Crash in Greenville, Texas

TexasAviation

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
TexasAviation
So this happened yesterday in my neck of the woods:

http://www.heraldbanner.com/topnews...ine-plane-crashes-near-Greenville-High-School

Thank goodness no one was hurt!

I thought it was curious that the pilot and passenger didn't want to be identified. The FAA report will make their names public at some point, right?

And, of all the days this could have occurred, it just happened to be at the same time as the local Boy Scout aviation day at the Greenville airport. This morning, as all the Scouts were gearing up to fly, I could just imagine their moms' reactions when they saw the front page of the local paper! :)

That's a bummer especially during scout aviation day! Glad no one was hurt

Looks like the safety "egg" held up well. And they didn't use the chute...

I wonder how he ended up flipping over with such a seemingly flat surface to put it down on? Guess it hit a hole or something.

We've heard from the pilot... both he and his wife are fine!... except for bumps, scrapes, and a bit of whiplash. The engine seized (1600+ hours) over Greenville. They were set to glide into Greenville airport but were thwarted by headwinds. They elected to not pull the 'chute because of the populated area and the appearance of the sports park with fields. Everything would have been fine, except for a ditch and berms in the middle of the field they landed in.
Great Flying and ADM Jeffrey!

Last edited:
Thank god no injuries and everyone is safe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like the airplane held up well ,considering it flipped over. Sounds like the pilot was in control,and worrying about the people on the ground. Good job.

Decidedly a very small sample, but...

I don't think anyone on the ground has ever been killed, or even injured, by a plane coming down under BRS*.

But people have been killed by pilots dead-sticking a landing.

One case that made an impression on me:

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/35896336/ns/us_news-life/t/plane-kills-beach-jogger-emergency-landing/

Though a heavy object descending vertically under canopy certainly has the potential to injure or kill, in reality most on the ground hear the "BANG" of the rocket being deployed, and often even have time to film the descent. Certainly time in most cases to get out of the way.

*If I'm wrong on that, I'd like to be corrected.

Last edited:
Glad it worked out well for the occupants...:)..

The second pic in that article showing 10 police officers standing around looking at the wreckage is priceless...... ;)

I think its great that the pilot and pax didn't give the "news" media any fodder with which to make sensationalist headlines. It's my observation that most people can't resist the urge to talk talk talk to the camera pointed at them, as if it is compulsory.

Back