Cozy with Centurion 2.0 diesel engine

Dwight B. Van Zanen

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
DBVZ
I know that the Centurion 2.0 diesel is being substituted for the Lycoming 0-320 in Cessna and Piper aircraft in Texas. The 0-320 is also used in the Cozy. Has anyone heard of a diesel Cozy? With a fuel burn rate of about 4-5 gal./hour, it would seem like a good fit to make a very long range cruiser. While the Centurion 2.0 is rated at only 135HP, the torque is what turns the prop and the performance is equivalent or better to a 160HP AVGAS Lycoming.

I know that the Centurion 2.0 diesel is being substituted for the Lycoming 0-320 in Cessna and Piper aircraft in Texas. The 0-320 is also used in the Cozy. Has anyone heard of a diesel Cozy? With a fuel burn rate of about 4-5 gal./hour, it would seem like a good fit to make a very long range cruiser. While the Centurion 2.0 is rated at only 135HP, the torque is what turns the prop and the performance is equivalent or better to a 160HP AVGAS Lycoming.

If you look at the performance numbers it 135hp Centurion 2.0 is equal to a 150hp Lycoming at sea level. Max speed is higher because of the turbo.
Performance

spacer.gif

spacer.gif

» Take off run in 1,000 ft AMSL: 265 m 869 ft
spacer.gif

spacer.gif

spacer.gif

» Take off distance (to clear 50 ft): 547 m 1,794 ft
spacer.gif

spacer.gif

spacer.gif

» Rate of climb, MSL: 690 ft/min
spacer.gif

spacer.gif

spacer.gif

» Rate of climb at 10,000 ft: 560 ft/min
spacer.gif

spacer.gif

spacer.gif

» Max. speed at 10,000 ft: 129 KTAS
spacer.gif

spacer.gif

spacer.gif

» Consumption of diesel at 10,000 ft, 110 KTAS: 17.5 l/hr 4.62 gal/hr
spacer.gif

spacer.gif

spacer.gif

» Range at 10,000 ft, standard tanks,
45 min reserve at load 55% : 898 NM
spacer.gif

spacer.gif

spacer.gif

» Range at 10,000 ft, long range tanks,
45 min reserve at load 55% : 1,053 NM
As far as a Centurion 2.0 powered Cozy, I have not seen one. I have seen a 160hp Deltahawk diesel in a Standard Velocity. The fuel burn was ~5.5gal/hr@ 165kts and performed the same as the 180hp lycoming powered Deltahawk. I like their Idea of a 2cycle engine. With 4 power pulses/cyl it should be smoother than a 4cyl diesel and should have less stress on the mounting and on the prop. The parts count and reliability will also be a lot less without the valvetrain. I'd like to see someone put the Centurion 4.0 (350hp) in a Lancair 4 and cruise at 275kts with a fuel burn of 14gal/hr

I understand your performance numbers must be for the Centurion in a Cessna. Those numbers would not be very good in a Cozy.

I understand your performance numbers must be for the Centurion in a Cessna. Those numbers would not be very good in a Cozy.
Yes Those numbers are for a C172. I posted them to show that takeoff/ climb numbers are about equal to a 150hp 172. A 160hp 172 climbs at 770f/min gross.

Last year, this same dealer in Texas was offering a new Skyhawk with the diesel engine. I believe the price was $245,000. Instrument changes were made to accommodate the Thielert. Otherwise, the bird was factory spec. It was a Nav II if I recall as the G-1000 instrument package was not designed to be modified for the diesel. I see this as a coming change, however.

http://www.vanbortel.com

Last year, this same dealer in Texas was offering a new Skyhawk with the diesel engine. I believe the price was $245,000. Instrument changes were made to accommodate the Thielert. Otherwise, the bird was factory spec. It was a Nav II if I recall as the G-1000 instrument package was not designed to be modified for the diesel. I see this as a coming change, however.

http://www.vanbortel.com

Their website offers several Centurion powered Cessna aircraft available. My interest is in puting it in a Cozy, and if anyone had done it yet. Seems like a fit to me for a long range aircraft. Just wonder about the TO roll and cruise speed in a Cozy, with just 135HP, but it does have over 300FP torque. If the power is a little light, perhaps the DeltaHawk.

Your TO distance and Climb would prob be close to a 150hp Lycoming powered Cozy. Cruise will prob be a bit higher (at higher than 10K feet) due to the turbo. But at a cost of $39,500. The Deltahawk weighs in at 60lbs more with 25 more HP for $25,850. You could always throttle back to save fuel (as if 5.5gph is not low enough). The Deltahawk also gets 100%hp at 16K feet and 65% at 30K feet. Plus its an American company.

