Crash kills 4 near West Houston

There have been cases of Bonanza fatal crashes after a door pops open, and the only effect of an open door is loud, and windy. Plane flies fine, but distraction can kill, and does so regularly.

So sad for this loss.

Mine popped open once on departure from Catalina. No way was I going to fly to the mainland with it like that. So I had to make the USS Catalina approach with the added distraction of all that noise. I check my doors veeery carefully now.

The passenger door on the Warrior popped open just after the wheels left the groung. The person in the right seat nearly flipped out. As calmly as possible I reminded her she was belted in and would not fall out. I then radioed the tower for a return to land. Totally uneventful and no shorts had to be cleaned.
I learned it wasn't an issue when my instructor oh so many years ago deliberately let the door pop open on a night flight leaving Plymouth Ma. All I lost was a nearly new sectional. Chris never did replace that sectional.

The passenger door on the Warrior popped open just after the wheels left the groung. The person in the right seat nearly flipped out. As calmly as possible I reminded her she was belted in and would not fall out. I then radioed the tower for a return to land. Totally uneventful and no shorts had to be cleaned.
I learned it wasn't an issue when my instructor oh so many years ago deliberately let the door pop open on a night flight leaving Plymouth Ma. All I lost was a nearly new sectional. Chris never did replace that sectional.
2nd or 3rd time my 7yr old was in my 140 the passenger wasn't latched taking off from FFA.. Couldn't open the door if I wanted to so just turned back around and put it on the ground. Won't make that mistake again!

2nd or 3rd time my 7yr old was in my 140 the passenger wasn't latched taking off from FFA.. Couldn't open the door if I wanted to so just turned back around and put it on the ground. Won't make that mistake again!
If by 140 you mean Cherokee 140, there's a technique for that. I've tried it, and it works: slow up to about 65 knots, and it is easy to both open, and slam shut.

Back