Crash This Morning at Spruce Creek - 2 Rescued

FlyingElvii

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
flyingElvii
Been a rough year for the Creek, it seems:

Two people were rescued Friday morning after their plane crashed into a wooded area shortly after take-off from Spruce Creek Fly-In near Port Orange.

The crash was reported to the Sheriff’s Office around 6:40 a.m. near the 2600 block of Bravo V Circle. One of the 911 callers reported the plane was upside down with its wings stripped off. “He’s moving – he answered me – I’m going to go out to the road so I can direct the responders,” the caller told a VCSO dispatcher as he ran. “Tell them to come to my house and I’ll get them out into the swamp.”

The victims, 65-year-old Alan Kanabay and 64-year-old Wendy Kanabay, both of Illinois, were pulled from the downed aircraft soon after first responders arrived – Alan Kanabay at about 7:18 a.m. and Wendy Kanabay at about 7:45 a.m. They were transported to Halifax Health Medical Center in Daytona Beach, where they were listed in stable condition later Friday morning.

The Federal Aviation Administration responded to investigate and determine the cause of the crash.

https://www.facebook.com/VolusiaSheriff/posts/1352084928164039

Spruce Creek is a nice place but I don't like to fly in and out of there. There's nothing but woods for quite a ways as you take off to the west.

John

Spruce Creek is a nice place but I don't like to fly in and out of there. There's nothing but woods for quite a ways as you take off to the west.

John

You must not like to fly out of a lot of airports then......

You must not like to fly out of a lot of airports then......

I fly in and out of quite a few in Florida. (I have not yet had the opportunity to land anywhere else.) But Spruce Creek is just trees for a long way while you're low. Made me uncomfortable. Shrug.

I have to agree. You have to stay LOW to avoid the shelf, and the departure procedures take you out over the swamps. You have to be on your game there.
There are margins, but not big ones.
But I don't see it as much different than any other airport in a built-up area.

Sounds like it was a Cirrus SR20

WESH TV Update:

Officials now say plane that crashed @sprucecreek fly in #portorange was cirrus SR20 w parachute that deployed. 2 aboard seriously injured

I was hoping it was part of the Swearingen mafia they have there. Those guys think they're the Thunderbirds or something. Probably have epaulets and shoulder boards on their bath robes !

I was hoping it was part of the Swearingen mafia they have there. Those guys think they're the Thunderbirds or something. Probably have epaulets and shoulder boards on their bath robes !
I know and am good friends with several of the Swearingen pilots who fly out of there. Those I know don't wear epaulets, aren't mafia, and are good guys and good pilots. There are any number of ex-airline and ex-military pilots at airports all over who still wear their epaulets. Of course, I wish I could afford a Swearingen. :) Where are my shoulder boards, honey? I want to impress someone.

I think these are the guys you are refering to. They are all top notch pilots that I would certainly aspire to be like when I'm in my mid-70s.

I know and am good friends with several of the Swearingen pilots who fly out of there. Those I know don't wear epaulets, aren't mafia, and are good guys and good pilots. There are any number of ex-airline and ex-military pilots at airports all over who still wear their epaulets. Of course, I wish I could afford a Swearingen. :) Where are my shoulder boards, honey? I want to impress someone.

Try just TRY and get a word in edgewise on the CTAF when they're doing their precious comm check ! You'll get yelled at like you just shot the Pope ! Those douchebags can kiss my you know what !

Well, it's obvious you do feel strongly about them if you wish they'd crash. I guess I hope they don't.

Back