Crack Cocaine Kills?

Butt crack kills.
He's here all week folks! Try the veal!

To answer the question, an overdose of cocaine causes tachyarrhythmias and a dangerous increase of blood pressure which can kill a person.

The paradox of harsh penalties strikes again.

The paradox of harsh penalties is a sound topic for discussion, but I would suggest that having your brother eat an ounce (an *ounce*-really!?) of crack cocaine goes beyond.

The paradox of harsh penalties is a sound topic for discussion, but I would suggest that having your brother eat an ounce (an *ounce*-really!?) of crack cocaine goes beyond.

I'll admit I'm a little naive WRT to recommend dosing for crack. It's diluted & cooked so about how many hits are we talking about in an ounce? 2 or 3?

I'll admit I'm a little naive WRT to recommend dosing for crack. It's diluted & cooked so about how many hits are we talking about in an ounce? 2 or 3?
Googling came up with this: (I'm not citing the source because I don't really want a link from that site to here). An ounce is about 28 grams.
How much crack does a gram of cocaine yield? How many hits, rather.^I'm only aware of one or two researchers ever attempting to measure this in the field. The figures I recall were 16-20 hits per gram (based on 4-5 per 1/4 batch of cooked crack) for relatively novice, moderate users. The benefit of cooking their own crack (especially in small batches), for those users, was that it greatly slowed the pace of smoking, which, as bennoculus and others point out, is what makes it seem so compulsive (smoking ready-rock with a supply present, individual users can consume multiple grams per hour). Such practical details aren't what we usually think about when considering the dangers (or not) of a drug, but they are often what matters. Likewise, the practice of "booting" dope (repeatedly drawing blood in and out of the syringe/registering over-and-over) greatly exacerbates the HIV risk among homeless heroin users sharing needles.
. I don't even pretend to know what this means or if it answers the question.

Most of you nice middle class folks do not have even the first clue as to what is going on in your city, and every city/town/village in this country...

We have lost an entire generation to mind altering drugs (besides alcohol and nicotine) and are well into the process of losing a second generation...

A local factory recently wanted to hire some machine operators (220,000 population within 18 mile radius) They ran ads specifically pointing out that you MUST have proof of machine operating experience and take a drug test... Over 4000 applications... Only 103 of those could show that they actually ever ran any kind of machine before... Of that 103 only 2 (two) passed the drug screen (and were hired)...

I have seen mothers who spend every penny on crack cocaine and put water in the baby's bottle because she has no money for formula and the baby dies...

The issue is not as simple as Prohibition was... Legalizing these brain altering drugs will make them more affordable but will not stop the drug from destroying people's lives, or prostituting, or robbing.. It will just make them able to buy more drugs more often with the money they manage to get...
Alcohol is a scourge, but crack/meth are the four horsemen of the apocalypse in one package...

If your local police have a ride along policy, I urge you to take some rides...
I urge you to volunteer a few times at the local shelter for street people...
If you belong to an organization I urge that group to work on being allowed to observe in the Emergency Room at your local hospital - they can offer to push wheelchairs, etc...
You will NOT believe what you see...

denny-o
old emr/police doc

You're right Denny, most of us here lead sheltered lives. Actually, on purpose. We don't want nor have to deal with that element of society, so we ignore that it exists. I don't know what the answer is but it seems a growing portion of our society has lost hope, and resort to violent crime, drugs, and welfare. It is sad, but I don't have a clue as to how to address it. All I know is throwing money at it for the last 50 years has only made it worse.

Have you seen all the reports of factory workers drinking and taking drugs on their lunch breaks? And we wonder why industry has moved off shore?

Most of you nice middle class folks do not have even the first clue as to what is going on in your city, and every city/town/village in this country...

We have lost an entire generation to mind altering drugs (besides alcohol and nicotine) and are well into the process of losing a second generation...

A local factory recently wanted to hire some machine operators (220,000 population within 18 mile radius) They ran ads specifically pointing out that you MUST have proof of machine operating experience and take a drug test... Over 4000 applications... Only 103 of those could show that they actually ever ran any kind of machine before... Of that 103 only 2 (two) passed the drug screen (and were hired)...

I have seen mothers who spend every penny on crack cocaine and put water in the baby's bottle because she has no money for formula and the baby dies...

The issue is not as simple as Prohibition was... Legalizing these brain altering drugs will make them more affordable but will not stop the drug from destroying people's lives, or prostituting, or robbing.. It will just make them able to buy more drugs more often with the money they manage to get...
Alcohol is a scourge, but crack/meth are the four horsemen of the apocalypse in one package...

