Cracks force inspection of entire A380 fleet

Thanks for the info, Tim. I'm glad to hear airlines are not basing their decisions on "wouldn't-it-be-cool" scenarios! And sorry, but I don't know what you mean by "no bleed-air."

Most airliners take compressed air bled from the jet engines (hence "bleed air") and use it to do things like heat and cool and pressurize the cabin, heat the wings for de-ice, and operate other systems. This requires "plumbing" in the airframe (just like the heating/air conditioning ducts in your house) for the air - pneumatics - in addition to the electrical wiring and hydraulic plumbing.

Boeing decided they could do without the pneumatic systems on the 787. Obviously they still pressurize the cabin somehow but they use electrics for the other functions.

According to Wikipedia (I know, not always the most reliable source!), the A340 has NEVER been involved in a fatal crash. I don't think you could make a similar claim for any Boeing model. By the way, I have no stake in either Airbus or Boeing. I've flown them both frequently, and both have their merits. As most of us here know, it's more the training of the pilots that counts!

As far as I know, neither the B717 nor the B777 have been involved in fatal accidents. That said, the quality of the pilots is definitely a far more significant factor than the aircraft manufacturer!

Most airliners take compressed air bled from the jet engines (hence "bleed air") and use it to do things like heat and cool and pressurize the cabin, heat the wings for de-ice, and operate other systems. This requires "plumbing" in the airframe (just like the heating/air conditioning ducts in your house) for the air - pneumatics - in addition to the electrical wiring and hydraulic plumbing.

Boeing decided they could do without the pneumatic systems on the 787. Obviously they still pressurize the cabin somehow but they use electrics for the other functions.

Thanks for that very lucid explanation!

As far as I know, neither the B717 nor the B777 have been involved in fatal accidents. That said, the quality of the pilots is definitely a far more significant factor than the aircraft manufacturer!

Sorry, looks like you're right about the B717 and B777. I stand corrected! Now I have to go pry my foot out my mouth.:D

They use APU bleed air for pressurization and AC.

Also something new is the use of electric brakes.

Sorry, looks like you're right about the B717 and B777. I stand corrected! Now I have to go pry my foot out my mouth.:D

Well the 717 is not a Boeing, it's a rebadged DC-9, MD-80,90,95 and those have been involved in quite a few accidents having been around basically forever.

They use APU bleed air for pressurization and AC.

Also something new is the use of electric brakes.

They don't use bleed air from the APU, they use the electricity generated from the APU to power electric compressors for pressurization and A/C

Sorry, I just worked for the company that developed many of the systems on that plane (some of the systems on the 380 too)

No problem. I haven't spent much time other than the routine press releases reading about it. I do know an Inspector that got to fly one and he told me a few things about it.

I pulled up Boeing's site and did some reading. Interesting stuff.

As long as the mini bar is fully stocked to the requisite level of the duration of the trip, I'm going.

Honestly, when it's your day, it's your day. Or as Henning once said, just try to not be near the others when it's their day. What diff does aircraft mfg make then? But I tell you, if it's gonna happen, how much better to be pleasantly stunned when it does.

As long as the mini bar is fully stocked to the requisite level of the duration of the trip, I'm going.

Honestly, when it's your day, it's your day. Or as Henning once said, just try to not be near the others when it's their day. What diff does aircraft mfg make then? But I tell you, if it's gonna happen, how much better to be pleasantly stunned when it does.
Me too. I don't even check to see what kind of airplane it's going to be. I went from flying mostly Frontier (Airbus) to Southwest (Boeing) on my personal trips but it had nothing to do with the airplane.

I prefer the flight control and pilot-airplane interface philosophies of Boeing over those of Airbus, but the Airbus lines has proven themselves well.

Whatever the issue, I imagine they'll work it out. Too much at stake not to do.

Elizabeth - I've seen an A380 from the outside a few times, but I haven't ridden one yet. No hurry, either.

Back