Crash at south Lakeland x49.

Theboys

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Theboys
A world war 2 fighter pilot flying his cessna 170 collided on final with a skydiver today. I don't know a bunch.They were down on the runway.

Last edited:
A world war 2 fighter pilot flying his cessna 170 collided on final with a skydiver today. I don't know a bunch but the skydiver went thru the windscreen apparently. They were down on the runway. 2 fatalities. Sad thing.

Yow, not fun. Sounds like the skydiver was off target.

Henning, don't know if you are in area or not. Was a beautiful day with 2 local poker runs,(60 or so planes) the strawberry festival with all the people who want to fly over, model aircraft flyin at sun n fun campus, everybody flying and obviously skydivers. Was crazy busy.

Henning, don't know if you are in area or not. Was a beautiful day with 2 local poker runs,(60 or so planes) the strawberry festival with all the people who want to fly over, model aircraft flyin at sun n fun campus, everybody flying and obviously skydivers. Was crazy busy.

No, I'm in South Florida, sounds like a fun day except this event.

Okay a update. I was hearing this second hand. Channel 9 news has footage of the crash. Actually the plane caught the diver with wing on strings. Unbelievable pics. Threw the skydiver up and then to the ground. Transported both to hospital and skydiver was treated and released. Pilot held for observation but not seriously hurt. Wish I knew how to add the link. Plane is trashed though.

Wow, 'ground looped' it in the air around around the parachute.

I am guessing he was dong the TnG in that grass field rather than at lakeland. That road they reference appears to be 3 miles away from the runway.

Given how close these shots are to one another in time, I suspect these are screen caps from a video. I guess someone might have been shooting their friend landing in burst mode but I bet there is a video of this somewhere.

There is generally little sky diving at South Lakeland.

I wonder where the guy jumped. He certainly shouldn't have been landing on an active runway.

The airport is several miles south of Lakeland Linder, Sun-n-Fun and I can't imagine enough wind to send him that far off course.

Glad they survived with relatively little injury. Could have been awful. Just awful.

There is generally little sky diving at South Lakeland.

I wonder where the guy jumped. He certainly shouldn't have been landing on an active runway.

The airport is several miles south of Lakeland Linder, Sun-n-Fun and I can't imagine enough wind to send him that far off course.

Glad they survived with relatively little injury. Could have been awful. Just awful.

Plane was landing in the grass, jumper was likely where he was supposed to be.

Given how close these shots are to one another in time, I suspect these are screen caps from a video. I guess someone might have been shooting their friend landing in burst mode but I bet there is a video of this somewhere.

No, even a slow motor drive for any decent consumer grade DSLR will achieve that tight of a series. I used to shoot a roll of 38 on a 5 second quarter mile pass. Video frame catches don't look like that in my experience, but then technology gets better daily.

Why wouldn't you just say 'the planes right wing'?

I would say starboard. 'Right wing' is ambiguous in that it begs to ask "looking back from in front of the prop or looking forward from behind as when flying?"

Meh. If I tell you my cars right front tire is flat we all know which tire that is. Same with a plane. Everybody knows where the right wing is...and if they don't then, well...not all the baby turtles make it to the ocean and that's okay.

He rear ended another flying machine he is a blind idiot.

Plane was landing in the grass, jumper was likely where he was supposed to be.

He rear ended another flying machine he is a blind idiot.

Really? Admittedly, I've never skydived but a buddy sent me this commentary along with a video link and local news story:

"Having spent many weekends perfecting the art of gracefully falling toward the earth from 13,000+ ft, I saw this and was reminded of my instructor's rather sound advice: "stay out of the pattern and don't overfly a runway if you're below 1000 ft." Looking at the airport on Google maps, it doesn't look to be much more than a strip of grass with a few hangars at one end. I'm not sure the jumper had many options aside from landing on the runway. Thankfully everyone is okay."

Besides, no one was "rear ended". The skydiver was landing 90 degrees to the runway CL. He should have seen the plane also.

No, even a slow motor drive for any decent consumer grade DSLR will achieve that tight of a series. I used to shoot a roll of 38 on a 5 second quarter mile pass. Video frame catches don't look like that in my experience, but then technology gets better daily.

True but if your buddy was skydiving and you were on the ground would you film or snap?

I am torn. We live in 2014 where everyone has a video camera on their phones. So I would guess in this scenario, this would be film. Only thing is the quality looks like that of a DSLR.

I am leaning toward video due to the scenario "Film my landing dude!"

Meh. If I tell you my cars right front tire is flat we all know which tire that is. Same with a plane. Everybody knows where the right wing is...and if they don't then, well...not all the baby turtles make it to the ocean and that's okay.

found my new signature.
Thank you sir

A. Skydiver had the 'right of way' over the powered aircraft.

B. Do not ever INSIST on forcing your right of way privileges.

C. Was a nice 170.

D. Damn meat Popsicles.

E. Looks like only bent metal and some stained underwear so at least there is that.

Unbelievable no one was hurt bad.