If your local police have a ride along policy, I urge you to take some rides...
I urge you to volunteer a few times at the local shelter for street people...
If you belong to an organization I urge that group to work on being allowed to observe in the Emergency Room at your local hospital - they can offer to push wheelchairs, etc...
You will NOT believe what you see...

denny-o
old emr/police doc

The few people I know who have had the worst problems legally obtain their drug of choice through doctors. Not trying to be confrontational but I've seen more people checked into rehab because of (mostly)legal and (some)illegal prescription drugs than I have for illicit street drugs. Cocaine doesn't have anything on Oxycontin for wrecking lives. YMMV

The few people I know who have had the worst problems legally obtain their drug of choice through doctors. Not trying to be confrontational but I've seen more people checked into rehab because of (mostly)legal and (some)illegal prescription drugs than I have for illicit street drugs. Cocaine doesn't have anything on Oxycontin for wrecking lives. YMMV

Yeah, I think MMDV. Look in the ghettos of inner cities. You won't see anyone going to fancy rehabs for prescription drug abuse. Entire sections of cities and hundreds of thousands of people are being ruined for generations due to the illegal drug trade, and our welfare state that promotes it. So you have our tax dollars supporting it, and our tax dollars trying to stop it with the "war on drugs". Kind of confusing, isn't it?

Yeah, I think MMDV. Look in the ghettos of inner cities. You won't see anyone going to fancy rehabs for prescription drug abuse. Entire sections of cities and hundreds of thousands of people are being ruined for generations due to the illegal drug trade, and our welfare state that promotes it. So you have our tax dollars supporting it, and our tax dollars trying to stop it with the "war on drugs". Kind of confusing, isn't it?

Not really, when you're not in poverty and have health insurance, just go find the right Dr. (And there's plenty in every town in America) and you get more potent drugs than can be purchased on the street and at cheaper prices (via your insurance), you get to save some dignity and not run much of a risk of running afoul of the law (Having money is great). Now if you're broke in a ghetto, you go to your dealer and get the same or other stuff at a much higher price but is overall cheaper than having to pay a doctor out of pocket. I assure you there's more people addicted to pharmaceuticals obtaining them legally today than smoking crack. The Doctor writing Oxy scripts gets a new Lexus while the dude selling a few grams of coke get's a lengthy jail stay.

I hear ya, but I just don't see the level of self destruction on a mass scale from legal drugs, as from the illegal drug trade.

Welfare absolutely contributes to the drug problem. If food and shelter is provided, you can do drugs, hardly work, and not die. You can also have kids, get more welfare mone (because of the kids) and spend that on drugs and not the kids.

I'm not sure what I would do, but i'm not sure that banning drugs and associating harsh penalties helps anything either. There is a lot o money to be made, easily, by selling drugs. For some, this is an easy way out of poverty that always eventually backfires

If anyone has ever heard of William F. Buckley, i'm a fan of his positions of illegal drugs. He had a lot of good ideas.

Welfare absolutely contributes to the drug problem. If food and shelter is provided, you can do drugs, hardly work, and not die. You can also have kids, get more welfare mone (because of the kids) and spend that on drugs and not the kids.

I'm not sure what I would do, but i'm not sure that banning drugs and associating harsh penalties helps anything either. There is a lot o money to be made, easily, by selling drugs. For some, this is an easy way out of poverty that always eventually backfires

If anyone has ever heard of William F. Buckley, i'm a fan of his positions of illegal drugs. He had a lot of good ideas.

No doubt, but there's plenty of people wearing Rolexes doing the same thing, that's all I'm saying, why single out the people in a lower economic bracket and say they're the problem?

No doubt, but there's plenty of people wearing Rolexes doing the same thing, that's all I'm saying, why single out the people in a lower economic bracket and say they're the problem?

Certainly problems with addiction can happen to anyone, but there is a large problem specific to the lower economic bracket.

I don't think there is much we can do as a society to help the pill popping rolex wearer. But there are steps we can take to curb the vicious cycle problem that is fostering increased drug use among our lower class.

it royally ****es me off that there are a ton of people out there that do live off of welfare, in public housing and are addicts. I believe in welfare and public housing for those who are in need, but for the addict it is an enabler, we are actually doing them a disservice. Not to mention wasting public money, but that happens all the time anyway.

I'm also not advocating kicking them out on the street. A while back here it was proposed that we drug test those who are in the welfare system. and if they fail, the choice is either stop recieving benefits or take a (free) rehab program. It was shot down.

Education is also an answer. But People are Not likely to care abou school if they know they can get welfare money regardless. If everyone on your block (or public housing) is recieving welfare, and the 'rich' guys are drug dealers... Its easy to get 'stuck'

Now I would not like to be drug tested by the government either, but if the gvt can drug test gvt employees then what is the problem with testing folks on extended welfare?

Last edited:
**** welfare. I have to work so should everything else. I don't mind unemployment insurance temporarily (like 6mo not 3yr) but if there truly aren't enough jobs for everyone than that is an efficiency problem.

<---<^>--->

MILES CITY - Miles City police say a man shot himself in the ankle after his request for painkillers for his back was denied.
Police Chief Doug Colombik says the 48-year-old man left Holy Rosary Healthcare hospital upset Monday night after he asked for the painkillers. Colombik says the man grabbed a gun from his car shot himself outside in the hospital parking lot to get treatment.
The Miles City Star reports that the hospital was temporarily locked down after the shooting.
The man was not identified. Colombik says prosecutors are reviewing the case to determine whether to charge him with negligence and endangerment for allegedly firing a gun close to the hospital.

http://missoulian.com/news/state-an...154-11e1-bdc6-0019bb2963f4.html#ixzz1hqPGXEYJ

Back