Crash position in GA aircraft?

SixPapaCharlie

May the force be with you
Display Name

Display name:
Sixer
I was never given any sort of advice w/ regard to crash positions / bracing in the event of an emergency in a GA aircraft. I am a masochist so I am watching this plane crash compilation and I notice int he last one, the student(I'm guessing) pilot has some sort of pad and is protecting his head.

It got me to thinking. If I am flying and the engine quits and I have to put it down in a field w/ trees or whatnot, do I advise the pax to put their head in their laps or to the 4 point harnesses negate that?

This was just something I never covered. What is the protocol?

For the curious, here is the video. I believe only 1 was fatal (Stall in the hills) so nothing too graphic.

Very helpful, thanks. Of those, the cushion over the yoke and the Israeli CFI reminding the student to protect his head are my favorites. This one (no injuries) in deep Utah snow might be a good addition - the four-point harnesses performed way better than the pilot.

You posted on another thread about DTO being spooky dark at night - the audio of a short final crash there last year still haunts me.

Very helpful, thanks. Of those, the cushion over the yoke and the Israeli CFI reminding the student to protect his head are my favorites. This one (no injuries) in deep Utah snow might be a good addition - the four-point harnesses performed way better than the pilot.

You posted on another thread about DTO being spooky dark at night - the audio of a short final crash there last year still haunts me.

I believe that was a Sierra that lost oil pressure.
Dad and daughter survived. Wife passed.
After that one, I stopped flying at night until I started flying the Cirrus.
I am still pretty hesitant to fly at night. That was the first crash after getting my cert where I realized there was nothing that guy could have done.

I watched a video that looked like it was from the 70s that said to place a coat or something between the yoke and your chest....

The video didn't work for me..??
Not too much you can on a small cockpit other than cushion your face and chest.

Bryan, night flying is fun, and easy peasy at DTO... Always willing to right seat with ya when you want to go practice.

Brian, just copy me and bring a helmet.

I seem to recall that the procedure is to pull the lap belts and shoulder straps tight.

Crash position described for air carriers may be due to the lack of shoulder straps.

Crash position described for air carriers may be due to the lack of shoulder straps.
Have you experimented with the crash position shown on emergency cards in airliners? I can do it, barely, but I'm small and still flexible. I doubt a larger person would have enough room to get their head down that far, unless they were in first or business. I also had the impression that you would snap your neck upon impact with the seat in front of you.

Have you experimented with the crash position shown on emergency cards in airliners? I can do it, barely, but I'm small and still flexible. I doubt a larger person would have enough room to get their head down that far, unless they were in first or business. I also had the impression that you would snap your neck upon impact with the seat in front of you.

I think you're right about not being able to do what the card says. I'm not just "slender" I'm SKINNY. But at 6 ft tall I can't lean that far forward without hitting the seat back in coach. I rarely fly coach these days, but I'm not even sure I can do it in First on a Super-80. I'll try it out Friday afternoon.

This is from a Beechcraft Emergency Briefing document (not really sure it's an official document from Beech though)

Beechcraft_Emergency_Briefing.png

483.png

28700.jpg

I would have my passenger pull out his seatback upholstery (held to the frame with Velcro), re-cinch the 5-point belt and put the upholstery in front of his face before impact. RVs tend to flip in the water, so the biggest thing if you're still conscious is getting your orientation/keeping calm after that rather brutal 180. Might have to wait for water pressure to equalize before opening the canopy.

I'll go to Catalina, but I'll be 8500' mid channel so I can glide back to shore!!

"Brace, brace, brace..."

Bryan, isn't this the approved crash position in a Cirrus?

3731.PIC-2.jpg

Or is that just the "normal" landing position?

Aren't four point harnesses about the best you can have? I mean the best protection in a forced landing?
In that "Thinking Pilots Flight Manual" (which is pretty interesting to me) he mentioned several times that there is nothing better you can do than install them if you don't have them in your plane. Also I beleive he says all cessnas and most other have already the mount points and it is the best single investment you can make for safety. Claims it takes about ten or so minutes to install.

Myth busters tested it and found that it is indeed much safer to assume the position on the cards. There was a substantial reduction in injury probability compared to some other positions they tried (which I don't recall).

Last edited:
When they designed the Aeronca C2 back in the thirties they already had it all figured out then some clown decided we needed a windshield up there to see where we were going lol

project-aeronca-c2-img1.jpg

You have me worried, that your asking this kind of question before our 12 hour cross country? lol

If I know I'm going to crash I know what position I'll take. I'll bend over and kiss my ass goodbye...

I have considered keeping a bicycle helmet in the plane and wearing it on take off and landing.

Aren't four point harnesses about the best you can have? I mean the best protection in a forced landing?
In that "Thinking Pilots Flight Manual" (which is pretty interesting to me) he mentioned several times that there is nothing better you can do than install them if you don't have them in your plane. Also I beleive he says all cessnas and most other have already the mount points and it is the best single investment you can make for safety. Claims it takes about ten or so minutes to install.

I'm taking your post as a serious one:

I'm all about 5-point harnesses in the crew positions, and 4-point in the other rows.
I talk to people with the "harness is just the difference between and open casket and a closed casket" and I think they are full of stuff.

In my high risk flying I wear a helmet and use 5 point harness. I really like flying the ones with airbags in the shoulder straps. After two engine failures at low altitude I don't take anything for granted.

A ballistic chute changes everything.

I think you are supposed to sit upright, with hands folded on lap. That's because impact will be vertical, when descending by chute. The upright position helps the spine, I suppose.

In my high risk flying I wear a helmet and use 5 point harness. I really like flying the ones with airbags in the shoulder straps. After two engine failures at low altitude I don't take anything for granted.

Will your helmet protect the facial area, or is it open?

I'm taking your post as a serious one:

I'm all about 5-point harnesses in the crew positions, and 4-point in the other rows.
I talk to people with the "harness is just the difference between and open casket and a closed casket" and I think they are full of stuff.

I was in being straight forward, it wasn't sarcasm. I was mainly thinking of GA aircraft here. I don't know what a five point harness is. It makes sense to me that it is better than an over shoulder harness. Thanks for the confirmation.

I was in being straight forward, it wasn't sarcasm. I was mainly thinking of GA aircraft here. I don't know what a five point harness is. It makes sense to me that it is better than an over shoulder harness. Thanks for the confirmation.
This is not in an airplane but you get the idea.

rollcage004.jpg

It's a helicopter helmet with an integral flip down sun visor. The crash shell rides low enough on my forehead I can barely see it in the upper limit of my vision.

Hope that answers your question

Yeah. I figured there must be some sort of facial protection. Thanks.

Back