Crash at 44N

Shepherd

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Shepherd
Sorry about the fingers.
Sunday, 3:00 PMish. Winds variable, 15kts, gusting to 30kts+ 90 degrees to the runway.
The pilot attempted to land downwind. No additional details, yet.
This was the result.
crashIM9.jpg

Small Plane Flips Over In Pond At Airport In Dutchess County
April 2, 2017 5:42 PM

images

Ambulance (credit: clipart.com)

MILLBROOK, N.Y. (CBSNewYork) — One passenger was hospitalized Sunday afternoon after a small plane flipped over while landing in Dutchess County.

Around 1:30 p.m., New York State Police were called to the Sky Acres Airport in Millbrook after the single-engine fixed-wing Cessna Skyhawk II was involved in an accident.

The plane’s pilot was attempting to land on Runway 17 when the plane ran off the east shoulder and came to rest overturned in a small pond, state police said.

The pilot and three passengers were on board at the time of the crash, state police said.

Only one passenger was taken to MidHudson Regional Hospital in Poughkeepsie with minor injuries, state police said.

The Federal Aviation Administration was investigating late Sunday.

Winds were wildly variable. He started down the 'slope directly down wind, just before touchdown the wind gusted 30+ knots 90 degrees to the runway. He didn't have much of a chance to correct.
He went over the edge, down the hill into the runoff pond. He tore the nose gear off and went over on his back.
Apparently there were a number of close calls, missed approaches, and squishy underwear during the afternoon.

Interesting place to fly to. The runway has a peak in the center, and is on a hilltop and surrounded by other hills, from what I remember. Winds were funky the day I landed there, and had a go around because of them. I flew through a lot of turbulence getting there as the wind went over those hills as well. Decent restaurant, though. :yesnod:

used to love to go there back in the day good food and great fuel prices,and the star attraction was the owner Jinny Styles fun lady.i understand now that her daughter is running the very successful co SkyGeek out of the large hangar building at the bottom of the hill.ah the good old days

Winds were wildly variable. He started down the 'slope directly down wind, just before touchdown the wind gusted 30+ knots 90 degrees to the runway. He didn't have much of a chance to correct.
I don't understand, what was the point of attempting a downwind landing? Is there a significant runway gradient?

I don't understand, what was the point of attempting a downwind landing? Is there a significant runway gradient?

Who knows what goes on in people's heads. Maybe he misread the flag on the FBO (where I get my wind information).
The windsocks are semi-useless. There are 2 of them. On the average day they are pointing at each other.
Runway 17 is an uphill approach until you reach where the FBO is situated (at the 2/3s point of the runway), then it goes down slightly the other way.
I fly there, a lot, and I've seen these kinds of conditions, often.

Just 8 miles away is an airport with 2 runways at 90 degrees to each other

Just 8 miles away is an airport with 2 runways at 90 degrees to each other

We have one of those down here...KIMM, always fun taxiing to the runway(s):

upload_2017-4-3_14-46-24.png

That sucks about the crash though...I had to make a downwind landing one time, but the winds also shifted like @UngaWunga mentioned. Not bad enough to force a go around, but enough to make you sit up and pay attention..

Sorry about the fingers.
Sunday, 3:00 PMish. Winds variable, 15kts, gusting to 30kts+ 90 degrees to the runway.
The pilot attempted to land downwind. No additional details, yet.
This was the result.
View attachment 52487

Love flying to 44N. It's one of my top 3 destinations. That being said, you have to be smart about when you go there! It's not the place to be landing in 90 degree cross winds with 30+ knot gusts. The runway is only 50 feet wide with a deep gully on one side and trees on the other. Too bad the pilot got in over his head. Hope he is ok!

Great little airport to fly into but when the winds kick up best stay away.

Great restaurant and cheap gas (by Northeast standards).

Glad to hear this didn't end more seriously.

Back