sit there.

What a jerk! If I was the pilot, I would have shut the door and ignored him!

Perfect. You're qualified for a management position with any of the major airlines in the US.

If he's lucky.

Now there's some good customer service. :rolleyes:

If someone stands there talking to me like that, video taping my answers so he can get a quick sound bit on the news and advertising for his camerea device, I'm certianly not gonna sit there. The guy was obviously looking to start something.

If someone would be civil and want to discuss the situation, that is different.

The guy was mad and he handled the situation like a child.

I realize the airlines sticking them out on the ramp in a hot plane is totally uncalled for and the airlines should should pay the price for that, but this guy handled the situation wrong, yelling at the wrong guy, and then video taping it for some YouTube fame.

What a dick.

What a dick.

Spike, my friend;

I assume you're talking about the pilot?

Stick me on an airplane for hours and hours with no environmentals with people getting sick and throwing up and you can bet I'll be in your face. There is absolutely no excuse for treating customers this way. No excuse at all.

If this guy hadn't caused a scene and the crew hadn't called the police to come get him, there's no telling how long they would have sweltered in that airplane. When the NYPD arrived, "they assessed what was happening and made a very quick decision and people were taken off of the plane." Duh.

So yea, David might have acted like a dick, but the Captain was a limp dick for not doing his job and taking care of his passengers.

http://wcbstv.com/seenon/local_story_178132024.html

nav6.gif

http://wcbstv.com/seenon/local_story_178132024.html said:
Ollila was arrested and later released, and no charges were filed.

No sound so I couldn't listen to the video, but seeing that he wasn't charged makes me think the Airline was in the wrong and the pilot should have doen something.

Missa

He didn't break any law or FAR. Did he violate Comair/DL policy? Dunno, though I'd suspect that the "all electronics must be turned off" might well have been suspended due to the delay.

This may not have been the best way to handle the situation, but it's a darn sight better than having someone pop the emergency exit (which has happened before). And it did get results.

The more likely outcome is that Delta will just simply ban video and pictures of crewmembers - American already does: Photography or video recording of airline personnel, equipment, or procedures is strictly prohibited. http://www.aa.com/content/travelInformation/duringFlight/onboardTechnology.jhtml

Thus it will be violation of Delta policy next time it happens, and at that point they can probably remove him forever.

I am SURE the crew just enjoyed being stuck in the plane just like everyone else....I mean WOOOHHEEEEE they do not get to fly, they just sit there.

Actually some crews do enjoy this. They get paid starting from the time the plane leaves one gate until it docks at the next whether the plane is in the air or not. I've heard of some pilots pushing back well in advance of any plausible departure time for this exact reason.

Actually some crews do enjoy this. They get paid starting from the time the plane leaves one gate until it docks at the next whether the plane is in the air or not. I've heard of some pilots pushing back well in advance of any plausible departure time for this exact reason.
Some do get paid from OUT (push back) to IN (arrival) but most actually get paid from OFF (takeoff) to ON (landing) - so the pilots don't make any bucks while enduring the delays - though they do rack up duty time and loggable time.

What defines duty time versus paid time versus flight time is always a big deal in pilot contracts.

Listen to the guy. While he's upset, he's within his rights. We need more people like this to have the guts to stand up to the airlines and tell them NO MORE.

edit: Hopefully this gets the attention needed so that airlines fix the problem, rather than hiding behind "Well, you don't fully understand."

edit2: BTW, I thought the big argument in cases like these (the part that us laymen don't understand) is that there's simply no way to get the people off the planes, because you see, that gate may not be owned by this airline...yadda yadda yadda.

Somehow, the police got them off.....hmmm, wonder how that was possible?

Last edited:
Well, I don't know what the situation was in this case but there was a flight that I took from Atlanta to Detroit and when we landed in Detroit there were no gates available and we sat on a Taxiway for more than 3 hours. The crew had to shut down the engines so we had no ventilation. The crew also did there very best to completely ignore the passengers. I can tell you that I was pretty upset.

There was another time when passengers were stuck on board and aircraft for more than 12 hours at Detroit Metro Airport. There were law suits filed against the airline in that instance. I can't imagine any reason for keeping people on an aircraft against their will for such a long period of time. Especially without proper ventilation. There has to be a better way to handle something like that.

One of the many reason why I hate to fly commercial.

Jeannie
Note to self: stay away from Detroit.

Back