Crash in Bolingbrook

There has been at least one death by post impact fire in a Diamond so I disagree that preventing them is a simple engineering issue. The odds can be reduced but not taken to zero.
When/where? The only post-impact fire I'm aware of in a DA40 was not anywhere close to survivable.
I don't know of a fatal post crash fire in a survivable DA40 accident. Can anybody give a link to the accident report (if it even exists)?

I don't know of a fatal post crash fire in a survivable DA40 accident. Can anybody give a link to the accident report (if it even exists)?

The only Diamond one I know of was a DA20. The factual report is here.

From the report:

The student sustained serious thermal injuries during the accident, but was able to give a recorded
statement on October 8, 2005, to safety personnel from the Air Force Safety Center (AFSC). On
January 10, 2006, the student succumbed to the accident injuries.

The only Diamond one I know of was a DA20. The factual report is here.

From the report:

The student sustained serious thermal injuries during the accident, but was able to give a recorded
statement on October 8, 2005, to safety personnel from the Air Force Safety Center (AFSC). On
January 10, 2006, the student succumbed to the accident injuries.
The problem with the DA20 is that the fuel tank is behind the cockpit.

The correct statistic is "%of the fleet that had an otherwise surviveable death due to post crash fire"

Every time there is one of these, the partisans come out. I've already posted the 223 case review of every cirrus accident. Now someone do that for MOONEY. C'mon, step up and to the work.

None of this "5 year" limitation. Actually read all the reports and put em' out there. I have.

And how many of those resulted in a death that was otherwise survivable? I've given you real numbers for various aircraft but you ignore them. If you want I will give you the links to the 206 fires as an example. However, I doubt that will change your mind.

A picture--well actually numerous pictures like those in this thread--are worth well in excess of a thousand words. Don't go to any trouble producing reports.

And how many of those resulted in a death that was otherwise survivable? I've given you real numbers for various aircraft but you ignore them. If you want I will give you the links to the 206 fires as an example. However, I doubt that will change your mind.

Yup, you're right... and Kent asked about the DA40, my bad.

Yeah, completely different fuel system design. The DA40's is about as good as it could possibly get. I don't particularly like the DA20 with its tank pretty much in the cockpit.

NTSB posted a preliminary report today.
http://www.ntsb.gov/aviationquery/brief.aspx?ev_id=20130925X23112&key=1

NTSB Identification: CEN13FA558
14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Wednesday, September 25, 2013 in Bolingbrook, IL
Aircraft: CIRRUS DESIGN CORP SR20, registration: N406DC
Injuries: 2 Fatal.

This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may contain errors. Any errors in this report will be corrected when the final report has been completed. NTSB investigators either traveled in support of this investigation or conducted a significant amount of investigative work without any travel, and used data obtained from various sources to prepare this aircraft accident report.​

On September 25, 2013, about 1715 central daylight time, a Cirrus SR20 airplane, N406DC, impacted terrain after executing a go-around near Bolingbrook’s Clow International Airport, (1C5), Bolingbrook, Illinois. The pilot and one passenger were fatally injured. The airplane was destroyed. The airplane was registered to GDK International LLC and operated by a private individual under the provisions of 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91 as a personal flight. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed for the flight, which operated without a flight plan. The flight originated from Georgetown Scott County Airport (27K), Georgetown, Kentucky about 1500 and was destined for 1C5.

The airplane was captured on 1C5 airport surveillance cameras while attempting to land. A review of the video showed that the airplane touched down multiple times about half way down the runway. The airplane was observed making a left turn after takeoff, descending, and then proceeding out of camera view.

Witnesses reported seeing the airplane depart the runway and make a left turn at a low altitude. The airplane continued to descend, struck a tree and a light pole before impacting a parking lot and sidewalk. A post impact fire ensued and consumed most of the airplane.

The automated weather reporting station at Lewis University Airport which was 5 miles south of the accident site reported at 1715: wind from 070 degrees at 8 knots, 10 miles visibility, clear sky, temperature 21 degrees Celsius (C), dew point 9 degrees C, and a barometric pressure 29.94 inches of mercury.

During the on-scene examination investigators confirmed flight control continuity and that the flaps were in the retracted position. The Cirrus Airframe Parachute System (CAPS) rocket and parachute were found in the main wreckage. The position of the CAPS activation handle could not be verified due to thermal damage. The parachute was found in a packed state and received thermal damage. The CAPS activation cable was examined and no stretching was found.

The airframe and engine were retained for further examination.

Back