Crappy Day. Comments?

spiderweb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
Went out today to work on TPW.

I hadn't gotten enough sleep; and I probably should have grounded myself right then. I felt "hazy." I countered that by doing a very careful and slow preflight.

But then, having flown for 11 years, on takeoff I suddenly felt as nervous as my first solo. Something inside suddenly nagged at me, asking, "Can you do this?" It was hard to focus. I tried to talk myself through the numbers, flap settings, etc., but I did not do that well keeping on the numbers.

My first landing was flat and bad, but nothing broken. I was having trouble judging height above runway, and I was over-correcting. I forced myself to go up again, though.

Second landing featured a lousy approach. But over the runway, I was on speed, at least. Then I got a major updraft for some reason. So now I'm floating 15 feet above the runway and running out of airspeed. I add some power and lower the nose. The actual landing was very soft, but I still had trouble judging height above runway.

Before the third, I sat in the cockpit and went through the whole thing, mentally. This time the pattern and landing was much better. I still had that bubble of air, and a subsequent float, but the overall pattern and landing was much more professional.

Then my headset's ANR died, so I decided to call it quits.

An THEN, when trying to lock the door, the key broke!

What's next? Is a bird going to crap on my bald spot or something?

I don't fly as much as I used to, but this flight was just a couple of weeks after an excellent IFR flight with my instructor, with a couple of very sweet landings.

What are your thoughts and recommendations?

Do you think my trouble with judging height above runway was exacerbated by the updraft or my "hazy" mental state, or both, or something else? Why was I over-correcting? I've been flying for almost 11 years, and generally don't have a problem with this.

I'm giving my post one star, because I know the jerk who is doing that is going to do that, anyway, and I'll just be the first this time, OK?

Last edited:
IM SAFE (or whatever the acronym is). If you aren't feeling it then just don't go.

IM SAFE (or whatever the acronym is). If you aren't feeling it then just don't go.

That's what I am thinking. Because that lack of sleep probably contributed to the problems I was having.

I feel pretty stupid. Maybe this should be a "Never Again."

It was just that it is a beautiful day, and I had the time. Also, my TPW and landings are generally good, so I thought I'd be fine.

I suppose the fact that I could have some good landings despite my "haze" attests to the training.

That's what I am thinking. Because that lack of sleep probably contributed to the problems I was having.

I feel pretty stupid. Maybe this should be a "Never Again."

It was just that it is a beautiful day, and I had the time. Also, my TPW and landings are generally good, so I thought I'd be fine.

I suppose the fact that I could have some good landings despite my "haze" attests to the training.

We're always our own worst critics. The aircraft is re-usable, yes? Then they were great landings!

Still, sometimes it's best to just hangar fly. I've been known to use an excuse like needing to charge the battery.

BTDT. Everybody has a bad day. You knew it before you got in the aircraft.

You still landed safely and brought yourself home in one piece. The airplane too.

Next time, you'll listen to that subconscious voice and not turn the key.

I haven't been feeling much like myself for almost a month now, so I haven't flown for almost a month now. I will go up with a pilot friend next time I go.

All that said, here is something all of you two eyed pilots should experiment with now and then.

As a mono vision pilot, judging hight above the runway is not one of my strong points. There is another way of bringing it down, and that is using your runway landing instrument. Every airplane is equipped with one, just locating it takes a little practice.

On my Warrior, it is located at the top of my cowling, just behind the propeller, and at the end of the runway.

The far end of the runway makes a line where it ends. I line up the top of my cowling just below the line at the end of the runway.

So, as I make my approach, when I can see that line above the cowling line, I start my flare. Then I hold my cowling line slightly below the runway line by slowly pulling back on my yoke. I ignore the runway below me, although I remain aware of it.

The whole sequence of the landing event is controlled by those two lines on my landing instrument, just outside my windshield.

This is the same as flying by the numbers. If you are meticulous about the entire thing, approach speeds and whatnot, every landing will be a greaser. The only time I get crappy landings is when I think I am a great judge of hight.

Even unforeseen events, like updrafts and wind sheer, become easy to manage if you are conditioned to using your landing instrument. Either the lines can be put where they are supposed to be, or you go around.

-John

Last edited:
John, you just described how one of my CFIs teaches us two-eyed pilots to do it. ;)

And it really does work.

Ben:

I have discussed exactly what you describe with a multi-thousand-hour ATP I know, and he says it happens to him too. It is just natural, and I think more likely to occur for someone like you, who (1) sets very high standards for the things he does, and (2) has the knowledge and intellect to think articulately about what you are doing.

If I had a dollar for times when I have had real crappy flights, or I didn't fly as well as I usually do, or should then I could buy a couple burritos at Chipotle. And yes this is even a problem in the professional flying world. I am living proof.

