CPL in a weekend?

neilw2

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Neil W
How many hours do you guys think I will need to get ready for a SE CPL checkride provided the following:

1. Have the 250 hrs done
2. IR rating
3. Have a Complex endorsement and already have the 10 hrs training in the complex aircraft
4. Have my night X-country with an instructor and 300 mile solo day cross country done
5. Night hours done
6. CPL written passed
7. Never trained for the CPL maneuvers

I'm thinking of setting up a weekend with an instructor, doing a few hours on Saturday, maybe a few hours Sunday AM, and taking the test Sunday afternoon. I figure this will be the cheapest and easiest way for me to get this done. Is this doable or do you guys think it will take longer than 3-5 hrs training to be ready for checkride?

Lots of people do it, I did a combo CSEL/CSES in a three day weekend.

Depends on how quick you can master the CPL maneuvers. I have students hit it right the first time and others that stumbled with one or two. Suggest you go up by yourself and try them and see how it goes.

Depends on how quick you can master the CPL maneuvers. I have students hit it right the first time and others that stumbled with one or two. Suggest you go up by yourself and try them and see how it goes.
This. Everyone is different. The commercial maneuvers take some folks longer than others to master/get comfortable with.

For me, the hardest part of the Commercial ASEL was simply landing the damn 172! I had been flying twins and various Pipers for most of my 250 hrs. Only had around 20 hours in 172s and hadn't flown one in something like 2 years when I went for weekend to do my finish up for the SEL addon. I picked up the airwork just fine, but my landings on the first day absolutely SUCKED!

I'm not sure I ever could do an eight on pylon.

Without commenting on Henning's feet :)no:), as was mentioned above learning the maneuvers differs from person to person depending on their inherent skills and familiarity with the airplane(s).

Can it be done in one weekend? Depends on the factors I mentioned above AND how many hours you actually plan on flying each day and whether you plan on doing the check in one airplane or two.

You said "a few" hours each day which is kinda ambiguous. My guess is no. I'm not saying it can't be done...but if someone came to me with the numbers you have and said I need to get this done with a few hours on Saturday and a few on Sunday morning and then do the checkride on Sunday late morning or early afternoon, I'd be telling you that you'll be ready when I say you're ready and would not make any promises.

Also, you mentioned that you had the NIGHT dual XC completed. What about the day dual XC?

If you've never done any of the commercial maneuvers before, you may in in for a rude awakening if you attempt to pull it off in a weekend "cram course".

JMHO

You can cram the written in a week end ,getting the maneuvers down in a week end may prove difficult,if you've never practiced them before. Go up with an instructor ,learn the different maneuvers ,then rest for an hour or two ,then try them on your own. That will give you an idea of how much practice you'll need.

Did your night hours include ten to's and landings at a towered airfield?

Last edited:
Without commenting on Henning's feet :)no:), as was mentioned above learning the maneuvers differs from person to person depending on their inherent skills and familiarity with the airplane(s).

Can it be done in one weekend? Depends on the factors I mentioned above AND how many hours you actually plan on flying each day and whether you plan on doing the check in one airplane or two.

You said "a few" hours each day which is kinda ambiguous. My guess is no. I'm not saying it can't be done...but if someone came to me with the numbers you have and said I need to get this done with a few hours on Saturday and a few on Sunday morning and then do the checkride on Sunday late morning or early afternoon, I'd be telling you that you'll be ready when I say you're ready and would not make any promises.

Also, you mentioned that you had the NIGHT dual XC completed. What about the day dual XC?

If you've never done any of the commercial maneuvers before, you may in in for a rude awakening if you attempt to pull it off in a weekend "cram course".

JMHO

Definitely makes since. I was just trying to gauge how hard these maneuvers are to master.

As for the dual XC- am I wrong in thinking that the the dual long cross country used for my IFR rating could be used for that requirement?

You can cram the written in a week end ,getting the maneuvers down in a week end may prove difficult,if you've never practiced them before. Go up with an instructor ,learn the different maneuvers ,then rest for an hour or two ,then try them on your own. That will give you an idea of how much practice you'll need.

Good idea, will do thanks!

