CPAP Compliance Without recording

wilzup

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Eric D
Dr Chien,
I just got the dreaded letter from the FAA, requiring me to provide additional information on my compliance for CPAP use.
I have been using a CPAP for almost 10yrs religiously, however the device(s) I have are older and do not recorder usage. How do I provide a cumulative annual report without the data? Based on the below info, it looks like I can report that my CPAP does not record and then provide a personal statement at the end of one year.
This is my first 3rd class renewal and the first time I reported the use of a cpap so, I guess the want to ensure I am using it correctly.

A current status report from the treating physician indicating that OSA treatment is still effective.
  • For CPAP/ BIPAP/ APAP:
    • A copy of the cumulative annual PAP device report which shows actual time used (rather than a report typically generated for insurance providers which only shows if use is greater or less than 4 hours). Target goal should show use for at least 75% of sleep periods and an average minimum of 6 hours use per sleep period.
    • For persons with an established diagnosis of OSA who do not have a recording CPAP, a one year exception will be allowed to provide a personal statement that they regularly use CPAP and before each shift when performing flight or safety duties.

Thanks,
Eric

Sounds to me like you need a note from your doctor and have one year to buy a new machine. Having said that if you are only going to be a PPL medical reform should be done within a year :) and you wont need to report anymore since in theory most SIs in effect go away.

Yeah, I get that the reform should be completed within a year but, I only have 90 days to respond. So, I am hoping to get them the correct info on the first try.

A current status report from the treating physician indicating that OSA treatment is still effective.
  • For CPAP/ BIPAP/ APAP:
    • A copy of the cumulative annual PAP device report which shows actual time used (rather than a report typically generated for insurance providers which only shows if use is greater or less than 4 hours). Target goal should show use for at least 75% of sleep periods and an average minimum of 6 hours use per sleep period.
    • For persons with an established diagnosis of OSA who do not have a recording CPAP, a one year exception will be allowed to provide a personal statement that they regularly use CPAP and before each shift when performing flight or safety duties.

You aren't the only one in this boat. At least FAA is allowing a one-year grace period to purchase a new CPAP.

So for this situation you need a really really good letter from your doc. It cannot be a "three liner", and it has to contain words like,
"no daytime sleepiness"
"Compliant nightly with rare exceptions"
"HAS been using his nonrecording machine successfully for ___years and will be replacing it this month"
"I consider him to be well treated and with without any findings from J. Clin Sleep Medicine, V5 #3 2009 p 263-275.

This letter has to show that the doc is going to the line for you, and has the knowledge to do so. He has to be his blazing best.

And the personal statement.

This is the essential problem that the guys with jaw advancement devices, have (MAD's).

So for this situation you need a really really good letter from your doc. It cannot be a "three liner", and it has to contain words like,
"no daytime sleepiness"
"Compliant nightly with rare exceptions"
"HAS been using his nonrecording machine successfully for ___years and will be replacing it this month"
"I consider him to be well treated and with without any findings from J. Clin Sleep Medicine, V5 #3 2009 p 263-275.

This letter has to show that the doc is going to the line for you, and has the knowledge to do so. He has to be his blazing best.

And the personal statement.

This is the essential problem that the guys with jaw advancement devices, have (MAD's).
Thanks Doc!
I will schedule an appt asap and get her to write it up. I would like to run it by you before I send it in to see if you think it will pass the scrutiny test, if you don'r mind.

eric

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back