Crapsman Tool Boxes

I strongly suspect that considerable Snap-On stuff is Chinese-made.

It is. Much of what they sell is made in China... just like everybody else. A lot of their product line is the exact same tools made in the exact same factory as their competitors Mac and Matco, Cornwall, SK, Klein, etc. They just change the color an the logo. So much is made in China now by all brands that they really have to down play the country of origin thing as much as possible and try to sweep it under the rug.

The hand tool industry was one of the last hold outs where Made In USA still mattered enough to the consumer that that tradition was maintained. Sadly it too is succumbing to the power of China. The cost of manufacturing here is more than most consumers can bare and as you have pointed out China with our expertise and guidance has vastly improved their quality.

When the product is directed and overseen by American, or European companies, the product can be very good if they choose. They can also direct the Chinese factory to make crap too, as is the case with the low end Craftsman tool boxes. When it's Chinese running the whole show, it's terrible. So as we move into this new world where everything is stupidly made in one foreign country, product review and experience will be paramount. Country of origin and brand names won't mean much anymore.

I'm sure neither Craftsman nor Snap-on will replace a tool that has been clearance-ground, machined down, or heated & bent. That's why I buy Craftsman. The new stuff sure is crap though.

I've been buying off the Snap On truck since I was 11.

I hear ya. I started buying off the SnapOn truck when I was 6, I was building custom Harley's for friends. When I was 7 I taught myself to weld and began fabricating my own bike frames as well.

Yea, those were the days! :rolleyes:

I'm sure neither Craftsman nor Snap-on will replace a tool that has been clearance-ground, machined down, or heated & bent. That's why I buy Craftsman. The new stuff sure is crap though.

If I've customized a tool I'll be damned if I'm trading it back lol. I did explode a torque multiplier with extreme abuse and it got traded no worries with only one question, "What did it finally take?" "A 3hp winch pulling on a 8' arm"

So as we move into this new world where everything is stupidly made in one foreign country...

I read somewhere that 80% of the world's socks are made in one city in China. If they chose, they could leave us all barefoot. Nobody here in North America would have the machinery or expertise to fill the shortfall anytime soon.

And that applies to an awful lot of other stuff. Not very smart to let ourselves get obligated to one country like that.

Dan

Oh, it's the slide coming apart, I thought the whole slide came loose.

see what thinking gets you. why do it, if it always causes you to be wrong?

see what thinking gets you. why do it?

because it keeps him out of the trouble that folks who think there can be flow without pressure drop will lead him into...

because it keeps him out of the trouble that folks who think there can be flow without pressure drop will lead him into...

You must be saying you shouldn't either.

My Snap-On dealer took in an old circa 1970's KRL large rolling chest. He gave the guy $400 trade in on a new one. I bought it for what he had in it blasted and powder coated for another $400. He replaced all the slides and casters under warranty. So for $800 I have a powder coated Snap-On KRL box. I also picked up a Snap-On vise from a failed dealers truck for $150 so for less than $1000 total you can get a good quality setup if get creative.

My Snap-On dealer took in an old circa 1970's KRL large rolling chest. He gave the guy $400 trade in on a new one. I bought it for what he had in it blasted and powder coated for another $400. He replaced all the slides and casters under warranty. So for $800 I have a powder coated Snap-On KRL box. I also picked up a Snap-On vise from a failed dealers truck for $150 so for less than $1000 total you can get a good quality setup if get creative.
Those are great boxes, your a lucky dude :)

Back