I'd say that's a testament to a 170 being pretty tough, and I'll bet a dollar pilot had BAS shoulder's or some other aftermarket shoulder belts in there.

He should have had that A.D. free inertia reel on the seat no? I did it. I hope it contributed to the crash-worthiness.

Last edited:
He flew his airplane into something. Time for him to hang it up. If he hit a tower or wire you guys would still be making excuses for him. That was a big slow parachute, be like running over a giant colorful baby stroller with your car. Crap job airplane flying.
Really? Admittedly, I've never skydived but a buddy sent me this commentary along with a video link and local news story:

"Having spent many weekends perfecting the art of gracefully falling toward the earth from 13,000+ ft, I saw this and was reminded of my instructor's rather sound advice: "stay out of the pattern and don't overfly a runway if you're below 1000 ft." Looking at the airport on Google maps, it doesn't look to be much more than a strip of grass with a few hangars at one end. I'm not sure the jumper had many options aside from landing on the runway. Thankfully everyone is okay."

Besides, no one was "rear ended". The skydiver was landing 90 degrees to the runway CL. He should have seen the plane also.

Unbelievable no one was hurt bad.

I'd say that's a testament to a 170 being pretty tough, and I'll bet a dollar pilot had BAS shoulder's or some other aftermarket shoulder belts in there.

He should have had that A.D. free inertia reel on the seat no? I did it. I hope it contributed to the crash-worthiness.

Says a lot about the energy absorbing properties of a parachute, after that whole skydive, the dude only fell with the energy of a few feet, the plane lost most all its energy there as well.

He flew his airplane into something. Time for him to hang it up. If he hit a tower or wire you guys would still be making excuses for him. That was a big slow parachute, be like running over a giant colorful baby stroller with your car. Crap job airplane flying.

Hard to tell if you're being facetious.

I can easily imagine his view of the chute being blocked or coming in from the side out of his peripheral vision. Or from above and being blocked by the high wing.

And when he did see it, there's both inertia and delay time to consider - things to do not happen instantaneously in an airplane, no matter how much we wish it so.

Our heads should always be "on a swivel", but in real life its not always so.

And its just SO easy to criticize. :rolleyes2:

This is one where I would have loved to have a GoPro video from the cockpit to analyze.

If you fly into something it is your fault. That parachute flies at 15 maybe 20 mph. Like running down children in a crosswalk. So much for tailwheel pilots being better.
Hard to tell if you're being facetious.

I can easily imagine his view of the chute being blocked or coming in from the side out of his peripheral vision. Or from above and being blocked by the high wing.

And when he did see it, there's both inertia and delay time to consider - things to do not happen instantaneously in an airplane, no matter how much we wish it so.

Our heads should always be "on a swivel", but in real life its not always so.

And its just SO easy to criticize. :rolleyes2:

This is one where I would have loved to have a GoPro video from the cockpit to analyze.

If you fly into something it is your fault. That parachute flies at 15 maybe 20 mph. Like running down children in a crosswalk. So much for tailwheel pilots being better.
You can say that about any accident. He ran into a car, he should hang it up. He ran a red light, he should hang it up. He grounded the boat...
And how many accidents have you had?
They are called accidents for a reason. Both were low and slow. Guy under the chute missed seeing the plane as well. Hard to know what he was doing but if he was on a straight line, he would have had to pass over the electrical wires 50' behind him. Maybe he was flying aggressively, maybe he saw the plane and tried to beat it to the ground, maybe he was circling and missed the plane.
Judgement without facts. And you're complaining about people defending the pilot? Hopefully, you've never had an accident, run a red light, hit a kid or an animal. But if you had, you would know how unpredictable things are and how dangerous it is to make assumptions without facts.

Last edited:
Which has nothing to do with running slower flying machines down. Let the C-170 pilot back in the air and no mountain is safe.

So the pilot was low, slow on short final and concentrating on flare and touchdown? I don't know anything about 'chutes, but how long are the canopy cords? If the diver was a couple feet above the ground, he airplane was what, 30' agl or less?

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I'm not looking up and to my right looking for skydivers decending into my right wing at that point. I'm pretty much transitioning from looking at touchdown point to looking down the runway.

Now, if he canopy was visible in the ata a mile or two out, that's another story. The aircraft should have given right of way.

So the pilot was low, slow on short final and concentrating on flare and touchdown? I don't know anything about 'chutes, but how long are the canopy cords? If the diver was a couple feet above the ground, he airplane was what, 30' agl or less?

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I'm not looking up and to my right looking for skydivers decending into my right wing at that point. I'm pretty much transitioning from looking at touchdown point to looking down the runway.

Now, if he canopy was visible in the ata a mile or two out, that's another story. The aircraft should have given right of way.
Slow, bright colors, and within a wingspan. Parachute is lot easier to spot then faded GA planes, people want to fly with this guy in the air?

It would appear that this happened well down the field rather than at the threshold (displaced with buckets as the AF/D would have you believe). The diver appears to be traveling perpendicular to the runway so it is quite possible that the pilot figured the diver would have landed off the runway.

Back