CRAZEDPilot ANR Headset Pirep?

MBDiagMan

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Doc
These headsets are pretty darn cheap. Anybody ever try one?

I can get an ANR kit for my Dave Clark’s for $169 or one of these headsets less than $30 more than that.

My experience has been when something looks too good to be true it probably is. In this case, however, Bose and Lightspeed are so ridiculously expensive, it appears that there is opportunity for money to made on a decent alternative.

It will not at all compare to the high end ANR headsets.
If you buy the headsets inc kit for a David Clark I think you will be much better. The headsets ink kit has a very good reputation but again it will not compare to a Lightspeed or Bose.
I can sell you a like new Lightspeed or Bose at a great discount vs new if interested.
You are correct in the price looks too good to be true. You get what you pay for.

Technically the Lightspeed and Bose both have much worse passive noise cancelation than an ANR converted DC headclamp.

Problem is, you can’t do a four hour day in DCs or longer without them hurting somewhere. Especially if you wear glasses and even if you get the pads or run the glasses bows through.

How much for a used Lightspeed or Bose. Do you throw in a pint of Blue Bell?

The cheapest headsets I have in those brands are $565 each. For that price you can choose the Zulu or the Bose X. The Zulu had bluetooth and the Bose X does not.
Free Shipping...
If you fly to Brenham I will treat you to a ice cream :) You can eat it while I give you a Breezy ride :)

Several on VAF have reported very good results and happy with the conversion. I too doubt they would compare with Bose, etc, but, for the price, very good. I plan to modify my spare/pax headset with this vs spending $$$$ on another set of A20s that will mostly ride in the baggage compartment.

I did a headsets inc conversion on a pair of AVCOMMs. I can't compare to Bose or Lightspeed since I have no experience with them. Other than the mic seems to be weak now, they've worked quite well (until I caught the cable in something and apparently broke the mic wire. Need to fix that.) Took about 2 hours to do as I was quite deliberate about the process. IMG_1496.jpgIMG_1497.jpgIMG_1501.jpgIMG_1508.jpgIMG_1514.jpgIMG_1517.jpgIMG_1518.jpgIMG_1520.jpgIMG_1521.jpgIMG_1522.jpg

The cheapest headsets I have in those brands are $565 each. For that price you can choose the Zulu or the Bose X. The Zulu had bluetooth and the Bose X does not.
Free Shipping...
If you fly to Brenham I will treat you to a ice cream :) You can eat it while I give you a Breezy ride :)

New vs used. Not a fair fight.

Not that I wouldn’t buy from you in a heartbeat, but I can find old DC cans to upgrade for next to nothing. Technically I can find two to four of them in my hangar. Haha.

But I wouldn’t upgrade them. They’re backups and passenger headsets.

I have a HInc conversion to my DC H10-40, done about 16 (?) years ago. Very impressed with the performance. The HInc operates on an analog principal rather than a digital principle like everyone else. From what I know about ANC theory, analog is probably better for rejecting random noise (like aerodynamic/rushing noise), digital is better for rejecting cyclic (exhaust and propeller) noise, but I find that both types of disturbances are more than adequately reduced. I see from the pictures that the electronic components are now newer.

I've tried to find someone who has compared the HInc vs the digital ones but been unsuccessful. I'm not sure which one to theoretically expect to be better, but the HInc unit is very effective.

I carefully looked at your workbench and tool setup for the conversion and noticed you're missing a hammer.

I have a passive headset from them for if I have a passenger in the back. Worked well and was comfortable for the 5 mins I had it on.

I'm a big fan of the Headsets Inc. ANR kits. I have two David Clark H10-13.4 passive headsets I converted for use in my 172 and now have them in the Zodiac, and have done several conversions for friends as well. I've never had the 'head vise' issues others complain about with David Clark headsets even on long cross-country flights (CA to FL and back several times).

Back