Crappy WX but a really great adventure!

RotaryWingBob

En-Route
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iHover
Two of my partners and I had decided to fly to Baltimore Inner Harbor Sunday. The weather was marginal VFR but being intrepid helicopter pilots we filed a VFR flight plan for ADIZ entry and went for it.

My partner Rob flew the first leg to the Pier 7 heliport. The ceiling was around 1300, but at one point we started getting into thin cloud. Rob wisely floored the collective and slowed down to 60 KIAS, then leveled off at 500 agl. After we got through that, he climbed to to around 900 agl for the rest of the way down.

The heliport gave us their courtesy car and we went to the main part of the inner harbor for brunch. Then back in the helicopter. This time Dennis flew the next leg to the Tidewater Grill in Le Havre, MD. We checkout the joint, agreed it would be a great place to come back to for lunch or dinner. After a diet coke, we climbed back in and I flew the leg back home.

It was really a fun day, and here's some pictures. I was in the back of the bus first leg, left seat second leg. Enjoy!

Attachments

• IMG_5659.jpg
    IMG_5659.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_5665.jpg
    IMG_5665.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_5668.jpg
    IMG_5668.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_5669.jpg
    IMG_5669.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_5672.jpg
    IMG_5672.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_5677.jpg
    IMG_5677.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_5683.jpg
    IMG_5683.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_5684.jpg
    IMG_5684.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_5686.jpg
    IMG_5686.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_5688.jpg
    IMG_5688.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_5691.jpg
    IMG_5691.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_5694.jpg
    IMG_5694.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_5695.jpg
    IMG_5695.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_5696.jpg
    IMG_5696.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 28
Bob,

Cool pics! Looks like a great trip. I've always wanted to go to Le Havre. Bee to the Baltimore Harobr many times, but not like that!

Great pictures, Bob, love that landing in the lawn in front of the diner.

Awesome trip Bob! I gotta get up in that bird soon. Looks like you had a blast.

Cool Bob! I've actually picked up at the Rukert terminal in Baltimore before, but I see the ships from a much lower angle.

Boy, heli flying must be cool. I'd better avoid it 'til I can afford it. :eek: :goofy:

Hey, my FBO now has TWO Robinsons for rent, an R-22 and a new R-44! An IFR chopper with air conditioning! Unfortunately, at $400/hr, I don't think I'll be picking up a rating in it anytime soon! Looks like you had a great time, and I'm jealous!

Hey, my FBO now has TWO Robinsons for rent, an R-22 and a new R-44! An IFR chopper with air conditioning! Unfortunately, at $400/hr, I don't think I'll be picking up a rating in it anytime soon! Looks like you had a great time, and I'm jealous!

It was good fun!

We have a/c in our R44 II and it works amazingly well. The factory says it only consumes about 3 hp and it's even smart enough to turn itself off if the governor moves the throttle close to the fully open position. So on hot days, it goes on as soon as the engine fires up, and off just prior to engine shutdown.

As far as IFR, the one at your FBO may be set up for instrument training (full sixpack of instruments -- our only gyro is an AI), but Robinsons are limited to day and night VFR only. IFR cert. requires a very sophisticated autopilot in a helicopter.

Did I say that helicopters are fun to fly? :D

Bob,
Great photos. After seeing Jesse's Gastons video, I am spoiled. If you can take the harbor with a video camera, I would love to watch it.
ATC sometimes thinks I am a helo when I tell them that I am an Apache. The mighty Apache is 50 years young this year.
Sorry, no air conditioning.
ApacheBob

Back