Crash caugth on camera.

That one always freaked me out.

Isn't that the one where the student was under foggles,
The commercial pilots were informed of traffic and they either didn't see it or saw the wrong one?

Co-pilots last words on the recorder "Lova ya Ma"

I think that's the one. yuck.

Isn't that the one where the student was under foggles,
The commercial pilots were informed of traffic and they either didn't see it or saw the wrong one?
The 172 was doing IR training with a CFII. The 727 originally called the traffic in sight, but lost it after they turned and didn't inform ATC that they no longer had the traffic visually. The 172 turned to an incorrect heading (from what ATC assigned) and ATC failed to notice it or issue any further advisories to either airplane.

One of the more disturbing tidbits is that if you take the silhoutte photo of the 727 nose-diving toward the ground and rotate it 90 degrees to the left, you get the Gibbs Flying Service logo. That was old man Gibbs' response to the lawsuits that followed and his closing the flight school (the 172 was from Gibbs' fleet).

I should have never posted this.

Tony

I would guess a good chunk of us have studied just about every published accident video / report in an effort to learn what went right and wrong.

I spend a lot of evenings during PPL training on airdisaster.com reading about crashes, causes, aftermath, what was learned and even listening to the ATC recordings.

The thing I most noticed about these recordings as difficult as they are to hear, is how professional the pilots are even when they are aware of what is happening. Sort of drives home the point of "Fly the plane"

I am sorry for the poster that knew a passenger. Aside from that, I think these are important to study to some extent. I don't think posting it here was a bad idea.

One of the more disturbing tidbits is that if you take the silhoutte photo of the 727 nose-diving toward the ground and rotate it 90 degrees to the left, you get the Gibbs Flying Service logo. That was old man Gibbs' response to the lawsuits that followed and his closing the flight school (the 172 was from Gibbs' fleet).

Yikes. Found what you are talking about on google.
Pretty tasteless IMO

Yes I do agree, I also read all the NTSB reports I can. I do this before I purchase an airplane I might be looking at. I also do this to learn of what happened and hope not to repeat it.

When I had my catastrophic failure while flying this is one thing a few people said to me. You were so calm over the radio.

I told them that there was no time to be any thing but. I was busy. It was not until i landed and was safe on the ground it all sunk in what had happened.

Now if I would have been aboard either of those two airplanes I would have been FREAKING out I am afraid.

When I had my failure I was still flying, all I did was loose the reduction unit and prop.

Tony

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back