One thing I can say, is it gets easier to fly fatigued, or stressed as you gain more experience. In fact its real hard to pass an IMSAFE checklist most of the time in some jobs. Its just how it goes.

Last edited:
BTDT. Everybody has a bad day. You knew it before you got in the aircraft.

You still landed safely and brought yourself home in one piece. The airplane too.

Next time, you'll listen to that subconscious voice and not turn the key.

You're right about knowing it before I got in the aircraft. I should have just studied or something. . . .

I haven't been feeling much like myself for almost a month now, so I haven't flown for almost a month now. I will go up with a pilot friend next time I go.

All that said, here is something all of you two eyed pilots should experiment with now and then.

As a mono vision pilot, judging hight above the runway is not one of my strong points. There is another way of bringing it down, and that is using your runway landing instrument. Every airplane is equipped with one, just locating it takes a little practice.

On my Warrior, it is located at the top of my cowling, just behind the propeller, and at the end of the runway.

The far end of the runway makes a line where it ends. I line up the top of my cowling just below the line at the end of the runway.

So, as I make my approach, when I can see that line above the cowling line, I start my flare. Then I hold my cowling line slightly below the runway line by slowly pulling back on my yoke. I ignore the runway below me, although I remain aware of it.

The whole sequence of the landing event is controlled by those two lines on my landing instrument, just outside my windshield.

This is the same as flying by the numbers. If you are meticulous about the entire thing, approach speeds and whatnot, every landing will be a greaser. The only time I get crappy landings is when I think I am a great judge of hight.

Even unforeseen events, like updrafts and wind sheer, become easy to manage if you are conditioned to using your landing instrument. Either the lines can be put where they are supposed to be, or you go around.

-John

Sounds like a good method. I'm a two-eyed pilot, but I took the mono-vision SODA.

Ben:

I have discussed exactly what you describe with a multi-thousand-hour ATP I know, and he says it happens to him too. It is just natural, and I think more likely to occur for someone like you, who (1) sets very high standards for the things he does, and (2) has the knowledge and intellect to think articulately about what you are doing.

Thanks, Spike. I don't want to sound like an arrogant jackass, but my TPW and landings are usually at least acceptable and often good--probably why I was able to "save" some of those sketchy approaches.

This was probably mostly the haze, and I got freaked out when I realized I should have grounded myself.

We're always our own worst critics. The aircraft is re-usable, yes? Then they were great landings!

Still, sometimes it's best to just hangar fly. I've been known to use an excuse like needing to charge the battery.

Thanks. I should have studied the aircraft systems or something.

If I had a dollar for times when I have had real crappy flights, or I didn't fly as well as I usually do, or should then I could buy a couple burritos at Chipotle. And yes this is even a problem in the professional flying world. I am living proof.

One thing I can say, is it gets easier to fly fatigued, or stressed as you gain more experience. In fact its real hard to pass an IMSAFE checklist most of the time in some jobs. Its just how it goes.

I was thinking that today. But since I'm private, I usually have the luxury of not going if I'm foggy or whatever, so I'm not used to compensating, I guess.

As everyone else has said, we all have those days where nothing goes right, the world seems to go against you. It is great that you were able to land safely and knew to just put the plane away. There are too many that may not make that same choice, press on, and end up a story on the six o'clock news.

Brush it off, and when you're feeling better, go out there and prove you've still got the skill to grease the plane on the runway.

As everyone else has said, we all have those days where nothing goes right, the world seems to go against you. It is great that you were able to land safely and knew to just put the plane away. There are too many that may not make that same choice, press on, and end up a story on the six o'clock news.

Brush it off, and when you're feeling better, go out there and prove you've still got the skill to grease the plane on the runway.

Thanks!

I was thinking that today. But since I'm private, I usually have the luxury of not going if I'm foggy or whatever, so I'm not used to compensating, I guess.

Its a good lesson and can be an eye opener. I still won't fly if I am physically or mentally unable, no matter how much my bosses push me. But it is nice to have the ability, with nobody else influencing your decision, to make a self choice to go or no-go.

I usually have the luxury of not going if I'm foggy or whatever,
I must be a little foggy tonight because it took me a while to decipher "TPW". I'm guessing it's "traffic pattern work"? :idea:

Ben, sounds like a few of the days i've had. Just shake it off, and make sure you are absolutely "perfect" when you go next time, and do those touch and goes/stop and goes till the rust is gone!

I must be a little foggy tonight because it took me a while to decipher "TPW". I'm guessing it's "traffic pattern work"? :idea:
I'm glad I'm not the only one who was puzzled about that. I was thinking the same thing... or maybe "takeoffs and pattern work".

Traffic pattern. That's all I got out of TPW. No need for acronyms. Sorry, I knew what you were doing but I think we have enough of them.

Best thing you can do... Get some sleep. It's amazing what a good night of sleep can do for you.

