Crash At CXY

Shipoke

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
shipoke
I'm not sure of all the details ,just got home from Gaston's, but here is what i've been told. Piper taking off runway 26 developed engine trouble,cleared the street and Turkeyhill mini market crashed into trailer park. 4 people onboard pilot in allentown burn center,his wife and two daughters died in the accident, the lady that lived in the mobile home was at the hospital visiting someone ,nobody on the ground was injured, as i find out what happened i'll let you know Dave G

Dave: Philly Inquirer reported today that it was a "Cessna Cherokee" Chalk another one up for the press. My "guess" was full load, very hot day (accident was at 12:45 pm high DA and couldn't climb out. Hell who knows. I can't imagine this poor guys pain and I'm not talking about the burns.

Pretty darn hot coming out of Gaston's today, and I was better than 500 undergross. Still found myself choosing Vysse on climbout rather than something that'd run a bit cooler. Have turbochargers.

Today was a day for the Density altitude accident, for sure.

Okay .. I'm a little puzzled. Was the pilot flying from the right seat? Story
said it was a 235 .. but he'd have to crawl across the right seat
passenger to get out unless the plane broke up on impact.

How would the pilot get out and not be able to "open the door" to get his family out? Doesn't the 235 have only one door on the co-pilot's side? Oops, someone beat me to it.

This is tragic and will be devastating to the pilot.

Aztec Driver said:
How would the pilot get out and not be able to "open the door" to get his family out? Doesn't the 235 have only one door on the co-pilot's side? Oops, someone beat me to it.

This is tragic and will be devastating to the pilot.

Considering he's in a burn center, the likelyhood was that he was crawling out through flames/on fire, hence no being able to get anyone else out. Reminds me of watching a guy go in in the field next to me and crawling out of the plane on fire (he died a few hours later). That's why I don't fly the A/B or C model Pawnees, not a nice thing to witness, even worse to experience first hand.

My daughter was in York all week participating in a church camp in which the participants were rehabbing and painting homes for elderly and low-income folks. Looking at the York Web site yesterday for a story, this was the lead story. Terribly sad.

"Beemer of Harrisburg Jet Center said he believed the plane’s engine stalled after take off. Small planes often do not fly well on hot days, he said, especially when carrying heavy loads. The temperature at Capital City Airport at the time of the crash was about 90 degrees, according to the National Weather Service."

Either sloppy reporting (Engine Stalled?) or misstatement by Mr. Beemer, owner of H'burg Jet Center. Now every time people hear someone throttle back, they'll think of immenent crash. Now every hot day they will think of a pending accident.....:no: :no: :no:

Maybe the engine stopped running? Maybe too high an AoA and the wing stalled?

Grrrrr...and he should know better!

F.W. My bet is Beemer never said the "ENGINE" stalled. More like the presses interpretation of "Stall"

Learning to fly a 65 hp aeronca champ has certainly given me a renewed interest in density altitude this week. Always good to remember that high gross loads and high temps/humidity are not a good mix. Even with 10K feet of runway to work with.

Still. We won't know what happened for sure until the NTSB takes the engine apart, etc. Even then...?

Jim G

Back