Did your night hours include ten to's and landings at a towered airfield?

Yes, got them covered.

Will someone please explain why the FAA requires some of the XC to be DUAL? Your going for a CPL when it is expected you can navigate XC by YOURSELF. No CFI is going to hold your hand while paying passengers expect you to land at the intended airport and not get lost. Never could understand their reasoning on this except, of course, they are the FAA and are not happy until we are unhappy.

Will someone please explain why the FAA requires some of the XC to be DUAL? Your going for a CPL when it is expected you can navigate XC by YOURSELF. No CFI is going to hold your hand while paying passengers expect you to land at the intended airport and not get lost. Never could understand their reasoning on this except, of course, they are the FAA and are not happy until we are unhappy.

Never understood that either, or why it used to have to be VFR. I'm glad they changed that one.

If you take an intro to aerobatics course, you will have no great issues with the Commercial maneuvers, they are simple coordination/energy management maneuvers.

I didn't think the commercial checkride was the cakewalk everyone says it is. No way I could have done it in a weekend. My oral wasn't all that difficult, but it was about 3 hours long and very thorough. That in itself took a bit of prep work.

That said, I think it also depends on the DPE. Mine had a reputation for being thorough, which was fine with me. The DPE took the privileges of being a commercial pilot very seriously and imparted that on me. Others see the CPL as a glorified PPL.

:yeahthat:

I didn't think the commercial checkride was the cakewalk everyone says it is. No way I could have done it in a weekend. My oral wasn't all that difficult, but it was about 3 hours long and very thorough. That in itself took a bit of prep work.
I think what people are referring to is a situation where you have done all the pre-reqs in advance, are very comfortable flying the airplane and just need the final prep and signoff.

That is essentially what I did. I had been flying with a CFI for a while and then he was mobilized for a year in Qatar (Navy Reservist). So I went to one of the accelerated 'weekend' places, and did the finish up.

That said, I think it also depends on the DPE. Mine had a reputation for being thorough, which was fine with me. The DPE took the privileges of being a commercial pilot very seriously and imparted that on me. Others see the CPL as a glorified PPL.
Especially if the DPE wants a Chandelle to actually be a Chandelle, and not a 180 degree climbing turn.
In other words, commercial maneuvers seem easy, but to actually do them properly is pretty tough IMO. I've know of many guys who just winged it without ever actually executing the maneuver properly and passed. I'm sure I couldn't pass the CPL without some serious practice.

It is my understanding that if you used a x-c as a training requirement for one rating, you can't use it for another. I could be wrong on that.

As far as getting it done in a weekend, do you have a DPE on board with your plan? I don't know many that would hold a Sunday afternoon slot based on you may or may not be ready.

It is my understanding that if you used a x-c as a training requirement for one rating, you can't use it for another. I could be wrong on that.

That doesn't make much since to me...if you did the tasks for another rating or not you still did the task. Although the way the FAA is I wouldn't be surprised if there is a rule that defies logic. Anyone know if that is true and where it is referenced in the FAR?

As far as getting it done in a weekend, do you have a DPE on board with your plan? I don't know many that would hold a Sunday afternoon slot based on you may or may not be ready.

No I don't have the DPE lined up yet. Like I said I was just seeing if this is something somebody ever did. It seems to me like it would be the most efficient way to do the rating if I can guarantee I could be ready. After reading the replies, however, I guess these maneuvers are harder than some has previously made them out to be and I definitely can not guarantee I will be ready.

Looks like the best way to do this is get the maneuvers down, then figure out scheduling the test. I should stop trying to reinvent the wheel!

Last edited:

The explanation is simple, the 141 schools have went to the FAA and said we need more money , so can you make it to where they have to pay us more hence the a added dual time. Or maybe its cause they just don't teach them right the first time.

If you want to do a weekend one, use a place that advertises weekend ones, typically they have a DPE on staff.

If you want to do a weekend one, use a place that advertises weekend ones, typically they have a DPE on staff.

That's what I was going to say. Livingston Aviation at KALO (Waterloo, IA) offers a 3 day CPL. They have a DPE on staff (might be the owner?). I was going to link you to their website, but they seem to be having database issues at this time.

Back