<snip>
-John

Thanks, John.

I have two good eyes but have been told by two eye professionals, one many years ago and one recently, that they do not work together properly and I have a depth perception issue. The one years ago said I have no depth perception and use other visual cues. I never really knew how to process that. It seems to me that I have binocular vision and I have nothing to compare it to. I wonder if my eyes do not work properly only on tests for depth perception ;)

Judging height in the flare is never a sure thing for me. In the Luscombe, I three-point by having my "landing device". I was having a bit of trouble until I realized that I slouched a bit after flying for a while and my landing device was "calibrated" for when I was fresh. I am working on the adjustment. For wheel landings, it is a bit of a hunt but that is OK.

I am going to try to worry a bit less about my depth perception and fine-tune my landing devices :)

Thanks, John.

I have two good eyes but have been told by two eye professionals, one many years ago and one recently, that they do not work together properly and I have a depth perception issue. The one years ago said I have no depth perception and use other visual cues. I never really knew how to process that. It seems to me that I have binocular vision and I have nothing to compare it to. I wonder if my eyes do not work properly only on tests for depth perception ;)

Judging height in the flare is never a sure thing for me. In the Luscombe, I three-point by having my "landing device". I was having a bit of trouble until I realized that I slouched a bit after flying for a while and my landing device was "calibrated" for when I was fresh. I am working on the adjustment. For wheel landings, it is a bit of a hunt but that is OK.

I am going to try to worry a bit less about my depth perception and fine-tune my landing devices :)

You might start off by getting an eye patch and try it with just one eye. Have someone with you if you can. Having two eyes that don't agree with each other has got to be a whole lot worse than having just one eye.

Once you have everything calibrated, then try it again with both eyes and see how that works. You might find that you do better with just one eye.

-John

Here is a fun test for you two eyed pilots to have a taste of what one eye is like.

Have someone stand in front of you at about five or six feet distance. With both eyes open, have them toss you your keys. See if you can catch them.

Now close one eye and do it again.

John

You might start off by getting an eye patch and try it with just one eye. Have someone with you if you can. Having two eyes that don't agree with each other has got to be a whole lot worse than having just one eye.

Once you have everything calibrated, then try it again with both eyes and see how that works. You might find that you do better with just one eye.

-John

Thanks, I will.

It seems to me sometimes that both my eyes are "equally dominant" and that instead of having true binocular vision there is some sort of back-and-forth going on. Most folks with an eye issue have one eye dominant, I think. This does not show up on normal eye exams. For my last exam I wanted someone a cut above so I went the Board-certified route with a Dr. that does the eye work for UM Athletics. Even he did not catch it until I told him to look and then he confirmed the issue.

I think just about every physical I get, a doctor will try to examine my glass eye. It is one of those new fangled ones that actually moves with my real eye. I even got a WTF once.

-John

Went out today to work on TPW.

I hadn't gotten enough sleep; and I probably should have grounded myself right then. I felt "hazy." I countered that by doing a very careful and slow preflight.

But then, having flown for 11 years, on takeoff I suddenly felt as nervous as my first solo. Something inside suddenly nagged at me, asking, "Can you do this?" It was hard to focus. I tried to talk myself through the numbers, flap settings, etc., but I did not do that well keeping on the numbers.

My first landing was flat and bad, but nothing broken. I was having trouble judging height above runway, and I was over-correcting. I forced myself to go up again, though.

Second landing featured a lousy approach. But over the runway, I was on speed, at least. Then I got a major updraft for some reason. So now I'm floating 15 feet above the runway and running out of airspeed. I add some power and lower the nose. The actual landing was very soft, but I still had trouble judging height above runway.

Before the third, I sat in the cockpit and went through the whole thing, mentally. This time the pattern and landing was much better. I still had that bubble of air, and a subsequent float, but the overall pattern and landing was much more professional.

Then my headset's ANR died, so I decided to call it quits.

An THEN, when trying to lock the door, the key broke!

What's next? Is a bird going to crap on my bald spot or something?

I don't fly as much as I used to, but this flight was just a couple of weeks after an excellent IFR flight with my instructor, with a couple of very sweet landings.

What are your thoughts and recommendations?

Do you think my trouble with judging height above runway was exacerbated by the updraft or my "hazy" mental state, or both, or something else? Why was I over-correcting? I've been flying for almost 11 years, and generally don't have a problem with this.

I'm giving my post one star, because I know the jerk who is doing that is going to do that, anyway, and I'll just be the first this time, OK?

