crank seal

bluerooster

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
shorty
While I'm down for paint, I decided that while I've got it apart I might as well go ahead and replace the crank seal. It was showing signs of leakage. Apparently, when it was installed at overhaul, they used weatherstrip adhesive as a sealant. It took about 2 minutes to remove the old seal, 2 hours getting the old glue off, and about 3 minutes to install the new seal. Never having replaced one before, I was surprized at how easy it actually is, (aside from the prep process).

Another thing that was reccomended by the IA, was to remove and inspect the lower wing attach bolts. I pulled the worst looking two , (one from each wing) They looked good, so I elected to put them back and install new nuts. Well, one of the twenty bolts didn't ever get tight. I removed the nut, and found it to be stripped. I have 20 new bolts, and 60 new washers, on the way. (I already have the nuts)
I'll replace them all. Had I done that to begin with, I'd be done with it. Live and learn, I suppose.

I also installed the exhaust, after getting it pressure tested, I didn't use any RTV on the gaskets.
Installed a couple new studs, and all the bolts in the clamps. While I was there I noticed the alternator needed a shim to line up the belt properly, so took care of that as well. Then installed the cowling, with new anti-chafe. Hadda re-shim the cowling latches. (those things never go back the way they came off) I need to replace two brake hoses, but ran out of time today.

If the N number stencils will ever get here, I can finish the paint job. But in the mean time I can finalize the avionics install. And the brake hoses, next weekend.

Is there any thought that sourcing such important bolts from various places would avoid the possibility of them all being soft or otherwise defective? Or maybe it is like diversifying your stocks; it guarantees that some will be of poor quality.

I think they only test a few out of a batch, and if they test good, it's assumed that the whole batch is good. I dunno, but seems plausable.

Back