CPAP Stats

Ventucky Red

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Jon
I'll be heading over to the AME for my Third Class later this week and wanted to get some feed back on the numbers I pulled from Sleepy Time this morning...

Note, I have only had the CPAP since 1/17/17 (47 days so far), and missed well over a week as I had left it at a hotel... they sent it back to me USPS Parcel Post third class :mad:.. Kit Carson could have gotten it to me faster

Here we go...

Usage and Therapy Efficacy
  • Hours per night 7.4 last week - 5.35 last 30 days
  • AHI 0.57 - 0.68
  • Obstructive 0.10 - 0.08
  • Hypopnea 0.16 - 0.34
  • Clear Airway 0.30 - 0.37
  • RERA Index 0.10 0.06
With the exception of the usage are these numbers within spec?

Also, are leak and pressure statistics important?

Thanks for your input

Leak, not so much. But for the record, they will want to know your prescribed pressure.

With the "away for a week" issue affecting your 30-day number, you might need to consult with your AME on how to document that it happened, especially if that is creating the less than 6 hours average on your 30 day number.

And in general, how you you feel now that you're sleeping better?

The FAA renewal letter asks for two things:

Average > 6 hrs/night ( you have 5.36 ) at greater than 70% (? not sure about this) of possible nights and it sounds like you have 40/47 for 85% usage. They really want a full year of data, but they do make allowances for the first timer. And they really want it in such a way that 70% of the nights are > 6 hrs, not just that you average > 6 hrs over 70% of the nights. So it doesn't work that you can sleep very late on weekends and add to that > 6 hrs average, that's not how it works. At least 70% of the nights need to be > 6 hrs.

The other thing they want is a letter from your treating physician that verifies the treatment is working - that's where the other numbers will get covered. Your doc will have to write a letter saying he's reviewed your treatment and agrees that it's working.

edit: I am pretty sure that AHI < 5 is considered treated, you are < 1.

I think you are a first timer with this? You might need to ask your AME ahead of time what you will need to bring him, I think he has a checklist for this situation.

And in general, how you you feel now that you're sleeping better?

Felling a lot better thank you for asking; however, I can't attribute all of this to the CPAP.. I have also gotten back in the gym and have dropped a couple of LBS; as well, I am not pounding down a 12 oz sirloin at 8:00 PM and going to bed 10 minutes later...

My initial diagnoses was right @ 5 and the take home sleep study was after a late dinner with a client that included glasses of wine and desert while staying in a hotel.. Just saying.... wish I could have taken a mulligan on that..

That said, I have accepted the diagnoses and hopefully I can get over this hump with out too much back and forth..

Appreciate your help

Once you get things settled down, you might consider re-testing to see if you still have OSA. There are several criteria involved in the diagnosis and AHI >=5 is one of them.

Really, though, an OSA SI is a pretty simple thing to deal with.

I'll be heading over to the AME for my Third Class later this week and wanted to get some feed back on the numbers I pulled from Sleepy Time this morning...

Note, I have only had the CPAP since 1/17/17 (47 days so far), and missed well over a week as I had left it at a hotel... they sent it back to me USPS Parcel Post third class :mad:.. Kit Carson could have gotten it to me faster

Here we go...

Usage and Therapy Efficacy
  • Hours per night 7.4 last week - 5.35 last 30 days
  • AHI 0.57 - 0.68
  • Obstructive 0.10 - 0.08
  • Hypopnea 0.16 - 0.34
  • Clear Airway 0.30 - 0.37
  • RERA Index 0.10 0.06
With the exception of the usage are these numbers within spec?

Also, are leak and pressure statistics important?

Thanks for your input
As was said earlier, the spec. is >75% of nights with >6 hour's usage.

I'd suggest a reschedule of the AME visit until you get your numbers in order. You are setting yourself up for a denial and the additional time and cost of resubmitting.

I'd suggest a reschedule of the AME visit until you get your numbers in order. You are setting yourself up for a denial and the additional time and cost of resubmitting.

Already pushed it back to the end of the of the month..

I can't imagine having to deal with this on the FAA end.

Back in 2007 I was diagnosed with Severe Obstructive Sleep Apnea. A cardio pulmonologist was my doctor. He gave me a CPAP machine and sent me on my way. Fast forward 3 months and the machine was making my day to day life worse. I woke up feeling worse than I did without the machine. After 3 different doctors, I found an ENT that actually gave a **** and talked to me. He actually showed me the results of my sleep study. My apnea number was 106, my oxygen saturation level in REM sleep was 62% :eek::eek::(:( It actually freaked him out. He immediately recommended surgery and refused to do the surgery without giving me a tracheotomy. 2 weeks later I had the first surgery, tonsils, adenoids, turbinopaletoplasty, and the trach. 9 days in the hospital, with one of them in ICU. I remember 5 of the days as I slept the other 4! Second surgery a month later was a uvulopalatoplasty. He told me before the surgeries that I would still need the CPAP machine and that the surgery would likely drop my apnea number by only half.

Well, it destroyed the apnea. I walked into the surgery at 343lbs, walked out of the hospital losing 12 of those lbs. Lost another 55lbs during the next year. Feel great now, but have gained some of the weight back.

All those that have sleep apnea, I suggest getting your testosterone checked as well. Mine was at a paltry 107.

Update....

Saw the AME and got my 3rd Class with a "Not Valid for Any Class After 4/30/2018" in the remarks.. pretty much I need to see him in a year with a year's worth of CPAP statistics because I didn't already have and SI.

Update....

Saw the AME and got my 3rd Class with a "Not Valid for Any Class After 4/30/2018" in the remarks.. pretty much I need to see him in a year with a year's worth of CPAP statistics because I didn't already have and SI.
That's sounds about right. The SI will be good for 5-6 years, but requires an annual report, that's why the 4/30/18 date is on there. Eventually you will get a letter from FAA that will explain it all, expect to see something like "SI expires in 2022 (or 2023)."

edit: I am pretty sure that AHI < 5 is considered treated, you are < 1.
Confirming: saw a new doc yesterday and asked him about my results. He said he is looking for 5 or below and I'm like .5 so all is good. Took me 2 months to get in to see a new sleep doc (prior doc quit the business) but I finally have my medical back (thanks Dr. Bruce!).

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back