You have way more experience than I do so it feels weird trying to give someone else advice (take it or leave it). Right before my checkride when I was doing my 3 hours of prep, I went up with my instructor to work on landings. Needless to say, it was pitiful. I had so much confidence going into that lesson because my instructor said I was ready for the checkride and the 3 hours prep was just another requirement we had to meet. My short field landings were WAY too long. My soft field landings were anything but soft. And I sounded like a blabbering idiot on the radios. I literally thought about quitting even though I was an hour away from being a private pilot. But, with the help of my instructor, I shook it off and passed the checkride a week later. My instructor ensured me that even he, who is a corporate pilot (citation), has days where he feels like he is doing nothing right. Everybody has those days but from my experience, the great pilots are the ones who can forget about it.

Ben, sounds like a few of the days i've had. Just shake it off, and make sure you are absolutely "perfect" when you go next time, and do those touch and goes/stop and goes till the rust is gone!

Thanks. That's going to be the plan!

Everybody has those days but from my experience, the great pilots are the ones who can forget about it.

I probably won't forget about it--in a way it is good that I remember it.

But it will eat at me a bit until the next time I can get up in the air (a week from now).

The annoying part of this was I was starting the flare too high, and transitioning too quickly. That, plus the updraft burble kept me up too long. I -knew- I was doing this, too, but I just got scared of the ground.

Experience--both mental, and pants-seat--told me that I would then be dropped down on the runway, so I lowered the nose while adding power, and landed smoothly. But how stupid I looked and felt.

Those were the first two landings. So, that's why after that, I pulled onto the taxiway, and briefed every phase of the next landing before taking off. I said, "Ben, grow up and cut the crap. Fly the plane right!"

That third approach and landing was much more dignified; but of course then my headset died, so I called it quits.

The annoying part of this was I was starting the flare too high, and transitioning too quickly. That, plus the updraft burble kept me up too long. I -knew- I was doing this, too, but I just got scared of the ground.

Experience--both mental, and pants-seat--told me that I would then be dropped down on the runway, so I lowered the nose while adding power, and landed smoothly. But how stupid I looked and felt.

Those were the first two landings. So, that's why after that, I pulled onto the taxiway, and briefed every phase of the next landing before taking off. I said, "Ben, grow up and cut the crap. Fly the plane right!"

That third approach and landing was much more dignified; but of course then my headset died, so I called it quits.

Thank you for showing me this thread from my similar story:

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48916

Thank goodness mine was on a calm / clear day. I can't imagine if I would have had up or down drafts or crosswinds.

How did your next flight go?

Thank you for showing me this thread from my similar story:

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48916

Thank goodness mine was on a calm / clear day. I can't imagine if I would have had up or down drafts or crosswinds.

How did your next flight go?

Haven't done it yet. Here's what happened:

First, I decided I wanted to do two closely-spaced lessons, divided up into VFR and IFR work.

Then I decided, why not do my annual BFR? (Every two years seems kinda crazy, so I do it every year.)

Then I scheduled a long X-C for next month--300 nm straight-line distance, about 800 nm, total (triangle). I didn't want to take a C172, because they're too slow and tight for three persons; and the C182s are no longer on the line, so . . .

I thought about the Cirrus. I posted here, and unanimously, people recommended it. so,

Then I bought the PIM, and am working through the required workbook, and I will have one 3 or 4 hour lesson with ground on airwork and landings, and another 3 or 4 hour lesson with ground on IFR ops.

This will happen next week and the week after.

I'm excited!

Rather than Flight Reviews, go do WINGS instead. You can do them every 6 months, up to two years, and they count as flight reviews. You get a certificate of completion (suitable for framing if you print it right) and you can request a set of wings from Avemco.
Classes and flight time with an instructor.
OR... You can just go for a new rating. Counts as a flight review as well.

Haven't done it yet. Here's what happened:

First, I decided I wanted to do two closely-spaced lessons, divided up into VFR and IFR work.

Then I decided, why not do my annual BFR? (Every two years seems kinda crazy, so I do it every year.)

Then I scheduled a long X-C for next month--300 nm straight-line distance, about 800 nm, total (triangle). I didn't want to take a C172, because they're too slow and tight for three persons; and the C182s are no longer on the line, so . . .

I thought about the Cirrus. I posted here, and unanimously, people recommended it. so,

Then I bought the PIM, and am working through the required workbook, and I will have one 3 or 4 hour lesson with ground on airwork and landings, and another 3 or 4 hour lesson with ground on IFR ops.

This will happen next week and the week after.

I'm excited!

Holy cow this is cool. Way cooler than just doing TPW.

Rather than Flight Reviews, go do WINGS instead. You can do them every 6 months, up to two years, and they count as flight reviews. You get a certificate of completion (suitable for framing if you print it right) and you can request a set of wings from Avemco.

I wonder if the FAA looks at people in a "better" light if they see a bunch of WINGS flights instead of BFRs or new ratings.

Good suggestion. My CFIs have been saying the same things.

I was going to go for the commercial, but it raises my insurance.

The next rating will be twin!

Back