Your TO distance and Climb would prob be close to a 150hp Lycoming powered Cozy. Cruise will prob be a bit higher (at higher than 10K feet) due to the turbo. But at a cost of $39,500. The Deltahawk weighs in at 60lbs more with 25 more HP for $25,850. You could always throttle back to save fuel (as if 5.5gph is not low enough). The Deltahawk also gets 100%hp at 16K feet and 65% at 30K feet. Plus its an American company.
Thanks for that. Very interesting that the DeltaHawk testing was initially done with identical Velocity RG aircraft, one with a 200HP Lycoming and the other with the 160HP 4V DeltaHawk, with the lower HP DeltaHawk showing better perfomance especially at higher altitudes. 60 gal fuel with a burn rate of 5.5gph is 10 hours endurance with almost an hour reserve. And that is at 160+kts, so 1600 NM range. And some Velocity have a larger tank. I would probably want to do this in a fixed gear version for insurance reasons, so perhaps 80 gal tank 150kts @ 5.5gph, endurance of 14.5 (13.5 + 1 reserve) and range of 2025NM.

The Velocity SE - FG is the smaller fixed gear version, and has a uselul load of 1000 pounds. With 80 gal fuel that still leaves enough for 2 people and some baggage. Exactly what I was hoping to accomplish. A 2000 NM range for a 2 person cruiser. 13.5 hours in a plane seat. Better rig some "relief" facilities.

WoW. I don't see how anybody can fly for more than 4 hrs at a time. I hve been watching all 3 of the diesel ac engine MFG for about 2 years now because I want to build a diesel powered RV-10. Right now the SMA 230hp diesel fits the Hp range the best but they will not sell to the experimental market (Its just as well because I have heard rumors that the engine is hard on props and motor mounts). The 200hp DeltaHawk is on the bottom of the Hp scale but looks to be the best bet (1100ft/min climb at gross is good enough for me and the few extra kts gained from more Hp I would not miss.I planning on putting tabs in the tank at 20gal/side when/if I need to load the plane to 800lbs of passengers and luggage. That will still allow 4 hrs with an hr. reserve @160kts.

WoW. I don't see how anybody can fly for more than 4 hrs at a time. I hve been watching all 3 of the diesel ac engine MFG for about 2 years now because I want to build a diesel powered RV-10. Right now the SMA 230hp diesel fits the Hp range the best but they will not sell to the experimental market (Its just as well because I have heard rumors that the engine is hard on props and motor mounts). The 200hp DeltaHawk is on the bottom of the Hp scale but looks to be the best bet (1100ft/min climb at gross is good enough for me and the few extra kts gained from more Hp I would not miss.I planning on putting tabs in the tank at 20gal/side when/if I need to load the plane to 800lbs of passengers and luggage. That will still allow 4 hrs with an hr. reserve @160kts.
I read on the DeltaHawk site that they expect the 4V to be capable of as much as 250HP with intercooler and modified exhaust. But with the current main bearings they could not go 2000 TBO with that much power. Wait and see. They may be able to make some changes in the bearings and meet your need in 2 or 3 more years. If you can wait that long.

250hp would be great out an engine of its weight. 235 hp would be good to. The 250hp engine would be great in the Ravin 500 http://www.ravinaircraftusa.com/
Very high usefull load 4 place retract. 240kts True AS (185kts indicated) @ 15000ft burning 10gph. I would lower the onboard fuel capacity to 100gal leaving 1050 full fuel usefull load and over 2000nm with reserves. Thats enough to set the record for fastest coast to coast run across the US in an experimental AC.

250hp would be great out an engine of its weight. 235 hp would be good to. The 250hp engine would be great in the Ravin 500 http://www.ravinaircraftusa.com/
Very high usefull load 4 place retract. 240kts True AS (185kts indicated) @ 15000ft burning 10gph. I would lower the onboard fuel capacity to 100gal leaving 1050 full fuel usefull load and over 2000nm with reserves. Thats enough to set the record for fastest coast to coast run across the US in an experimental AC.
Nice looking plane. No prices on the kit or the demo they have for sale, on the web site. I assume the fuel burn of the DeltaHawk would be 10-11 at that HP. Just keep the fuel capacity at 160 and install tabs for 50 each side, so you would have the option of an endurance of 16 hours and a range of over 3000NM!. Fly to Maui from LA, with a reserve of 1000+ NM (5 hours).

Last edited:
Back