Craigslist Deal

Depending on who did the restoration, that could be a real steal. I'd be looking at it if I didn't have a Cherokee already.

Depending on who did the restoration, that could be a real steal. I'd be looking at it if I didn't have a Cherokee already.

Is it the new engine or the general restoration that makes it potentially a bargain?

Is it the new engine or the general restoration that makes it potentially a bargain?

Both. Again depends. Who did the restoration? A Mattituck engine is worth more to me than a shade tree mechanic. I imagine "total restoration" means new paint and interior, but that again could be worth it. Who did the paint, what did they shoot? Who did the interior, what did they use? Could be a really good deal with all that.

Both. Again depends. Who did the restoration? A Mattituck engine is worth more to me than a shade tree mechanic. I imagine "total restoration" means new paint and interior, but that again could be worth it. Who did the paint, what did they shoot? Who did the interior, what did they use? Could be a really good deal with all that.

OK - always good to know some of the criteria others use for judging these things. I've been casually looking (online ads only) at what kind of used IFR equipped Cherokee 140s are available for under $30k. Ideally built 1969 or later. Obviously ads don't say a lot, but my own criteria would focus on airframe soundness (I can't tell at all from the ads; TTAF doesn't seem likely to tell me much, or would it?) and engine (anything under 1500 SMOH and overhauled at least since around 1995.) Nice interior and avionics is lower priority to me.

Not sure if the above criteria are reasonable basis for initial screening. I do know that on price alone, the airplane referenced in this thread would screen out - however, $30k is moderately arbitrary screening point in the sense that it is my most comfortable initial cost based on what I suspect is available. When I set the screening point to $40k I see more options, but since I see possibilities under $30k that seem to meet my criteria, I have to ask whether it makes sense to up the price range - or whether the aircraft I think are plausible possibilities under $30k are really all dogs.

OK - always good to know some of the criteria others use for judging these things. I've been casually looking (online ads only) at what kind of used IFR equipped Cherokee 140s are available for under $30k. Ideally built 1969 or later. Obviously ads don't say a lot, but my own criteria would focus on airframe soundness (I can't tell at all from the ads; TTAF doesn't seem likely to tell me much, or would it?) and engine (anything under 1500 SMOH and overhauled at least since around 1995.) Nice interior and avionics is lower priority to me.

Total time usually isn't that big an issue unless you're looking at flight school aircraft. The airframe has fewer parts than your car, motorcycle, and possibly your lawnmower. So long as there is no corrosion and the ADs, what few there are, have been attended to, it is likely to be solid. As far as engine, that will depend on the usage. However, when buying an aircraft with a mid-time engine I would want to see it flown consistently since the last rebuild. That is actually a lot more important to me than the actual time since overhaul. An aircraft with a higher time engine will command a lower price than that with a lower time engine.

Not sure if the above criteria are reasonable basis for initial screening. I do know that on price alone, the airplane referenced in this thread would screen out - however, $30k is moderately arbitrary screening point in the sense that it is my most comfortable initial cost based on what I suspect is available. When I set the screening point to $40k I see more options, but since I see possibilities under $30k that seem to meet my criteria, I have to ask whether it makes sense to up the price range - or whether the aircraft I think are plausible possibilities under $30k are really all dogs.

Keep in mind that paint and interior cost far, far more than ten thousand dollars. Also keep in mind that eventually you'll want to sell the aircraft. So yes, I'd pay a premium for good paint and interior. In fact, have you actually seen one that looks that good at that price point? That one shows well in photos, I'd have a good look were I in the market. Also keep in mind that good paint becomes bad paint quickly outside in the northeast. When I got a Cherokee with a good paint job, I quickly got a hangar.

There are really only two kinds of aircraft you really want. Either the perfect one that has been restored by someone else, so you take the price break, or the rattiest one that you restore yourself. Again, the one you reference looks very nice for the information give. Were I in the market I would definitely start grilling the owner, and see if he or she ever scanned the logs. If not, no biggie. The logs for my plane are voluminous, I never did. But if he or she did, you can have a quick look at what was done to see if you are interested.

I've been very happy with my Cherokee. The costs of ownership haven't been horrid, it gets me there, and has the legs to do it without stopping.

Beware of the Craigslist scams. There is a Mooney M20J listed in about 15 states for $46K if I remember correctly. One of the guys on the Mooneyspace Forum tracked down the owner who wasn't even aware it was up for sale.

Just keep that in the back of your mind if it looks to good to be true. Just sayin'

Brian

P.S. Been deployed and out of the country for awhile if anyone is wondering why I have such a low post count. Still lurk and read posts when I can.

P.S. Been deployed and out of the country for awhile if anyone is wondering why I have such a low post count. Still lurk and read posts when I can.

Thank you for your service. Hope you can stop by more often.

You can always invest the $2 for the report from the FAA on any damage/repairs/etc. That's the cheapest and easiest first step.

Next step - look up the N number in the NTSB files to see if it's been in an accident.

Third - agree with someone else in the thread - ask if the log books have been scanned and if you could get a copy. It's snowing here in Colorado, so one of my projects today is to scan the updated logbooks - the overhauled engine is finished and I flew 2 hours on Saturday!!!

Fourth - you've got the N number, look up the aircraft registry, get the owner's name, and call them.

From the photos, the avionics are a bit dated but if they work, who cares?

Thank you for your service. Hope you can stop by more often.

I'll try. I'm more involved on the Mooneyspace forum for obvious reasons, but this board is a lot friendlier than the Red board, that's for sure... :rofl:

Brian

I'll try. I'm more involved on the Mooneyspace forum for obvious reasons, but this board is a lot friendlier than the Red board, that's for sure... :rofl:

Brian

Yeah, seems the AOPA board is mostly guys asking directions, or "is this the right airplane?". Gets boring.

Good on you for the Mooney. I'd love one. I fit well in them, and would like an M20C or preferably an E. Just can't afford it.

Back